• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Miracle on the Hudson: brought to you by Union workers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No. As SWAPA has demonstrated, it's not the Union alone which makes the difference.

Yet all I read is you complaining about ALPA. So what is it with you?

No. I expect ALPA to represent the will of the pilots. Certainly we are going into an unprecedented economic downturn and that needs to be taken into cnsideration. However, when Bonuses and Payraises are still being distributed, I expect my Union to come back with my piece of the pie.

Whos will? Your will? Hardly.. you are not even an ALPA pilot yet you feel you have the knowledge to speak against the orgainzation.

Of all the concessionary agreements during the BK era, ALPA has done exactly what the membership has asked.

The MEC's at each carrier asked the pilots how they wanted to deal with the BK era. The negotiating committee followed the guidance and then but the TA out to vote... the membership then voted and the TA was ratified....

What is your problem?

Yes, me the Individual Employee. SWA's number one priority is their employees. Number Two is the Customer. Happy employees make productive employees.

Sounds like you have a problem with companies. Why hate ALPA?

Let's not take it out of context, to be sure. I'm not an advocate for the slacker pilot. If the company takes care of me, I'll take care of the company...and vice versa, I'll take care of the company to make sure it's there to take care of me. But to answer your question: Yes, I still do believe it is the collective reult of individual self interest which raise the bar. Tempered with a little moderation, of course.

Again.. nothing about unions... so your real problem is with poor companies and not ALPA....

Hate is too strong a word. If ALPA can't represent my interests...so be it. I don't have any disillusions about ALPA's capabilities.

But it seems you have disillsions abot your owm capabilities... I mean, what do you do to better your pilot group at RAH? I mean you are a teamster pilot...

Priorities change and evolve. Yes, in the beginning, Safety was paramount. Today, that's fairly well nipped in the bud and I would even say is a self-perpetuating Industry. Take ALPA away and improvements will continue to be made in the Safety Arena. Money always has been a priority. Always will be. I can appreciate the econmic downturn, but as I said before, when bonuses are being doled out on mahogany row...is it wrong to want to share in the profits?

You are wrong about safety. Post facts to prove your belief is real....

So, if money is priority it seems you have a problem with the profit generator.... ie companies...

I addressed this above, the part about moderation and not being a slacker.

Yet you do nothing....but complain on FI about ALPA, or which you are not a member...

No discussion or interest? I don't see many people visiting the Union section, there's your lack of interest. Lack of discussion? Easy...it's a widely accepted truth. Again...addressing the whole money issue...refer to the "moderation" part.

Many union issues are discussed on the major and regional boards... the JBPA for example... get real...

Better? That's a subjective term. Your argument implies that UPS and FedEx are essentially business model twins, right down to the last detail. In actuality, every minute difference between the two companies played a role in the outcome of their respective contracts. One pivital difference between the two are the Management teams. What you're essentially implying is that ALPA would have been able to negotiate a better contract at UPS. That's like me saying SWAPA would negotiate a better contract at UAL. It doesn't hold water.

Look at the hourly rates between the two contracts and then look at the profit margins during the time the contracts were awarded... nice try with the SWAPA/UAL....

Of all the concessionary agreements during the BK era, ALPA has done exactly what the membership has asked.

Not so. Yawn. Typical ALPA double speak. ALPA denies the members the right to vote on something that they will likely oppose the ALPA leadership on, yet when ALPA unilaterally takes action they spout about how "you are the union".

Who is left slurping ALPA except the FPL addicts?

Thanks Rez, I was afraid you would disappoint me by actually having ALPA take some responsibility for their problems. You did not.....

You do a fine job of representing ALPA and their core beliefs. When they do start hiring at the National level, you will be perfect for the job. Start picking out the colors and decor for your DC office...you will have a lot of money to spend.

Enjoy the fog....

Thanks Rez, I was afraid you would disappoint me by actually having ALPA take some responsibility for their problems. You did not.....

ALPA has lots of problems... why not particapte with solutions instead of chiding from the bleechers?

You do a fine job of representing ALPA and their core beliefs. When they do start hiring at the National level, you will be perfect for the job. Start picking out the colors and decor for your DC office...you will have a lot of money to spend.

Enjoy the fog....

The expenses provided by ALPA that are listed as income do aren't enouigh for me to move to DC....

You can have it!

By the way...

The Miracle on the Hudson was brought to you in part by.....

The United States Air Force.

By the way

The Miracle on the Hudson was also brought to you in part by...

water.

ALPA has lots of problems... why not particapte with solutions instead of chiding from the bleechers?

No. ALPA really doesn't have lots of problems. It has one. When push comes to shove, ALPA exists to be served by the pilots rather than the other way around.

If ALPA had not repeatedly and vigorously obstructed my right to vote I would have no objections to them.

Oh, wait.. how stupid of me. That is just my perspective. From ALPA's perspective they have thousands of problems... they lost thousands of dues payers. Yeah, ALPA has thousands of problems. :D

There are Sully's and there are Rez's.....We need more Sully's....

Latest resources

Back