More growth for ASA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
John Pennekamp said:
2. The 705 will be flown for the 70 seat rate in the new contract since it is the same type with little differences. It will not be flown for 50 seat pay. The 70 seat pilots at ASA will not be taking a pay cut.

I think Pennekamp is correct. I Haven't heard too much cool aid being thrown around in the pilot lounge over the last month or so. It may just be that I haven't been there at the right time, but it seems like MGMT has backed off of there pay cut stance a bit. I will say, however, that I don't think we should expect a large raise. Maybe a slight increase on the 50 plus cola for the duration of the contract. On the 70, I bet we keep what we have plus cola for the duration...

Just my thoughts

SiuDude said:
Straight from SGU:
3 GECAS (former Independence) CR2's that are already on property will be put in use in July. The first 705 is scheduled for delivery in August (that's firm) with an unknown number to follow later. Hiring 40 a month through at least July. Official minimums are still 600/100.
Skywest Inc. also reported an income of $.57 a share, a 80% increase over last year.
Where did you get that information on hiring 40 per month until July? Have any additional class dates been announced after the May 22 and June 5?

FL990 said:
I think Pennekamp is correct. I Haven't heard too much cool aid being thrown around in the pilot lounge over the last month or so. It may just be that I haven't been there at the right time, but it seems like MGMT has backed off of there pay cut stance a bit. I will say, however, that I don't think we should expect a large raise. Maybe a slight increase on the 50 plus cola for the duration of the contract. On the 70, I bet we keep what we have plus cola for the duration...

Just my thoughts

I think FL990 is right on the $$$. Our compensation section will most likely be the LEAST contraversial. The worst (scheduling) is not behind us.

A couple of points,

1) We do not have a rate in our contract for flying an aircraft with greater than 70 seats. If they want to stuff a first class, or more seats in the tube I fly, then they are doing it for one reason........MORE REVENUE! For most of history, airline pilot pay has been based on the capacity to generate revenue. More revenue, more pay. It is a concession to fly the 705 at our current 70 RATES! While I could see the same group of pilots flying it (very few differences compared to the 200-700), I think there ought to be a couple of bucks an hour override, or something similar. I also feel that our F/A's ought to get a premium for the training and service for first class.

2) In Jerry's World, I see more of what happened this winter with airplanes headed to ASA and then shifted to Skywest because of costs. Even though the latest DOT Form 41 data shows that ASA's cost per block hour is $1760 ($322 flight crew) compares to Skywest's cost of $2087 per hour ($327 flight crew). When asked about this differnce in cost, JA claimed the numbers posted to the DOT were BS. Hummm??? So, tell us the truth. OK, I'll tell you. It is all about controlling the union. These last minute shifts are a one, two punch for JA. It beats ASA down, and it lifts up Skywest. Thereby creating a morale that will hopefully keep off the union even though it is costing him more.

If JA really wanted to save money all it would cost him is about 10 bucks. That would cover the cost of a padlock and three feet of chain to wrap around the front door handles of 100 Hartsfield Centre Parkway.

John Pennekamp said:
The worst (scheduling) is not behind us.

Scheduling (Sect 13) has been TA'd! And, Scott Hall stated that he could not honor our current contract, but that he would honor the new one. So there you go, all is right with the world! Don't you feel better now? Time will tell for sure.

Hoser

John Pennekamp said:
General, two points:

1. OUR MANAGEMENT employed the strategy of "getting the airplanes and hoping the DL pilots will approve it", not the pilot group. Direct your ire appropriately! Pilots don't order airplanes, we just fly where we're told.

2. The 705 will be flown for the 70 seat rate in the new contract since it is the same type with little differences. It will not be flown for 50 seat pay. The 70 seat pilots at ASA will not be taking a pay cut.

I agree they won't be flown for 50 pay. However they will try for a common type. Where everyone is qualified to fly all aircraft and lines will be made up of 50 70 and 76 seat flying.

Why can't Scott honor our current contract? That is an interesting statement.

ASApuppy said:
I think there ought to be a couple of bucks an hour override, or something similar. I also feel that our F/A's ought to get a premium for the training and service for first class.
That's probably not going to happen. Passengers willing to spend the dough to ride first class on ASA may be interested to know that ASA does NOT pay to clean the airplanes at outstations during the day. First class service means nothing when your window is coated with a layer of head grease...

Last edited:
Eric said:
Why can't Scott honor our current contract? That is an interesting statement.

Isn't it though! Hell, just look at the ton of contract grievances we have against the company for violating our current agreement . And, these have to be resolved before negotiations end I believe.

But, bottom line, it's his statement. Next time he's in the crew lounge ask him why.

Hoser

FL990 said:

Just my thoughts

The reason for the lack of Kool aid parties in the lounge is that managment finally got the clue that it was pissing the pilot group off and we didn't give a SH**!

Latest resources

Back