Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More Comair news or just incorrect news?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Comair MEC defined any flying done by a Delta Connection carrier after Feb 2nd that was previously flown by Comair will be considered "struck work". This was obviously assuming the judge ruled for the company's imposed rules, allowed a strike and there was actually a strike last week. Of course this has not happened, yet. Delta can transfer all of Comair's flying away and really it can't be considered struck work unless there was a Comair strike. However, if all Comair planes go to Skywest as the SLC paper suggests, we will consider Skywest pilots not scabs but definitely scum (the 700+ upgrades and 700+ newhires that would result from this transfer). I know everyone says "I'm just a pilot", I can't control what the company does as policy. But eventually we're just going to have to learn to say no.

When 10 or so planes are transfered here and 1000 hours are transfered there, that's just reality for the legacy carriers these days, but when several airlines (Skywest, Mesa, Chautauqua) are willing to essentially help shutdown a company that was once the best in the regional business, it's pathetic and you should be ashamed to work there.

That's my rant for now. Cheers.

Did you read the part about 131 Comair jets? That seems like a few more than 12 seventy-seaters.

Yea, Did you read "waiting to here"? Only the 12 jets are official.

The RFP wasn't all Comair either, it had some Mesa, some Shuttle America, and some CHQ also. All that proves is the author doesn't know what he is talking about

Did you read the part about 131 Comair jets? That seems like a few more than 12 seventy-seaters.

We don't have 131 jets in our fleet right now. Here is how they got that number 131. Go to this link.

http://news.delta.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=10331

43 70 seaters
50 50 seaters
50 76 seaters

equals 143 total aircraft

If you subtract 12 Comair 70 seaters we lost.

equals 131

They are referring to balance of aircraft in the RFP.

The Comair MEC defined any flying done by a Delta Connection carrier after Feb 2nd that was previously flown by Comair will be considered "struck work". This was obviously assuming the judge ruled for the company's imposed rules, allowed a strike and there was actually a strike last week. Of course this has not happened, yet. Delta can transfer all of Comair's flying away and really it can't be considered struck work unless there was a Comair strike. However, if all Comair planes go to Skywest as the SLC paper suggests, we will consider Skywest pilots not scabs but definitely scum (the 700+ upgrades and 700+ newhires that would result from this transfer). I know everyone says "I'm just a pilot", I can't control what the company does as policy. But eventually we're just going to have to learn to say no.

When 10 or so planes are transfered here and 1000 hours are transfered there, that's just reality for the legacy carriers these days, but when several airlines (Skywest, Mesa, Chautauqua) are willing to essentially help shutdown a company that was once the best in the regional business, it's pathetic and you should be ashamed to work there.

makes sense

We don't have 131 jets in our fleet right now. Here is how they got that number 131. Go to this link.

http://news.delta.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=10331

43 70 seaters
50 50 seaters
50 76 seaters

equals 143 total aircraft

If you subtract 12 Comair 70 seaters we lost.

equals 131

They are referring to balance of aircraft in the RFP.

Thanks Scott...That makes perfect sense.

Good job.

Now all that is left to do is for me to write the Salt Lake paper and tell everyone that I am sleeping with the authors wife. Seems to be par for the course since articles don't have to be acurate.

Interesting how you fail to include ASA in your list, when they are the ones who've taken the majority of the Comair airplanes.

Interesting how you fail to include ASA in your list, when they are the ones who've taken the majority of the Comair airplanes.

They were given to Skywest, who transferred some to ASA after moving many of their airplanes previously. ASA like Comair has no control over where their airplanes go. And the general sentiment I've heard among ASA guys is they're not happy about flying Comair airplanes but they have their hands tie thanks to this Skywest/Delta game.

Well except for a few idiots on this board, the majority of pilots at Skywest don't want your airplanes either. But we have no control over where the airplanes go.

Why is anyone talking about Comair caving? Besides the previously mentioned fact that a contract may be imposed and a judge might bar a strike might not even leave us any choices. That is not caving.

My additional point is this. Why worry about us caving. Are you afraid your contract will suffer indirectly? Don't look up at Comair for your future troubles, look down at who is taking your flying! I know we have this mentality of pattern bargaining, but it isn't really working in the regional industry right now. It is more like we need pattern bargaining in reverse. We all need to focus squarely on the cheapest carrier and pressure them to raise their contract because that is where our flying is going. They are our "competition" in this bidding war.

I know, easier said than done. I just don't understand when a guy at the #3 paying DCI carrier beats up on the #2 paid DCI pilot for taking a cut. Not saying that it is inconsequencial, but it isn't the real problem. The real problem is the last place DCI guy running away with it all.

Not flaming or saying that anyone "wants" to take our flying. But that is what happens whether you want to realise it or not. When management says, your pay is or is not "competitive", this is your clue that you are competing with some other faceless pilot with mouths to feed.

Last edited:
http://origin.sltrib.com/ci_5152069

This month, Delta will shift the flying of 12 Canadair regional jets to SkyWest, The company also is waiting to hear whether Delta will award it another 131 Comair jets.

Probably a negotiating tactic. There is no logistical way to transfer 131 aircraft over night. That's not to say that CMR isn't going to feel a little more pain, but it won't be 131 aircraft. Perhaps overtime CMR will shrink to the size it was before DAL purchased them, but it will take more than just one more RFP. JMHO.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back