• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Miltary types...need some advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"What are my chances, what is my best way to go here? I am familiar with the process of it all, just not the feasability of it."

All they can say is 'no', in which case you're a 24 year old airline captain. Darn.

Your situation seems taylor made for the Guard. I suspect it wouldn't hurt to start discussing it with Guard pilots you run across in your cockpit. Have your paperwork ready to apply the day you earn your degree.

ASH, Where there is a will, there is a way.... Push ahead, talk to every unit you can as well as a Reserve/Guard Recruiter for each service. They will know the in's and out's of what you can get in with and what you can't. I switched to the AFR from the Navy. First, I had to get on with a unit, then worked with a recruiter will get all the paperwork together. Took me 9 months, and I had a good experience due to a good recruiter. Talk to him first if you had any service specific questions. The pilots you speak with units themselves know the planes, missions, people, but I found they did not have all their facts straight on some details, especially some of the details you have brought up.

Best of luck to ya, man.

You might be suprised how many of your jumpseater's are Guard/Reserve. You're doing them a favor by taking them to work/home.-I'm sure they'd be happy to give you some advice, a POC at their unit, business card, etc. Start asking around or look at their type ratings and if you recognize something military start asking some questions.

Good Luck!

MP

The Army been beddy beddy good to me.....but. If you are going to make Capt soon you will be logging that very valuable Turbine PIC time...If you can get that flying Air Guard or AF reserve...go for it. Otherwise you may find yourself sitting in Iraq or Afghanistan logging Helo time and missing future opportunities to get on with JB, SWA etc....I missed aproximately 1500 hours of jet time during my last deployment and then got furloughed shortly after my return.

I like the military and we would be glad to have you in my unit, but it should be in line with your goals...Hell, a 24-25 year old Captain, Wanna Trade?! LOL!

Latest resources

Back