Mooney ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dhoward said:
They are a bit fragile compared to the Cessna singles.

I don't know about this statement. If you are talking about crashworthiness I believe that the Mooney with the full roll cage around the cabin area makes you safer in a Mooney than a Cessna. If you are talking about hard landings and general abuse, that's debateable. The Mooneys landing gear is nearly indestructable, which is also true for the Cessna main gear but not so much for the nose gear. Now, when you are talking replacement parts the Cessna wins hands down. I don't know if Mooney has improved the situation, but when they were in bankruptcy I know that getting parts was a serious issue. I suspect it's better now, but it will never equal Cessna part's availability.

Consequently, the hardest landing (by far) I have ever experienced was in a Mooney. My student decided to level off about 20' above the runway and full stall it from there. My plees of "power, power, power, go around!" were not answered and we hit the ground hard. The student finally decided that it would be a good idea to apply full power approximately one second AFTER we hit the ground. We were so slow when we hit that we didn't bounce, by the time I wrestled control of the aircraft we had gone a few seconds with full power, nearly full aft elevator and we still didn't go back in the air. We flat spotted a tire, but the mechanics found no other damage. Now that's a strong airplane and probably why the Mooney still holds a place in my heart.

DrewBlows said:
I don't know about this statement. If you are talking about crashworthiness I believe that the Mooney with the full roll cage around the cabin area makes you safer in a Mooney than a Cessna. If you are talking about hard landings and general abuse, that's debateable. The Mooneys landing gear is nearly indestructable, which is also true for the Cessna main gear but not so much for the nose gear. Now, when you are talking replacement parts the Cessna wins hands down. I don't know if Mooney has improved the situation, but when they were in bankruptcy I know that getting parts was a serious issue. I suspect it's better now, but it will never equal Cessna part's availability.

Consequently, the hardest landing (by far) I have ever experienced was in a Mooney. My student decided to level off about 20' above the runway and full stall it from there. My plees of "power, power, power, go around!" were not answered and we hit the ground hard. The student finally decided that it would be a good idea to apply full power approximately one second AFTER we hit the ground. We were so slow when we hit that we didn't bounce, by the time I wrestled control of the aircraft we had gone a few seconds with full power, nearly full aft elevator and we still didn't go back in the air. We flat spotted a tire, but the mechanics found no other damage. Now that's a strong airplane and probably why the Mooney still holds a place in my heart.

What the? Dang... holy crap! That would've made me pee in my pants. lol

Latest resources

Back