Mooney ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
psysicx said:
Why are mooneys so cheap? There seems to be a lot of them for sale, whats wrong with them?

Mooney filed Chapter 11 in 2001 and spent the next 3 or 4 years searching for finance. They also had several management changes. When they shut down the production line, a lot of Mooney service center dissappeared. And even thought they are up and running, building 3 models, some think they won't make it.

They build a good product at a good price. You can get their top of the line 220-knot Mooney-Bravo with TKS and all the bells and whisles for about what a Cirrus SR22 cost. I'll take the Mooney, (as soon as I find a Sugar Mama to pay for it).

The head mechanic at my home airport told me that Cessna is the only plane worth buying due to the readily available parts. He said owners of Beech, Piper, and Mooney have to wait forever to get parts. Company says they'll call the client once a part becomes available, could be months.
I'm no expert. Just guessing and repeating hear say. I've heard that the cockpit in the Mooneys can be a little tight and uncomfortable for some people. I was comfortable in a M20J. I know from experience that they land very fast (not such a good thing for those 2000' long strips.) Also, the only shock absorbers in the landing gear are rubber biscuits so expect to have your teeth rattled out if you land on a runway that is shabby.
Other than that....I love the way they look and the cruise speed. I would love to have one.

mcjohn said:
I've heard that the cockpit in the Mooneys can be a little tight and uncomfortable for some people.

Everybody say that, but actually, there is more room inside the Mooney than a C-182. But a lot less height. But if you're a wide-load, you probably need a Cirrus or PA-32.

Mooney width = 43.5 inch, Height = 44.5
C-182 width = 42.0 inch, Height = 48.0
Cirrus width = 49.0 inch, Height = 50.0

Mooneys do feel cramped. Not much room to move around.
The seating is more like a race car too. You're almost laying down.

Mooneys are a good buy as long as you can accept the lack of room. They are a bit fragile compared to the Cessna singles. The wet wings can leak, particularly if they are subjected to a lot of hard landings like in a flight training environment. I worked for a flight school with two 2000 M20Ss and we had constant problems with fuel leaks. Some of the really old ones had wooden structural parts in the wings and can be bought for very little $, but may require some serious maintenance.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back