minor traffic ticket - fight or not?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FlyingPieceOfSt said:
If you have a radar detector remove it immediatley and rub away the suction cup circles if they are visible...Very easy to do in the time you know your busted to when the officer is behind you.

Some people have been shot by police because the object in their hand looked like a gun. If your radar detector isn't pink, I'd leave it right where it is.

Besides, they can test the lick on your windshield for DNA and then they'll know it was lick.

some facts regarding traffic violations

A)There is a correlation between traffic accidents /injuries and deaths in areas that have high traffic law enforcemnent
B) most municipalities actually lose more money than they get by prosecuting the offender .The state usually makes out by tacking a "surcharge" onto the violation
C) the feds give police agencies Grants to enforce DWI,Speeding and seat belt use.
D) if people were more honest when getting stopped by a Police officer they would drive away with a warning .
E) I get the general impression that a large #of pilots dislike Law enforcement in general . I cannot figure out why though.
F) best way to get out of a ticket if you get one is to take it with a smile and defer it as long as possible. The reason being if you do not stand out as a jerk / or arguementative the officer will probably not make good notes in his memo book and be less prepared in court. As far as deferring it the officer may retire by the time it goes to court , forget the details of that day and the points will remain on your license shorter as far as DMV goes and the insurance surcharge where I come from is for 39 months .
G) Where I come from prosecutors plea bargain most violations down usually to a no point /surcharge infraction if you have a clean license .
Remember a police officer does not get any extra money for writing tickets. Its part of his job. regards vavso.

FlyingPieceOfSt said:
Is there anybody out there who has gotten out of speeding tickets, etc more than 50-75% of the time?

I have found out that admitting to the officer that I knew I was exceeding the speed limit by driving just a little bit faster than most traffic has gotten me out of the past 4 stops I have had over the years. I was given a warning each time.

Also, once you know you have been busted slow down immediatley and get in the right lane so the officer doesnt have to take a long time to pursue you. If you have a radar detector remove it immediatley and rub away the suction cup circles if they are visible...Very easy to do in the time you know your busted to when the officer is behind you. Have both windows down (so when the officer approaches he will be able to see and communicate with you without telling you to roll down your window-no reason for him/her to get irritated from the start) with the engine off and have your 3 big certificates ready in hand. Keeping your hand(s) on the steering wheel doesnt hurt either when he approaches. If it is night-time, have your interior lights on.

Although this seems remedial it has worked for me 100% of the time.

Many moons ago I used to fly air-ambulance. Having the uniform hanging in the back sure helped back then admitting to an officer that I was humping it a little bit to maybe help save a life...Officer: Well son, you could be in need of the services of your own air ambulance outfit if you have an accident at such a high speed...yada yada yada...Heres your warning and be careful out there.

Just some tips from a chronic lead foot who likes to stay below 250 knots below 10K but likes to occasionally open it up on the tarmac.

PS. try to get your butt as far off the roadway as possible so you and the officer don't end up on a www.break.com or www.ebaumsworld.com type of website.

anything to lower the officers BP will help...also:

- try to pull into a grocery store parking lot or off onto a residential street to prevent Officer Jones from being struck by a semi passing in the left lane

- roll down your window all the way, rest your arm along the window and the other hand ontop of that arm, seems funky but Officer Jones will like it

- Dont BS officer jones, straight up tell him why he stopped you (he will ask). Also tell him that you recognize he is doing his job and apologize for the violation

"Yes sir, I was driving 45 and I think this is a 35, sorry about that, I accept full responsibility for that. And by stopping me, you are doing your job, and I acknowledge that"

Attempt a semi-plausible reason for the violation, but don't push it into obvious BS-land. "Trying to get to work, I am on probation" or "My mind was on some family matters, not the posted speed limit, I am really sorry" etc.

- When asked for your insurance,etc, dont quickly reach into the center console unless you want a round into your skull. Tell him where it is and say "ok to get it out?" this will keep Officer Jones happy

- Current insurance, plates, clean car, no other traffic history, "help" Officer Jones decide to issue warning. Expired plates, filthy car, cracked windshield, empty beer cars in back seat, guarantee a ticket even if a warning would be the typical ending.

- A radar detector guarantees a ticket, period, end of story.

The above apply when the traffic stop is made. Counter-stop tactics are DRIVING THE SPEED LIMIT, avoiding known high speed trap areas, adjusting travel to known patrol times or conditions (45 in a 35 tickets are not issued in rainstorms or on Saturday summer nights when police are busy), etc. Try to learn what tactics the police are using, are they parking in the center median? Off to the right side of the road under a shade tree? Etc. Maybe adjust your position in traffic behind that SUV or to the trailing 5-oclock of that tractor trailer if on the highway, to avoid median radar.

Also adjusting route, 45 on a city street with traffic and 15 stoplights may take longer than 30 thru some neighorhood streets and some speed bumps. You may actually arrive SOONER by taking a perceived-to-be longer route. Most traffic enforcement is done where alot of traffic exists (surprise) not on Whispering Meadows Lane. School-Zones you should crawl thru, period. If the local PD uses Motor Units (motorcycles) to work Traffic Enforcement, 95% of the time they are working daytimes only and 99.9% of the time in good weather only, due to safety and also the fact that Motor Officers tend to work when they want, and like most people, weekends off and Day Shift is the ideal thing. Don't expect a Motor Unit to clock you at 11 PM on Sunday night. Also, motor units "target" (unfortunately) middle to upperclass people, as these types pay tickets (versus don't pay and now warrants are issued and they must be arrested, costing resources) and also very few will have outstanding warrants, which require a Motor Unit to call for transport, which is a real pain in the a**. The personality types that go to Motors are NOT the SWAT guys, snipers, Narcotics squad types, etc. Motors do NOT (usually...) respond to trailer trash distrubances, bar fights, barking dog, etc calls. They mostly can pick and choose what they do.

You will rarely if ever see Motor Units in Cracktown USA with a radar gun. Ain't gonna happen.

Be EXTREMELY WARY of speeding if you are the solo operator on the road. Law enforcement prefers to radar those versus travelling groups due to radar limitations.

Last edited:
FN FAL said:
Some people have been shot by police because the object in their hand looked like a gun. If your radar detector isn't pink, I'd leave it right where it is.

Besides, they can test the lick on your windshield for DNA and then they'll know it was lick.

Too funny...If you are that slow in removing 2 suction cups while the officer isnt even behind you yet, than you shouldnt be operating machinery with wings.

Hehe...

I got two speeding tickets in the same spot in one week FROM THE SAME COP... on a commute that I had been doing for two and a half years and never once got pulled over. You shoulda seen the guy's expression. You should've seen mine when I forgot to prepay, went to court, and was fined more than the pre-pay fines. The first citation was for failure to obey posted sign. The second was an all out speeding citation. Unfortunately, judge tripled the first fine and doubled the second, and insurance treats all moving violations the same.

P.S. It seems to me that airport authority cops have bigger hard ons than regular cops.

FlyingPieceOfSt said:
Too funny...If you are that slow in removing 2 suction cups while the officer isnt even behind you yet, than you shouldnt be operating machinery with wings.
Actually, if you're getting pulled over and you got a radar detector, the joke's on you.

Latest resources

Back