minor traffic ticket - fight or not?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
duke600 said:
I've never heard about traffic tickets being reported to the FAA. DUI yes, but something like an illegal U turn? Do you know this for a fact? What if you get your medical in a different state than your drivers license. I don't remember anything on the medical application regarding a drivers license number or anything like that.

Happy new year!

if the FAA doesn't ask for it, then end of discussion. At interview time/application time/etc if "have you had any traffic violations" comes up then confess all and let the chips fall where they fall

NW_Pilot said:
[FONT=&quot]And I thought my ticket for no headlight on a bicycle was bad! These dumb ass tickets do make for good conversation some times. When I got my ticket the look on my face my boy said was confusing! After getting issued the ticket I told the officer, I guess they need to do a better job at letting people who buy a bicycle know that they need lighting and if it’s law why not make the mfg properly equip it like they do motorcycles. He unsnapped his firearm told me to start pushing or he was going to have the bike towed. What tops it all off he followed my son & I home. That was a long 5 mile walk home with a 9 year old and a good time to discuss real life BS. Don't cops have criminals to catch or donuts to eat Instead of harassing honest citizens?
[/FONT]

No they don't. Police, uniformed anyway have one main function. Drive their mobile tax unit around and write tickets. There is a need for police, but not as many as we have in this city. More cops, more tickets. They have to grow there industry. Someone mentioned reading the drivers handbook, that would only cover .01% of the motor vehicle laws. There is a reason there is no FAR AIM for motorists, then people would be educated, and tickets would go down, then less revenue for the state/city.

FN FAL said:
Actually, they don't. For as much as the media would have you believe that the world is going to hell in a hand basket, violent crime has dramatically dropped to record levels over the last 12-13 years.

Juvenile arrests are at a 30 year low.

So, in order to keep the machine going, they "net widen" by over-criminalizing everything.

This isn't just me making things up, do a google search on "over-criminalization".

In a lot of states, if two 15 year-olds have sex, they both can be arrested for molesting each other. Can you imagine that? You and your 15 year-old girlfriend get charged with molesting each other and then are marked for life as registered sex offenders. Hahahaha...I'm not joking here. Everyone thinks the registered sex offenders are all MAN-BOY Catholic priest situations. They are not.

We just had a case where there was a domestic call by police to a married couple's dwelling. It was typical domestic, but when they figured out that the wife was under the age of consent when she was made pregnant, they arrested the 21 year-old dad/husband for child molestation because his wife was underage when she conceived. I think society needs more dads in jail and paying fines, so that the welfare of the child is most improved.

I'm waiting for the day that firing a gun is made illegal. It's coming. They'll never be able to outlaw gun ownership, but they'll be able to regulate discharging it.

Simply make discharging a firearm against the law except for self defense and the hunting season and you'll have entirely new crop of people to process through the criminal justice system.

CAN I GET AN AMEN BROTHER.

But you know what FN-FAL, if you tell this to 90% of the sheep out there, they think you are a kook.

Mark

Always fight a ticket. You may not win but more often than not you will get a favorable result by fighting it.

There are books in the library that tell you successful strategies for fighting tickets; primarily speeding tickets.

I haven't had many tickets but have had one dismissed when the issuing officer failed to show up; another was dismissed when the City Attorney and I discovered the issuing officer failed to completely fill out his report.

Justice isn't always served. In one cowtown I got both the issuing officer and his supervisor to admit they didn't really know much about their radar equipment, they weren't properly trained in its use, it hadn't been checked or calibrated IAW the law and, in my case, they probably gave me a ticket based on an erroneous reading. After all that, the judge found me guilty anyway.

The cops and I chatted amiably afterward. They were just as amazed as I was that I wasn't acquitted. Had to chalk it up to experience and small town municipal economics. I learned a lot preparing and presenting my case.

Prevailed on the one ticket I tried. Took photos and crossed the officer. The cross was effective. Some effective argument, as well. As for the suggestion to call the city attorney or prosecutor, they don't show up for minor tickets where I reside nor are the trials even assigned to them. It is just the officer, and if he/she doesn't show, the matter is usually dismissed. And the plea to try a matter is "not guilty". Good luck.

FL420 said:
Always fight a ticket. You may not win but more often than not you will get a favorable result by fighting it.

There are books in the library that tell you successful strategies for fighting tickets; primarily speeding tickets.

I haven't had many tickets but have had one dismissed when the issuing officer failed to show up; another was dismissed when the City Attorney and I discovered the issuing officer failed to completely fill out his report.

Justice isn't always served. In one cowtown I got both the issuing officer and his supervisor to admit they didn't really know much about their radar equipment, they weren't properly trained in its use, it hadn't been checked or calibrated IAW the law and, in my case, they probably gave me a ticket based on an erroneous reading. After all that, the judge found me guilty anyway.

The cops and I chatted amiably afterward. They were just as amazed as I was that I wasn't acquitted. Had to chalk it up to experience and small town municipal economics. I learned a lot preparing and presenting my case.
That's why I wont move back to my home state of Virginia. I don't have any terrible memories of it being a police state when I used to live there, but the more I live in Wisconsin, the more I realize how good it is here.

We have a few counties where the sheriffs think they are all three branches of government, but that is exception, not the rule.

Thanks to laws like this, me, my wife and my buddy Colin have the 200.00 12 pack of beer story to tell. KY won't let you buy beer on a Sunday, so we flew a twin down to where Volunteer aviation was, grabbed their courtesy car and headed into town to buy a 12 pack. I think we settled on Rolling Rock, but my taste has improved since then...

S.C. Bars Toast the End of the Minibottle
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- The year 2005 wasn't the only thing being toasted away in South Carolina: Partygoers and bar owners finally said good riddance to the minibottle.

For 22 years, South Carolina law required bartenders to use the tiny 1.7-ounce bottles most often associated with airplanes and hotel minibars.

Then, last year, South Carolinians voted the minibottles out, and lawmakers followed through earlier this year by approving regulations to give bars and restaurants the choice to pour from the big bottles starting Jan. 1.

With the law change, the state's method for taxing liquor sales changed, too. South Carolina collected 25 cents for every minibottle sold; now, it will charge 5 percent on every drink.

"I thought it was going to be us - South Carolina - and the airplanes forever," said Matthew Andrade, celebrating with a Red Bull and vodka poured from a liter bottle at Rookie's Sports Bar & Grill in Columbia. The staff was free pouring while guests were still kissing, hugging and toasting over champagne early Sunday.

While the new liquor law took effect just after midnight, a calendar quirk wouldn't let many bars in the state take advantage. Sunday alcohol sales are banned in most of South Carolina outside of the Columbia area and the coast, meaning last call at most bars had to come before 2005's end.

duke600 said:
I've never heard about traffic tickets being reported to the FAA. DUI yes, but something like an illegal U turn? Do you know this for a fact? What if you get your medical in a different state than your drivers license. I don't remember anything on the medical application regarding a drivers license number or anything like that.
It's the second half of question 18(v) on the medical application:

v. History of (1) any conviction(s) involving driving while intoxicated by, while impaired by, or while under the influence of alcohol or a drug; or (2) history of any conviction(s) or administrative action(s) involving an offense(s) which resulted in the denial, suspension, cancellation, or revocation of driving privileges or which resulted in attendance at an educational or a rehabilitation program.

The state the offenses happened in doesn't matter. The fact that there was some offense or administrative action that resulted in a loss of license or and eductaional or rehab program does.

FL420 said:

Some citations are priced so it’s cheaper to pay rather than get an attorney to fight it most of the time. If you don't have the time to fight it yourself. On the $100.00 criminal citation yes I said “criminal citation” it goes on your criminal history report as a mister minor or gross mister minor. Examples are; Disorderly Conduct “swearing in public or in the presents of an officer”, Public Intoxication “walking home from a bar”, Spiting On Side Walk, Etc.

It can cost $1,000 or more for an attorney to successfully fight it. Most people just pay it because they cannot afford to fight it. Oh! Also if you get a public pretender and you lose you have to pay a min $500.00 charge + court costs. To bad one cannot go after the city, state or county for their attorney fees if you win.

NW_Pilot said:
it goes on your criminal history report as a mister minor or gross mister minor.
Even if intentionally "cute" I think this type of malaprop (an underage male or a big fat underage mail as opposed to a minor criminal offense) really takes away from the credibility of the post, especially if someone thinks you're not just fooling around.

Latest resources

Back