Mokulele Airlines Begins Interisland Jet Service

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Poahi

Mokulele Airlines, the newest player in Hawaii’s interisland air market began service Wednesday with jet flights to and from Kona and Lihue.

The carrier’s launch however was met by a few minor glitches that delayed early morning flights and check-ins.

“Our internet didn't connect well and it caused some delays in our check-in,” said Mokulele President and CEO Bill Boyer.

The delays were exacerbated when a jetway cable at one of the gates used by Mokulele snapped, causing some flights to be pushed back over an hour. Despite the initial setback Boyer is confident his company can find a niche in the Hawaii market alongside heavyweight Hawaiian Airlines and former newcomer Go!

"I think that there's enough room for a third carrier,” said Boyer. “Basically there's low cost carriers and there's carriers that offer first class and more of a luxury type service and that's what we offer.”

Mokulele’s service to Kauai and the Big Island was made possible after Boyer reached an agreement with Republic Airways to lease two Brazilian made Embraer 170 jets. The twin engine plane is configured to seat 70 passengers and is more fuel efficient then aircraft used by either Hawaiian or Go!

Boyer said the fuel efficiency of his jets is a major reason Mokulele can offer reasonable fares. “This jet was the plane to take on the high fuel (and) oil prices,” he told Khon2.

Earlier this week Mokulele shook-up the interisland air market by announcing introductory one-way fares to Kona and Lihue for $45. Go! quickly lowered its holiday fares to $49 through December 31. Hawaiian followed suit with one-way fares of $45 to Kona and Lihue.

Iris Kurashige said she enjoyed the roominess of Mokulele’s Embraer 170 aircraft. The Manoa resident flew to Lihue Wednesday after winning tickets from a local radio station

“The seats were nice,” said Kurashige, who said she would fly with Mokulele again. “Everything is an aisle seat or a window seat.”

Boyer said the spaciousness of the aircraft will be a key selling point to both tourists and locals as the company moves forward. “These are big jets with a lot of room,” he said. “I'm 6'2'' and I'm sitting in an 18.5’’ seat. It's the widest seat in any coach seat in Hawaii.”

While Mokulele has hired 150 people, half of them former Aloha Airlines employees, flight crews on the two Embraer jets come from the mainland, which is one of the conditions of Mokulele’s lease with Republic.

Boyer said Mokulele plans to add another Embraer 170 jet to its fleet in about three weeks with the possibility of an additional three aircraft sometime next year. The carrier plans to launch jet service to Kahului, Maui in March of 2009.

Currently all Mokulele flights to Maui, Molokai and Lanai and are handled by the company’s charter service on Cessna Grand Caravans, a prop-type plane that seats up to nine passengers.

Andrew may be reached at [email protected] or ph. 591-4263.
Story Updated: Nov 19, 2008 at 6:26 PM HST
http://www.khon2.com/news/local/34785834.html

Last edited:
Mokulele’s service to Kauai and the Big Island was made possible after Boyer reached an agreement with Republic Airways to lease two Brazilian made Embraer 170 jets. The twin engine plane is configured to seat 70 passengers and is more fuel efficient then aircraft used by either Hawaiian or Go!

While Mokulele has hired 150 people, half of them former Aloha Airlines employees, flight crews on the two Embraer jets come from the mainland, which is one of the conditions of Mokulele’s lease with Republic.

Boyer said Mokulele plans to add another Embraer 170 jet to its fleet in about three weeks with the possibility of an additional three aircraft sometime next year. The carrier plans to launch jet service to Kahului, Maui in March of 2009.

I thought we were told the agreement was for up to four aircarft. This article implies a maximum of 6 aircraft. I am all for some extra flying, but this is the first time I have heard of this many airplanes flying in Hawaii.

Well it looks like we've found the actual date Mesa's going to close it's doors.
Now if the septic tank siphon masters at Gheyjhet would go down the same path, the world would rest easy!
PBR

"I think that there's enough room for a third carrier,” said Boyer. “Basically there's low cost carriers and there's carriers that offer first class and more of a luxury type service and that's what we offer.”

Luxury? Taking a regional airline with six big seats up front and trying to make it anything more than GO is funny. 20 minute flights- how much damn luxury can you get. Dude trying to sound like he's up there with Hawaiin. Yeah, minus the "mainline" paychecks. Buncha 23 year old wonder pilots making $23 an hour.

Didn't need any other airlines to come in back when you had 2 respectable carriers there.

I have to laugh at how the carriers differentiate themselves. One says it's a 'low cost airline' one is 'Hawaiian' and one is 'luxury' airline. There's only one problem - they all have the same fares, they hire mostly local people and their seat pitch and width are within an inch of each other. In fact, Mokulele's "widest" seat width is 1/4 inch wider than HAL. Who picks an airline for 1/4 inch?

Didn't need any other airlines to come in back when you had 2 respectable carriers there.

That's very true. At least it gave some of the Ground Ops people some work.

Good luck out there, and Aloha.

BTW. HAL provides a very good cabin svc. Wish them the best. I don't know if the "Mainland" RPA FAs can match it.

Last edited:
I just hope they both don't take a nap on the way to Kona!!! Our friends at Go! have already done that! Do these guys also have ipods, hairgel and backpacks as standard equipment on board???

I have to laugh at how the carriers differentiate themselves. One says it's a 'low cost airline' one is 'Hawaiian' and one is 'luxury' airline. There's only one problem - they all have the same fares, they hire mostly local people and their seat pitch and width are within an inch of each other. In fact, Mokulele's "widest" seat width is 1/4 inch wider than HAL. Who picks an airline for 1/4 inch?
A ghojet's boyfriend, .250" gets past the hair and into the meat!
PBR

Latest resources

Back