• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

minor traffic ticket - fight or not?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There was a guy a American Eagle, who had a DUI, but checked the no box on his application regarding his driving history... passes everything>starts flying etc...1 year later fired for not telling the truth....

The legislators or city counsel members make the laws, not the police. Most laws usually come about because of citizen outcry about safety issue. The police are only the enforcers. Yes, some take it to extreme measures but the law is the law. Discretion on enforcement has always been taught to police by their training officers, but one can not be taught to enforce this law or ignore that one for obvious reasons.

The comment about "don't they have better things to do like chase criminals and eat donuts". You see alot more customers who are not police in donut shops, do you stereotype them as well? You try spending 8 hours driving around in your car in a small area and tell me you don't want to get out of the car for a bit. Technically if your violating the law and get caught, then you were the criminal. A lot of departments have officers assigned to strickly traffic enforcement so that is their duty/job. Regular patrol officers work traffic in between taking calls for service. Think about your job, do you have the right to pick and chose which task you wish to perform?

I'm not saying there aren't overzealous officers, because I have seen my share. But, you have them in just about every job in america. Police are just more visible. I'm sure you have figured by now that I am a police officer. I do it for the passion of the job and the good that can be accomplished, not for the paycheck. I also love flying and know there are a lot of "rules" and laws to go by.

Now for the original question of post. As others have mentioned, if your eligible for defensive driving-take it, if your state has "deferred adjudication" ask about it. Also, plea "not guilty" and show up on court date, if officer isn't there-case dismissed. If he/she shows, then ask for the above options. My dept issues punishment of pay if we don't show up for court. If you really think your innocent of the charge, then do your research and present your case in court. Yes, it can be done without a lawyer. Those that pay lawyers to fight their tickets, well.. all the lawyer is doing is asking for the above options or a reduced fine because judges don't have room on their dockets for trials and want to resolve the case.

Last edited:
trol1374, I think we all realize police have a tough job to do, but we're just venting.

I get a traffic ticket or written warning every 3-7 years, whether I like it or not and almost all of those incidents have been a pleasant learning experience because of the officer's professionalism and candor.

FN, thanks... We don't hear those nice comments very often. It just gets frustrating when we get slammed during every waking moment and don't get the chance to tell people we put our pants on the same way as everyone else.

trol1374 said:
FN, thanks... We don't hear those nice comments very often. It just gets frustrating when we get slammed during every waking moment and don't get the chance to tell people we put our pants on the same way as everyone else.
Believe me, I know you guys/gals put your pants on the same way, that's why I'm a different customer when I get pulled over.

I gave one of our city cops a little guff the last time I got pulled over, but I did it in a polite way. I still managed a written warning for the 77 dollar ticket and he wrote me for the 10 dollar, no points, not wearing a seat belt thing. Which I thought was an absolute bargain!

I think he gave me credit for holding my ground on the tougher ticket and when he asked if had the belt on when he pulled me over, I told him the truth and he thanked me for not insulting his intellegence by using his discretion to issue the written warning on the more serious ticket.

The "guff" I gave him, was when he tried to trick me into speaking into his wireless FM mike when he asked the question, "Do you know why I pulled you over?"

Knowing he had dash cam, I just said, "I have a pretty good idea."

He asked, "Do you want to tell me what that is?"

I said, "No, you go first!"

He raised an eyebrow at that and asked about my belt and I told him I wasn't wearing it.

Written warning for running a yellow light, 10 dollar muni ticket for no seatbelt. I can dig it! :D

BTW, I always wear my belt, but I grabbed the wife's car to go get a pizza three blocks up the road and her car is a Toyota ECHO, a clown car. For some reason I just didn't buckle up that night...at least it gave the cop something to do besides writing me for running the yellow light!

FN, haha, I like those responses. AND you were honest, usually gets you the warning. I learned something new, didn't know states had a law against "disregarding a yellow".

trol1374 said:
FN, haha, I like those responses. AND you were honest, usually gets you the warning. I learned something new, didn't know states had a law against "disregarding a yellow".
You're not the first cop to say that. In my CJ online class, there was a cincinnati cop that didn't know that either.

midlifeflyer said:
Even if intentionally "cute" I think this type of malaprop (an underage male or a big fat underage mail as opposed to a minor criminal offense) really takes away from the credibility of the post, especially if someone thinks you're not just fooling around.

Blame microsft for spell check, should be "misdemeanor" and I have updated it.

Just got in from traffic court... 80 in a 55, it should have been a $178 fine and 3 points on my record. Along with the ticket, the deputy gave me a slip with the fines listed and "speeding less than 25" was checked. The DA was going to rewrite the ticket to 79 instead of 80 until I pointed out the discrepancy. The DA said "ooh, this kinda puts me in a tight spot since these numbers don't jive, go get in line to talk to the judge."

The DA came over when it was my turn and I said "I'll pay the court fees if the prosecutor will dismiss the charge." and the judge saw my university ring on and said "you're a college graduate, you can afford that and driving school too." Driving school isn't an option if it was 25 or more over the limit. I am one lucky duck!

Getting Out Of Traffic Violation Tips:The Simple Version

Is there anybody out there who has gotten out of speeding tickets, etc more than 50-75% of the time?

I have found out that admitting to the officer that I knew I was exceeding the speed limit by driving just a little bit faster than most traffic has gotten me out of the past 4 stops I have had over the years. I was given a warning each time.

Also, once you know you have been busted slow down immediatley and get in the right lane so the officer doesnt have to take a long time to pursue you. If you have a radar detector remove it immediatley and rub away the suction cup circles if they are visible...Very easy to do in the time you know your busted to when the officer is behind you. Have both windows down (so when the officer approaches he will be able to see and communicate with you without telling you to roll down your window-no reason for him/her to get irritated from the start) with the engine off and have your 3 big certificates ready in hand. Keeping your hand(s) on the steering wheel doesnt hurt either when he approaches. If it is night-time, have your interior lights on.

Although this seems remedial it has worked for me 100% of the time.

Many moons ago I used to fly air-ambulance. Having the uniform hanging in the back sure helped back then admitting to an officer that I was humping it a little bit to maybe help save a life...Officer: Well son, you could be in need of the services of your own air ambulance outfit if you have an accident at such a high speed...yada yada yada...Heres your warning and be careful out there.

Just some tips from a chronic lead foot who likes to stay below 250 knots below 10K but likes to occasionally open it up on the tarmac.

PS. try to get your butt as far off the roadway as possible so you and the officer don't end up on a www.break.com or www.ebaumsworld.com type of website.

Latest resources

Back