• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More fallout from SWA crash - pax and rw length

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We have a chart which gives estimated landing distances for the MD-80 on a contaminated runway. It shows distance with and without reverse. The difference is about 1,000 ft. But for a typical landing weight, the distance with the use of reversers was about 6,500 to 6,800 ft. The available landing distance at MDW beyond threshold was around 5,800. These estimated distances do not include the FAR fudge factor; they are the bare minimum. I wouldn't land an 80 there under these conditions (I don't have the actual 737 numbers so can't really comment about it).
To be fair to the crew I would say that the subjective statements about poor or fair braking action are just that: subjective. Maybe it is time to have Mu readings reported, and to make landing field friction requirements just like we have visibility requirements.

Still wanting to know about ALD tables from the manufacturer for certification. Why is it sticking in my head that these are w/o TRs?

FN FAL said:
When there isn't a bomb on the plane, the government is required to find a retard and murder them, it's the law.

So how in gods name are you still alive?

Fyi

Landings under Braking Advisories Less than GOOD
Braking action reports less than GOOD are classified according to the most critical term (FAIR, POOR, NIL, or combinations). Operations are prohibited on all surfaces classified as ‘NIL.’
Evaluate landing performance using the OPC. The -700 OPC landing module computes a deceleration rate as a combination of reversers and brakes. (-300/-500) The OPC computes landing performance based on ‘brakes only’ deceleration. Actual braking performance using brakes and thrust reversers will decrease computed landing distance.

For the Boeings that I have flown. Auto-brakes does this fo ya
Min = 3 kts p/sec
Med = 6 kts p/sec
Max = 3000 psi

It doesnt matter whether t/r are used or not, you still get the same deceraltion value. As far as the new 737 go, I assume it works the same as other Boeing products

FN FAL said:
When there isn't a bomb on the plane, the government is required to find a retard and murder them, it's the law.
Are you sure you're washing all the lead off your hands after you shoot that FAL?

sf260pilot said:
You do not know this simple conversion? Do you really need to be posting questions then?

Isn't it a factor 1.159 (knots to mph)? If so it was still an 11 knot TW to a 6.5K ft contaminated runway with snow and BA fair and poor, at night. Two ATA's refused 31C, wanted 13 and diverted. Does this make the SWA crew brave or gamblers? Dice rollers at the very least.

My standard comfort level BA poor max TW is 5 kt unless you have gobs of RWY length.

Honestly I do like SWA (except for the pay to play part), but three of their 737's have overrun runways in the last six years. The FAA should address this trend I believe. Their PR crew at Love will really have their hands busy with Wright plus this after it gets out.

Go ahead, I've got my fire suit on now.

OK Cross..... here I go.

MDW - yet to be determined. So 2 ATA guys diverted? What are THEIR procedures under these circumstances. Unless you know individual carriers ops it's impossible to determine what is "safe" in their eyes. IF the data says it's safe and legal to land then it's safe and legal. Let's wait until the NTSB completes their investigation and releases data before we start crusifying the crew. I'm sure running off the runway was not in the agenda.

AA killed 256 people in 2001 because the pilot flying input enough rudder movement to pull the tail off the airplane. The AA pilots in Cali killed how many people because they flew into a mountain after improperly programming to FMC? How many people died in Little Rock when an AA chief pilot tried to land in a thunderstorm and ran off the end of the runway?

But for the grace of God...... let's try to learn something from this and ALL be better for it.

This isn't about the Wright Ammendment or bad press. This is about an aircraft ACCIDENT in which a six year old boy passed away.

Show a little dignity!

Gup

Latest resources

Back