Mine was a yes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well said, JP.

I decided a while ago how I would vote, but fairly recently I got a phone call than convinced me I was right to vote yes.

The FAA called my cell phone (SGU gave them the # without notifying me first) to discuss an aborted takeoff. I just woke up and it caught me off guard, so I spilled my guts. After my explanation I got a "Huh. Well, thanks for your time." I immediately wished I could have said "Let me talk to my union rep first, and I'll get right back to you." I could have talked to the SAPA folks, but then I thought about how one of the SAPA executive board members hung Don Douglas out to dry in court. In the end I did everything right, so I still have my certificates, but it was a rude awakening.

Well said, JP.
....The FAA called my cell phone (SGU gave them the # without notifying me first) to discuss an aborted takeoff. I just woke up and it caught me off guard, so I spilled my guts. After my explanation I got a "Huh. Well, thanks for your time." I immediately wished I could have said "Let me talk to my union rep first, and I'll get right back to you."

What you SHOULD have said (as I taught in Basic Indoc) was "I report to the company. The company will tell you what you need to know." When there was a SKYW nosegear up in Dallas, a management type told the crew to go ahead and depart the area. The FAA was livid when they got there without a crew to talk to. They got over it.

Joe

awesome post. I agree with what you said more than some here would believe.

What you SHOULD have said (as I taught in Basic Indoc) was "I report to the company. The company will tell you what you need to know." When there was a SKYW nosegear up in Dallas, a management type told the crew to go ahead and depart the area. The FAA was livid when they got there without a crew to talk to. They got over it.

To support your point, your issue is with the company more so than the FAA. Skywest should be disclosing it and providing the necessary information and it shouldn't really involve you directly unless there was a FAR violation or other regulatory/safety issue.

In the case of Dallas, I'm sure the FAA was upset with the company for not having the crew available for answers rather than with the crew for not being in the area.

Andy, the FAA got my number from SkyWest. If what you are saying is SkyWest policy, they shouldn't have given the FAA my #.

However, my point was that I wished there was somebody I could call whose #1 prioriy was to protect me.

Andy,

As a former SkyWest pilot, I also had them give my cellphone number out to the FAA as well. If the company would really have the pilot group believe that they are out to protect them, maybe they better stop this disturbing habit.

Andy,

As a former SkyWest pilot, I also had them give my cellphone number out to the FAA as well. If the company would really have the pilot group believe that they are out to protect them, maybe they better stop this disturbing habit.

I agree with both you and Jayme that SkyWest should not be giving your number to the FAA. Have you asked you Chief Pilot if they would like you reporting directly to the FAA now instead of to the company? Just because the company made a bad decision doesn't mean you should.

I agree with both you and Jayme that SkyWest should not be giving your number to the FAA. Have you asked you Chief Pilot if they would like you reporting directly to the FAA now instead of to the company? Just because the company made a bad decision doesn't mean you should.

Andy, what exactly do you mean by "just because the company made a bad decision doesn't mean you should"?
You can't possibly be referring to a vote for ALPA can you??? I think his example is just one of many that people are trying to make to show that perhaps there really is a need for ALPA here on the property, and that voting for it would not only not be a "bad decision", but a prudent one!!

Kind of like your bad decision huh?

Andy,

As a former SkyWest pilot, I also had them give my cellphone number out to the FAA as well. If the company would really have the pilot group believe that they are out to protect them, maybe they better stop this disturbing habit.[/quote

Was it our FAA ASAP rep? I'm guessing it was as I had my first involvement in a May incident with Virgin Atlantic and LAX controllers and this is who contacted me. It was nervewracking for a few weeks but I was actually relieved when I finally got to talk to the guy.

My cell phone number is on my bag tag and a "For Sale By Owner" sign in my front yard...I keep hoping Jennifer Aniston will see it and call...but alas...just crew support and my teenager.

W

Latest resources

Back