More New Hires at FedEx

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ilandopr

Sixteen start this coming monday. Then fourteen the following monday. Rumors abound about another big bid later this summer. No end in sight.

Appetite for Destruction!

"Welcome to the jungle

It gets worse here everyday

Ya learn ta live like an animal

In the jungle where we play"

Sorry to say, IMO, a strike is the only way. Not sure? Just take a look at Tony C's avatar. It speaks volumes. How'd you like to look across the negotiating table and see that mug staring back at ya? (hat tip to Capt. C)

angry tanker said:
any idea on the planes they will get?

Before this turns into a negotiating post, I will try to answer your question. I am guessing, but probably 3/4 on the 727 panel and 1/4 on the 10 panel. Maybe a few 727 first officer positions, but I doubt it.

Boy, I sure would love a shot at flying the purple. I cringed when I read the memo, I believe from your CP, that requires the three people -who have flown with you- to vouch their grandmas grave on them, oh, but the P.S. on the memo " this is not an attempt to get all of our old buddies hired". O.K, so how does one who has done the work, paid the dues, just didn't strap on a green flight suit have a shot? Do you think once the majors start hiring in 6 to 8 years, that FedEx will return to pre-911-can't keep people in our classes- mode?

The squadron buddy mentality is frustrating.

And yes, I am prior military, I simply didn't fly for them.:)

Do you think once the majors start hiring in 6 to 8 years, that FedEx will return to pre-911-can't keep people in our classes- mode?

the "old majors" have zero or seriously changed pension plans since pre-911

SWA, Airtran, JBLU have 401(k) plans but no true old-fashioned pension. So, you invest in the stock market, if it performs, great, if not, sucks to be you.

The "Kit Darby dream" airline retirement is GONE. By the way, his own airline pension is gone also if I am not mistaken.

United and USAir pensions are now run by the PBGC, with max payout of $45,000 a year. Thats what a 747 Captain gets when he retires next year.

By the way, since PBGC rules are that payouts start at age 65. Airline pilots retire at age 60.

By the way, the other airlines who still have pensions, such as AMR and NWAC and CAL, must compete in the free marketplace with this Ch. 11 airlines, who have no pensions to worry about anymore.

So, now, you have CEO's at these places trying to stay competitive and looking at killing their pensions also, "just to stay alive" in the marketplace

nice career huh....

I seriously doubt anyone would spend 6-8 years at FDX/UPS (in today's environment), and leave to be a new hire at American or United.

Last edited:
ASH said:
Boy, I sure would love a shot at flying the purple. I cringed when I read the memo, I believe from your CP, that requires the three people -who have flown with you- to vouch their grandmas grave on them, oh, but the P.S. on the memo " this is not an attempt to get all of our old buddies hired". O.K, so how does one who has done the work, paid the dues, just didn't strap on a green flight suit have a shot? Do you think once the majors start hiring in 6 to 8 years, that FedEx will return to pre-911-can't keep people in our classes- mode?

The squadron buddy mentality is frustrating.

And yes, I am prior military, I simply didn't fly for them.:)

I am sorry you feel slighted by FedEx. I can only guess as to the frustration. Last count I heard we had 11,000 applicants for maybe 400 a year if we are lucky. From what I understand there is a monthly board where the ACP and CP get together to go over applicants. In that board there are pilots with each of the backgrounds (Military and Civilian). I am sure that if you look at the classes the compostion would be comparable to pre-911 and AMR, DAL, and UAL during their hiring boom. I was hired in 2000, and my class was exactly 50/50 military to civilian. At that time (I was a KC-10 IP in the AF), AMR was hiring anyone in our unit who was an AC. We had individuals getting the call right after upgrade for an interview at AMR. Again this was pre-911, and things have changed. But FedEx isn't any different than UPS, AMR, DAL, and UAL when it comes to hiring military pilots. Sorry, for the rant.

My suggestion to you, as has been told many times, is to find someone at FedEx you have flown with who is willing to sponsor you. Schedule an pre-interview with you sponsor to meet the chief pilot or his ACP. He/she should be very aware of what is required of to sponsor a candidate.

Ash,

Also, I forgot. You make it sound like FedEx had a mass exodus of people prior to 9-11 when a "major" called. I don't know if that was the case or not, but I don't forsee that happening in the future. Cargo has always been more stable than Pax. But, I do forsee the Pax airlines coming back strong by the end of the decade (not that it helps you). I might be the minority, but I think wages will return for them as well, as the airlines recover. I

Latest resources

Back