• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mine was a yes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is an important decision for everybody and the reasons for voting for ALPA are as varied as our pilot group. The main thing to keep in mind is that we all must make a decison in the next few hours. There is no sitting "on the fence" in this election. You either vote for representation, or you don't vote (which is a vote against it). The clock is ticking and at 1400 EST we will see how we as a pilot group move forward.

Union dues are tax dedeductable.... in addition, your 1.95% puts you into a professional organization...​
ALPA is a democracy...would you get rid of the US Constitution? No need to get rid of democracy.. just particapte!​
  • Conflict of interest between Mainline versus Regional Carriers
Any current conflict now, the SKWY pilots have no say... by joining ALPA, the SKYW pilots can work with UAL and DAL pilots...​
  • I dislike the “rah, rah”, “management is evil”, “workers unite” extreme* mentality
Perhaps... it is really a repsonse to hard core extreme reality of the anti labor movement...​
  • To a degree, stifles my employer’s ability to react to a rapidly changing marketplace
Not really.... look at Southwest... they are very unionized... It all depends on your managements leadership style..recall they are the ones in control...​
  • Potentially adds a layer of bureaucracy between me and my management team
Not sure if it adds a layer... is there a layer now?​
  • Though rare, the Union does protect the jobs of people who deserve to be fired.
Who desrves to be fired is subjective. ALPA provides dues process and ensures fairness.

In addition many pilots think ALPA keeps the lowest common denominator around.. well consider it a buffer cause most guys aren't the best or the worst.. but if the company can keep firing the worst.. then eventually they will get to you...

I applaud your yes vote and only replied to those last min fence sitters...

It is an important decision for everybody and the reasons for voting for ALPA are as varied as our pilot group. The main thing to keep in mind is that we all must make a decison in the next few hours. There is no sitting "on the fence" in this election. You either vote for representation, or you don't vote (which is a vote against it). The clock is ticking and at 1400 EST we will see how we as a pilot group move forward.

Keep in mind this more than just you the individual..

This is about being a part of a profession.... contributing to something that is greater than just one person...

The more you give the more you get...

yes. you have to have been done ioe by some time in September, I think. If you got a ballot you are entitled to vote.

I applaud your yes vote and only replied to those last min fence sitters...

Thanks Rez. I hope it does go through. I hope any undecided people make the decision to vote yes, but I also fully respect those who made an informed choice and voted no by making a conscious decision to not call.

Not saying you don't, but for me this is about voting smart. For me, I believe the smart choice (by a nose-hair) is to vote in ALPA. That doesn't change the fact that the things I listed are negatives (at least as perceived by me, the “no” votes and a LOT of fence sitters). That hasn't changed for me. I just don't want to refute each one point by point right now. Someone asked me why I came off the fence on the side of ALPA and I told them as honestly as possible. I think it is vital to present the pros and cons of all the issues. I was asked several times to be on the OC, but declined because it ruins my perceived objectivity on the matter. I have had a discussion with every pilot I’ve flown with, spent time at Lofty’s and at the hangar talking to the new guys. My target audience has been those people who are interested in discussing both sides of the issue, not just one.

There are downsides to having ALPA, it's just that I believe the pros outweigh the cons.

For me it was a yes.

36 minutes and counting. Hope we got it Rez.

-JP

Latest resources

Back