• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Miracle on the Hudson: brought to you by Union workers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unions have been battered by the press and their reputations smeared by greedy managers for years, nothing wrong with seeking a little good press for a change . . . although I think the message could be a little more subtle.

Ty

Unions have been battered by the press and their reputations smeared by greedy managers for years, nothing wrong with seeking a little good press for a change . . . although I think the message could be a little more subtle.

Ty

Yeah, ALPA needs some good press. This isn't the way to get it. ALPA had nothing to do with his training, did it? ALPA had nothing to do with his skill, did it? What DID ALPA have to do with this heroic outcome? Not a damn thing.

Rez...now you've gone off the deep end....

1. He is now represented by USAPA...which FIRED ALPA.

2. Are you saying that a non-union pilot isn't capable of doing these things either?

3. Are you implying that ALL union pilots could have pulled this off?

4. How did he survive this ordeal without ALPA?

5. He was almost 60 years old...yet a few years ago ALPA said he was almost too old to fly.....Hmmm....

He did a fantastic job....and your beloved ALPA had NOTHING to do with the fantastic job he did....

I knew it wouldn't be long before you started giving ALPA all the credit....ALPA get's the credit when a pilot pulls of an amazing ditching.....yet heaven forbid you blame ALPA for anything.....They can't be held accountable for the mistakes......

:puke:

The point of the thread is..... as bad as pilot salaries are... if they were non union with lower pay would that have been Sullenberger? Or would he have gotten out of flying and worked his own company?

"Sully" was a trained (ALPA) accident investigator... He knew exactly what was going on. Thus he didn't worry about post accident scrutiny.

The FA's looked like older ladies... would 25 year old FA's had the life experience, maturity, discipline and wisdom???

Same with the police and FF and boat Capts. To have divers in wetsuits dropping from police helicopters in due time is pretty amazing....

Unions advocate safety... and the best pay, even in these worst times, to attract the best talent.... Unions also advocate better working conditions and safety for workers....

I am sure any non union person would try their best, but I'd rather have union supported safety sensitive employees: pilots, FA's police and Fire saving me....

The point of the thread is..... as bad as pilot salaries are... if they were non union with lower pay would that have been Sullenberger? Or would he have gotten out of flying and worked his own company?

"Sully" was a trained (ALPA) accident investigator... He knew exactly what was going on. Thus he didn't worry about post accident scrutiny.

The FA's looked like older ladies... would 25 year old FA's had the life experience, maturity, discipline and wisdom???

Same with the police and FF and boat Capts. To have divers in wetsuits dropping from police helicopters in due time is pretty amazing....

Unions advocate safety... and the best pay, even in these worst times, to attract the best talent.... Unions also advocate better working conditions and safety for workers....

I am sure any non union person would try their best, but I'd rather have union supported safety sensitive employees: pilots, FA's police and Fire saving me....

The two Pinnacle pilots who allowed a perfectly good airplane to fall out of the sky...... were ALPA members.....Maybe ALPA should oppose the MPL.....Experience counts.....not whether or not you turn your brain over to someone else....

Plenty of union pilots have made mistakes.....and plenty of non-union pilots have demonstrated skill under tough conditions.....Put your broad brush away Rez....You are giving ALPA cheerleaders a bad name.....

Last edited:
If he wasn't a union guy but in management he would get a promotion and a pay raise for his hard work but since unions don't recognize hard work but only senority he will be right back to where he was when he comes back.

Typical of an institutional pilot. Went straight from mommy and daddy's house, to the USAF thence to a job at WN.

Blathers on about how great a merit system would be but has never had to carry an airplane.

Without seniority the pilot willing to sit on "pocket gripes" instead of writing up airplanes, fly in weather others would find imprudent and who will wink at the regulations is the pilot promoted in good times and not furloughed in bad.

Of course I came from this type of company and he has only flown airplanes in environments where his hand was held so what do I know..........

PNCL crash
comair crash
AA - little rock
US AIR - LGA (off the end of the runway)
SWA - MDW, LA
Delta - DFW
ETC.

JB - landed just fine with nose gear messed up
VA - none

Your theory is flawed, While I do my part in the union, for the most part the union creates a "it won't happen to me, and if it does the union will save me attitude"

Let unions do what they have to do behind the scenes, but please don't go on the news or talk in the paper, all the good work done behind the scenes is always ruined when a chest thumper like you REZ goes on t.v and wrecks all the unions hard work. And yes REZ I'm a volunteer so don't come back with that one.

Rez,
Honestly, man. I love your enthusiasm. But also being honest, I could not even begin to read your post. The font size was as outsized as your outlandish union associations!

Your heart, I believe IS in the "right" place! Your mind, and I want to not offend more than necessary, could use a bit more time in the oven.

Joe Merchant, please join me in using this happy outcome to come together and not fall into the familiar rutts of Pro/Anti Union animosity. I will and have done so.

In honor of the upcoming minority-negro president's coronation, I quote another well spoken fellow.

"mcCain't we all jes' get along?" - Rodney King

Latest resources

Back