Mistakes because of Fuel Savings?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA doesn't fly the -800.

Maybe I wasn’t clear. 5400ft is a very adequate amount of runway for a longer and heaver version of the 737.

canyonblue737 said:
Dude you don't have a clue what you are talking about. Stopping margins on the 5400 rwy can be as high as 2000+ feet depending on the weight of the 737, information made clear with onboard data SWA runs for each landing. The 50 seat CRJs don't have slats and their approach speeds are higher and their stopping capablities less. MDW has 4800 OR LESS ft. available (beyond GS) on their LONGEST runway yet ATA, SWA, Frontier, and others land 737's, A320's, and 757's there around the clock. At BUR the runways are even shorter yet Jet Blue, SWA, and other majors operate there all the time.

I guess professionally responding with regard to your first sentence is out of the question? With all due respect to you as an aviator, I do know how the feds look at things from being an examiner and line pilot. I never said that landing on 35 at PHL was not within the capability of your airplane with regard to weight, speed, runway conditions and weather, etc. What I am saying is that you have the option at PHL of landing on 35 with a 5460' runway versus 27R at 9500.' Even if you have adequate safety margins for the shorter runway, this would call into question the PIC's judgement after an incident or accident. I'm just the messenger. A simple thing like blowing a tire or a steering problem after touchdown could turn a simple, everyday landing on 35 at PHL into a careless and reckless operation. I've seen how some of these Inspectors operate and one of them may have an axe to grind with SWA and you just happen to be the lucky victim.

Chicago MDW and Burbank do not have the option of longer runways available so this is not a pilot judgement call at these particular airports on a normal day. When there are more conservative safety options available, take advantage of them. It may lead to a lot less headaches later.

ex j-41 said:
We have a cool down limit but not a warm up. And the cool down is 2 min.
Don't you work at PSA? Here is direct cut and paste from your POH

"

During all starts, do not exceed 75% N
1 for 2 minutes after start,

or until all operating indications are in the normal range,
whichever is longer."

Dude you should read your manual. (page 3-8)​

Last edited:
CFIT said:
Can you tune your car radio and drive in the right lane?

Your'e in the wrong industry.......

There is always someone isn't there to make unprofessional comments like this. They try to make it sound like they are so perfect and never make mistakes. It is people like this that make the big mistakes.

I agree with you. There is no reason to wait to the last minute. When a pilot rushes they almost always will make at least a small mistake.

Starting #2

I challenge you Captains to allow your FOs to start the 2nd engine at their discretion. It will develop their situational awareness. A chimp can start an engine but making the decision when is the important part.

CatYaaak said:
Wow...you're serious.

Is anyone else here thinking "Captain Planet"?

And what's wrong with that?

ERJFO said:
If the weight and balance and performance numbers were calculated correctley and allowed the T/O and the crew used the correct thrust and flap settings it doesn't legaly matter what "would" have happened.

Uh huh. Tell that to the NTSB and ALJ when you run one off the end of runway... stomp you foot and scream "but it was legal!. That's what sets PICs apart from Captains. The judgement to know book numbers don't always apply to the real world.

wheelsup said:
I used to see SWA land 35 in PHL quite often, less now after their latest overrun accident but I see it every now and then. 5,400 runway, B737...? I've never 'flown' a 737 so I have no idea what you can do safely but in the CR200 it's doable but can get a bit sketchy if you don't pound it in.

I never saw any other operators doing it...maybe someone with some 737 experience can pipe in here but to me it just looks odd, and from a bystanders view it certainly looks like they are forgoing safety to save a few bucks on gas.

At mid weights and a dry runway, 5400 is no sweat. Big huge brakes and low ref's due to leading edge slats do wonders.

I don't have time on the 73, but do have time in some bigger stuff and we could comfortably use 6000 feet with no big issues.

flyby said:
I challenge you Captains to allow your FOs to start the 2nd engine at their discretion. It will develop their situational awareness. A chimp can start an engine but making the decision when is the important part.

well said.

Latest resources

Back