• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

satpak77

Marriott Platinum Member
I am looking at Mooney 201 airplanes, due to their performance and good
fuel consumption, and had a few questions. I WAS looking at RV-8's but the wife wants a four place family truckster instead of a aerobatic machine.

:rolleyes:

1) Which model year is more desirable than other years (SB's, ADs, etc
reasons...) ?

2) Which year did the tan colored panel come out? Can an older 201 be
retrofitted with the tan panel?

3) Which autopilot is recommended? If I had two 201's side by side,
which autopilot is preferred?

etc etc

any other info on 201's is appreciated.

I am looking at Mooney 201 airplanes, due to their performance and good
fuel consumption, and had a few questions. I WAS looking at RV-8's but the wife wants a four place family truckster instead of a aerobatic machine.

Well, as long as your kids are still very young. As you probably know that thing is pretty tight up front and in the back too. Can't fault you on wanting one though, excellent plane to fly.

Don't get a 201 if you want a 4 place airplane, get a 182 or something. It's too damn small in the back if your kids are over 5 or so.

A family truckster. That sound like a C182 and not a Mooney. I have 3-400 hours in various Mooneys and would not call them trucksters. Sportster is more like it. That said, the C182 is a great family machine. The kids will keep growing and you will be hauling stuff. Ease of entry, good view, 135-150kts depending on the model, fixed gear.... the list goes on. C182.

Start looking at a 231. It will carry 4 people, cruise at 165 kts @13 GPH and has a service ceiling of 24000'. It also carries 5 hours of fuel. It may cost a little more than a 201, but the turbocharged performance is worth it! And you'll smoke the C182 everybody likes so much. A 201 is going to be too small for a family. I am a partner in a 231 and would recommend this aircraft to anyone that travels in small a/c alot.

Start looking at a 231. It will carry 4 people, cruise at 165 kts @13 GPH and has a service ceiling of 24000'. It also carries 5 hours of fuel. It may cost a little more than a 201, but the turbocharged performance is worth it! And you'll smoke the C182 everybody likes so much. A 201 is going to be too small for a family. I am a partner in a 231 and would recommend this aircraft to anyone that travels in small a/c alot.

Interesting... I thought the 231 was a 201 (same dimensions and seating for both) with a different powerplant. Not true?

I would disagree with the above. Unless you live on the west coast and do a lot of mountain flying the 231 doesn't make sense. It has significantly higher maintenance and operating costs over the 201.

The 201 is tight for space if you're fat, but not if you are tall and skinny. Most people who look at the back seats of a 201 do so without someone who has already gotten in the front seat and ran it up far enough for them to reach the rudder pedals. Once that is done there is a fair amount of room in the back seat.

The 201 is a great machine and would certainly be my choice for personal aircraft. That said, the arguments for the C-182 shouldn't go unheeded. It's a fantastic all around machine as well. It is all going to come down to your exact mission profile and budget.

These are the guys to talk to in regards to specific maintenance questions.

Typhoonpilot

P.S. The early 80s models of the 201 are good.

Latest resources

Back