More Age 60 perspective

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whistlin' Dan said:
What you're saying then, is that neither of your kids will EVER be able to use the computer for more than 30 minutes, because neither can agree on which should be the first to do so.

How sad for your kids. I hope you're not on dial-up.
No, what I'm saying is that my kids knew the rules going into this agreement.

What you're telling your kids is that they can change the rules as they see fit. What happens after your daughter's first extension on the dirt bike is over and she wants another 15 minutes, then another because "it's fun" and another 15 minutes becasue "last week I didn't get to ride becasue the chain broke and I had to get it fixed." How long do you put off your younger one? Until it's dark, and he has to go to bed before he rides?

How sad for your kids. I hope you live in Alaska where it never gets dark and your son can wait forever for "his turn."

Purpled said:
He's not asking that the law/rules be changed to his advantage. That's markedly different. Don't take opportunity out of his pocket, just to put it in yours...if you are supporting the change.

Actually, I'm not hurting his opportunities at all. Over at "my house" we have never furloughed a pilot....or an employee. Thats a nice feeling because at my former legacy carrier, furlough was their normal way of doing business. Thats why I left there and came here 10 years ago.

Maybe at his carrier a better management team with a solid growth plan and cost control plan could make his return come sooner rather than later.

I'm not the one that got this ball rolling, but once I saw that it was going, I took a look at things and figured that this would probably be good for my family and me....so I jumped on board.

Not sure how it is all gonna play out but...with the ICAO changing in November, do you really think its gonna stay the same in the U.S.? Really? Even our FAA has already come out and said that they are now officially "neutral" on the ago 60 issue.

You saw what happened to the Wright Amendment today....Age 60....?

Tejas

Sluggo_63 said:
No, what I'm saying is that my kids knew the rules going into this agreement.

What you're telling your kids is that they can change the rules as they see fit. What happens after your daughter's first extension on the dirt bike is over and she wants another 15 minutes, then another because "it's fun" and another 15 minutes becasue "last week I didn't get to ride becasue the chain broke and I had to get it fixed." How long do you put off your younger one? Until it's dark, and he has to go to bed before he rides?
What I'm telling my kids is that as situations change, rules can be changed. If one of your kids is in AP classes, he or she probably needs more than 30 minutes on the computer each night to do their homework. Why limit them to 30 minutes just because the other kid doesn't want to be on the computer?

Rules that are arbitrary in nature are always open to amendment. If somebody can offer more than anecdotal evidence that pilots over the age of 60 are more dangerous than those past, say, 55, I'll listen to it. Otherwise, the "Age 60" rule is one that needs to be "retired..."

"They" will change the rule even if "we" don't want it because the euros want it that way and the amerikan government won't stand up to them.

My bottom line is that the company I'm currently contracted to provide services for will negotiate to the mat to reduce my annual multiplier when the rule increases the regulated age. So the argument about "still" being able to retire at 60 is yet another lie.

I don't want to do this job one minute longer than I have to...not one minute.

And for those of you who love to throw the lost pensions of the old guys in our faces, one question. What about the furlouged guys?

I'm sure another 5 years on the street won't hurt will it?

The safety argument is bogus.

Who says all the over 60 guys are on the top of the list? What about those of us who started over after a career in the military?

Trying to stay out of this argument...that last post however!!
That was a decision those folks made and they knew the ramifications!!
Los1
14 years AD
Still in AFRES...proud to serve (plus the retirement @ 60 will be a good thing!!)

Big Beer Belly said:
I take it that you are OUTRAGED that Congress is considering raising it to an equally offensive arbitrary age 65? :rolleyes:

BBB

That's exactly what I am saying. 65 is just as arbitrary to me as 60. It still would be age discrimination at 65 just as it is at 60. I'd rather it stay at 60, but that's purely for personal reason. I can completely understand the argument for both sides.

Not arbitrary it matches international standards set by ICAO.

Latest resources

Back