More BOHICA For UAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Big Beer Belly said:
The U.S. Bankruptcy Code allows a court to dissolve labor contracts if the terms would prevent a company from returning to profitability. But the affected unions have said they would walk off the job if their contracts are terminated. Particularly galling to many is the prospect of losing their pensions.

Very interesting. Maybe this whole issue of beating up on labor is finally coming to a head.

Although I hope more knowledgable folks on this board will comment, here is my 2 cents until they do---

The courts and government want to see labor put 'back in thier box'. We have no real power as a group. Especially with the Railway Labor Act. The academic input on this 'unusual' combination of BK and the Act will do nothing more than comment on what continues to unfold. They will merely record it and put lessons learned in subsequent business texts.

The Republican congress and president will only show interest if it looks like votes will be lost.

I don't think the mechanics care if its legal or not to strike. I know I wouldn't. Management, lawyers and academics can debate the legality of a strike until the cows come home but if the worker has had enough he will walk.

Do I hope for a strike? No. I hope UAL management offers an olive branch and quits treating thier people like airplane parts. But I've learned that is not the American way in the new 'global economy'.

With the financial shape UAL is in, what is the practical difference if they all strike or if they all quit?
They will all be out on the street either way. . .

Big Beer Belly said:
United maps novel legal strategy in labor fight

In short, United hopes to use the power of the courts to compel workers to accept new pay and benefit terms the company would dictate.

this will make the summer of 2000 look like a picnic

DaveGriffin said:
GL

I guess you forgot about the parking lot committees that did everything they could to persuade those who were greensliping to mend their ways. Emotions were running pretty high back then.

C2K negotiations = Greensliping Bad
Post 9/11 = Greensliping Good

Post 9-11 greenslipping is done to bring in needed revenue to keep this boat afloat. Back then, we had plenty of reserves in terms of cash. We don't have enough sim time now to train everyone, since the retirements have necessitated upgrades just to complete flights. We are booked solid, and at the same time we are slowly bringing back furloughs. The greenslips being farmed out now are out of necessity----160 Captains retired last Sunday. It has been like that for the last year---1200 Captains retired. And, greenslips now are cheaper than inverse assignments---which pay double versus time and a half for greenslips. Those flights will be flown, regardless. It is time for you to understand this point and maybe you will be back someday soon, although I wish you would try to look for other employment. Get back into the Navy Seals---starting working out and holding your breath underwater....

Bye Bye---General Lee

I can't for the life of me see how the court can rectify the two positions. You can't have status quo, which prevents a job action under the rla, and violate the status quo at the same time. How the he!! does that work. Also, once the decision to strike is made, won't it dirupt things for st least a couple of weeks? People go back to work after a couple of days of "illegal job action" and they take a couple of weeks to ramp up again and move all the stranded pax.:confused:

Reebo said:
this will make the summer of 2000 look like a picnic

I doubt it will even get that far. This is coming down to one of two issues.

1) The unions will cave and management will get their way.

or

2) The unions will stand firm, strike and the company will collapse. I doubt the creditors are going to keep this thing alive during a work stoppage, given their financial condition. The key people is cash flow. Once that stops or is interrupted, they will pick up their toys and leave the playground.

There are several things that come to mind here.

One, only a fool will think that should UAL succeed on this 1113 motion and the pension issue, they won't attack the contract further. Either now or at a later point in time. They are looking (as all management) for a precedent.

Two, why is ALPA so silent? Where is the support for their brother unions? This smells just like the recipe from the 1983 disaster at CAL.

Three, how UAL management expects to get this company back on track after pumping their employees over and over is beyond me. These MBA's will never learn, especially in a service industry, you can not keep hosing your front line workers.

Last edited:
Boeingman said:
Three, how UAL management expects to get this company back on track after pumping their employees over and over is beyond me. These MBA's will never learn, especially in a service industry, you can not keep hosing your front line workers.

That's true but until someone says enough, companies will keep doing it. I think the same thing about US companies moving their production outside the US. When will we wake up (including management)? The giant boob only has so much milk.

Latest resources

Back