More BOHICA For UAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ThisistheDream said:
WOW what does kit darby have to say about this!!!
Kit says....."There will be an increase in demand due to pilots, mechanics and flight attendants retiring, moving on to other jobs and leaving the industry. Now...for only $125. you can make yourself more competetive in this exciting environment."

Boeingman said:
There already is precedent set for a union striking after a court imposed 1113 filing. Wheeling Steel back in the late 80's.

Was Wheeling Steel governed by the Railway Labor Act? It's the RLA that UAL management will attempt to use to block a strike. I think this is unprecedented for an employer to use the BK process to terminate a contract governed by the RLA and then at the same time seek protection of the RLA to prevent its employees the right to self help.

FDJ2 said:
Was Wheeling Steel governed by the Railway Labor Act? It's the RLA that UAL management will attempt to use to block a strike. I think this is unprecedented for an employer to use the BK process to terminate a contract governed by the RLA and then at the same time seek protection of the RLA to prevent its employees the right to self help.

Well, Lorenzo tried it in 83 (in a round about way I guess), but he ultimatly failed. While you're correct about the RLA this would be akin to UAL management wanting the best of both legal worlds and protections applying to them.

I am not an attorney nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but if you are abrogating a contract negotiated under the RLA using the 1113 process, I would think RLA goes out the door.

Think about it...the RLA does not allow a strike unless negotiations have been exhausted. For UAL to ask the judge to abbrogate under an 1113 motion, the argument could be made that negotiations are in fact at an impasse.

Last edited:
Boeingman said:
I am not an attorney nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but if you are abrogating a contract negotiated under the RLA using the 1113 process, I would think RLA goes out the door.

Think about it...the RLA does not allow a strike unless negotiations have eben exhausted. For UAL to ask the judge to abbrogate under an 1113 motion, the argument could be made that negotiations are in fact at an impasse.

All excellent points.

General Lee said:
Can people be forced to do the status quo? Yes. During our Contract 2000 talks a bunch of our guys decided they didn't want to work overtime (extra work--greenslips). Delta took them to court and the pilots lost. They were "forced" to accept overtime flying. "You will work more, and LIKE IT!"

Is this the same thing United is going through? Probably not, and I don't know how it will pan out. Very interesting, though.

Bye Bye--General Lee

GL

I guess you forgot about the parking lot committees that did everything they could to persuade those who were greensliping to mend their ways. Emotions were running pretty high back then.

C2K negotiations = Greensliping Bad
Post 9/11 = Greensliping Good

"Thursday's AMFA announcement beefs up that threat, saying mechanics at Alaska Airlines, ATA Airlines, Horizon Airlines, Independence Airlines, Mesaba Airlines, Northwest Airlines and Southwest Airlines would strike in sympathy with United's mechanics if a bankruptcy judge approves the pension shift."

I highly doubt it.

This is complete and utter bullsh*t... but then again, what more can you expect out of UAL management? If they succeed in both venues i.e. throwing out contracts AND legally blocking a strike, then the rank-and-file membership should all just resign. No strike, just flat out resignations. Imagine if 80% of the workers resigned immediately following that decision.

Resignation is not the same as self-help/strike. You can quit anytime you want.

If UAL management succeeds in canceling the contracts AND prevents a strike, what choices do the employees have? Resign or adapt. How can any judge allow this to happen? If this is allowed to happen I wonder how many other airlines will do the same thing?

Freight Dog said:
This is complete and utter bullsh*t... but then again, what more can you expect out of UAL management? If they succeed in both venues i.e. throwing out contracts AND legally blocking a strike, then the rank-and-file membership should all just resign. No strike, just flat out resignations. Imagine if 80% of the workers resigned immediately following that decision.

Resignation is not the same as self-help/strike. You can quit anytime you want.

If I were UAL employee, I'd being doing all I could to convince my fellow employees to do as you suggest. I'd change but one thing. Under my plan, everybody would have a TWO WEEK resignation letter in their briefcase, just waiting for the courts to rule against us. As soon as the ruling came down, we would submit them "en masse".
Then you sit around hoping that enough of your fellows actually submit the letter.

I know very few people at UAL, and have no close friends there, so I can't begin to predict the outcome. I would hope that enough workers would follow through to leave the company with a decision. Let em leave, or find a way to keep em.

Best of luck ya'll
enigma

SlapShot said:
If this is allowed to happen I wonder how many other airlines will do the same thing?

All of them.

If this happens and ALPA doesn't wake up over this, they never will. Then again, these bozo's in Herndon have been sitting on their ass while the industry crumbles for the last few years already. This action by UAL, if it succeeds will doom what miniscule protections and leverage we have left. It will be the final and lasting kick in the crotch.

The ramifications to us all with this scenario go far beyond the mechanics at UAL. We are about to witness the final phase in the destruction of collective bargaining and contract enforcement as we know it today.

FDJ2 thanks

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back