Miltary types...need some advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ASH

All right guys(gals), here is my situation, and my desires, give me your thoughts and advice.

I am a currently in the process of upgrading to captain at a 121 carrier (jet). I am 24 years old. I have a desire to still fly for the military, but have some things standing in my way, but remain open to any options.

Obstacles: Prior enlisted AF, got busted down a rank for a situation. No article 15 or anything, but none-the-less a bust. As a result I had to request an early out as I could not support my family on my reduced pay, so I got out early. Honorable discharge yeah!

Had a thyroid medical condition. It is totally cleared up, and I am certifiably healed.

Vision: I get away with a first class medical no waiver, but I'm squinting guys.

Degree: I am just about finished with my four year, but it has been all over the place, I CLEP'ed, I DANTE'd, etc, got college credit for " life experience" B.S, you know the drill. Not a good formal 4 year degree, don't have a clue what my GPA is.

My desire is to fly for any service, I would really prefer fighters, as I know my future will be full of regular airline flying, of which I am pretty accustomed to.
I would like a variety. I know these are highly coveted spots, and positions people have slaved to get. I do not take it at all lightly.

I am willing to go active, reserve, or GUARD, did I mention GUARD!

What are my chances, what is my best way to go here? I am familiar with the process of it all, just not the feasability of it.

If I am able to start within 2 years (even on active) I would still have a solid 20 years to give to a regular airline when I got out.

It is something in my blood that will not leave, and I can't keep putting it off. I may not get it, but I will never know unless I give it my all.

I am hoping that my current achievments will overshadow any indiscretions I may have had in the past, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Any thoughts, flames, critisizms, advice, encouragement is well appreciated, as far as which service, active or not, my past, etc, etc.

Much thanks.

Why go AD unless that is your sole dream. You have a stable job. Try for the G or Res. You know the answer if you do not put a package in. Believe me more people than you think had issues or bad conduct or arrests, etc....Be honest and tell what you learned about it. You need the degree to be competative. Your flight time will help when it comes to getting an interview. I sure helped me. It also makes a hell of a difference during training itself. Those who say it does not, had none. It makes every bit of difference. Is the thyroid issue documented anywhere. If not....well you get my drift. There is a saying to other issues may apply when it comes to medical issues....Dont ask, dont tell.....or mabye it is dont tell unless it is in a militarry record. I did not get my guard slot until I was 26 so you have plenty of time. Any more questions PM me or just ask here. Good luck.

Yours would be just another "success" story. Many have come before you with less than a perfect resume. When I was a T-37 IP I heard many a story. I agree with Reddog, go for it. When they tell you no, ask the next unit.
I don't think your enlisted record will ever appear in your officer personnel folder. I could be wrong. All it is now is service time and more $$. It's an honorable discharge, that's all that matters.
Your eyes will be found out during your flight phys but it sounds like no big deal.
Now, when you go for your security clearances, that's a entirely different story. Depends on how much of a clearance you need. If you don't want your story told in too much detail then stay away from fighters and bombers.

Get in your car, and start driving around the country, visiting all reserve/guard units you're interested in. Show them what you've got.

Army

Do not forget about the Amry Guard, they will not care about your degree at all, unless you go a for a commission. With your fixed wing background you might find a fixed wing slot after flying helo a couple years.

Last edited:
Is it the military flying you desire or the military life and camraderie?

If it's the former, do what the previous posters recommend. If it's the latter, consider the Guard or Reserve and doing something that interests you besides flying.

I did so. I was medically disqualified after starting UPT in 1983. I retired after 20 years spending 11+ years as a signal officer. After being discharged form the ANG, I went to the ARNG to get my 20.

Doing so gave me some marketable skills in the non-aviation job market, should I need that some day. I also found a non-flying military job meshed well with an airline schedule.

Great posts everyone,

also forgot a real humdinger...I had to file a CH 7. Bankruptcy due to my student loans.

Is that a show stopper?:(

shoot, the Army is offering student loan repayment up to $65,000 now. You coulda got in WOFT and flew helos as recommended above. Im hoping to do this as soon as I can.

A BK is not a show stopper for the Army. I don't have a BK but a guy I was going to flight school with had one. I can't remember if he had a Ch 7, 11, or 13. I don't know the difference between them, on top of the BK the guy also had to get an age waiver. He had no problems getting his clearance. This guy was FAR from a boy scout, and no prior flight time like you have. When you fill out the SF 86 just be honest.

Got a pulse? 2 arms? 1 leg? 1/2 a brain? The Active duty Army and any CH-47 National Guard unit will take you. If you can get all the paperwork completed you will be an Army pilot.

Being an Army pilot is one of the best things I ever did.

Latest resources

Back