Missed Approach Flying Technique

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

your_dreamguy

My airline has a requirement to TRACK a runway heading until acceleration height, then to fly a heading.

For example, let's say you are taking off RWY 18 and RWY 18 has a runway heading of 180 deg. Let's say you take-off with a 30 kt cross wind from the right. ATC assigns you to fly runway heading after takeoff. Our company technique would be: after rotation, crab to the right, use the magenta track indicator and keep the track indicator on a heading of 180 until acceleration height. Then at acceleration height we would fly a heading of 180. In other words, at accel height, we would transition such that our heading indicator would read 180 deg.

However, our company never explained missed approach in visual conditions. Let's say RWY 18 accel height is 500' AGL. Let's say you are coming into land on RWY 18 with the same conditions (i.e. 30 kt right crosswind). Visual go-around instructions are to fly runway heading...If I needed to do a go-around, would I assume to TRACK a heading of 180 until accel height, then fly a heading of 180 once accel height is achieved?

Runway heading is not "track". In your scenario, what would happen in parallel runway operations (with departures occurring alongside arrivals)? If you utilize "track" on your miss, and the departing aircraft (upwind) utilized heading, you could potentially find yourself in a bad spot.

Skipper

For example, let's say you are taking off RWY 18 and RWY 18 has a runway heading of 180 deg. Let's say you take-off with a 30 kt cross wind from the right. ATC assigns you to fly runway heading after takeoff. Our company technique would be: after rotation, crab to the right...

And very possibly cause a loss of separation with the traffic on the parallel runway. Bad idea.

Runway heading means runway heading. It's specifically explained in the Pilot/Controller Glossary, if you need a reference to get this procedure changed at your company (which you should). Emphasis is mine:

RUNWAY HEADING- The magnetic direction that corresponds with the runway centerline extended, not the painted runway number. When cleared to "fly or maintain runway heading," pilots are expected to fly or maintain the heading that corresponds with the extended centerline of the departure runway. Drift correction shall not be applied; e.g., Runway 4, actual magnetic heading of the runway centerline 044, fly 044.

I thought this was the Majors thread?

Well, my major does the same thing on V1 cuts. Dunno why. Doesn't make sense. Strong crosswind + parallels could get interesting.

CA1900 is absolutely correct. Went through this in the AF when we first got 75's. Some guys would fly magenta line in leiu of the heading. They lost seperation and almost go a violation. Your SOP should be changed.

I havn't been up to CyyZ Toronto in a while but this was the case for the missed approach, fly track not heading. This was the only place that I have seen this on a Jepp chart

AIM specifically says to fly the runway Heading, not the the track, unless specified otherwise.

"Yeah, there's a problem. You, because you're dangerous. Dangerous and foolish. And that makes you dangerous." Val Kilmer as CA Tom Kazanski in Iceman, the Later Years

However, our company never explained missed approach in visual conditions. Let's say RWY 18 accel height is 500' AGL. Let's say you are coming into land on RWY 18 with the same conditions (i.e. 30 kt right crosswind). Visual go-around instructions are to fly runway heading...If I needed to do a go-around, would I assume to TRACK a heading of 180 until accel height, then fly a heading of 180 once accel height is achieved?

1. A missed approach is an IFR procedure, regardless of visual conditions or not.

2. With that said, comply with the missed approach procedure on the chart or with ATC instructions. "Lear 85 Yankee is missed...", ATC will advise, "fly published missed" or "fly heading XXX" etc

3. I realize that we all may see a truck pull onto the runway while in VMC and tell tower that we are "going around". Technically, the FAA answer is we are going missed. (This does not HAVE to occur at mins....---> Pretend you are in the soup but simply behind the plane and need to get everything stablized, you will terminate the approach and advise ATC). ATC will tell you some instructions, then in 99% of the cases, contact Departure. If you are in the VFR pattern, and go-around, you will probably be kept on tower freq.

5-5-5. Missed Approach
a. Pilot.
1. Executes a missed approach when one of the following conditions exist:
(a) Arrival at the Missed Approach Point (MAP) or the Decision Height (DH) and visual reference to the runway environment is insufficient to complete the landing.
(b) Determines that a safe approach or landing is not possible(see subparagraph
5-4-21h).

(c) Instructed to do so by ATC.
2. Advises ATC that a missed approach will be made. Include the reason for the missed approach unless the missed approach is initiated by ATC.
3. Complies with the missed approach instructions for the IAP being executed from the MAP, unless other missed approach instructions are specified by ATC.
4. If executing a missed approach prior to reaching the MAP, fly the lateral navigation path of the instrument procedure to the MAP. Climb to the altitude specified in the missed approach procedure, except when a maximum altitude is specified between the final approach fix (FAF) and the MAP. In that case, comply with the maximum altitude restriction. Note, this may require a continued descent on the final approach.
5. Following a missed approach, requests clearance for specific action; i.e., another approach, hold for improved conditions, proceed to an alternate airport, etc.

Just Checked the CYYZ plates. The 11-1, 11-2, 11-6 & 11-7 all call for you to Track the runway heading on the missed approach. This is the only place I have seen it call for the Track Vs. Heading.

Latest resources

Back