• Watchers 35

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Genius,

Night cat shots loaded with 4000 of HE, an assortment of aa "stuff", the deck is pitching, your target is 450 nm through a lot of bad dude land, there are at least two tanker tracks between you and the inevidible night trap (on that same pitching / heaving deck); you've been in the fleet 6 months, you have 400 hours total time (less than 100 hours PIC), yet you can change the world with the press of the pickle. Responsibility?

When we are flying air to air training missions, logging 1.0s is not uncommon (yet we may have traveled a couple hundred miles, burned through 10,000#s of JP, and are sweating like a stuck pig bleeds from the Gs). Your 1.0 day may take better than 8 hours to complete, and then you have your ground job to do (because there is just no one else to do it).

Dude, start making fun of military dudes about their low time, ... , well, I'll just say it would not look good on you.

Also, when SWAFO comes on, your fooked.

Hats off to the guys who had to go the way of low pay, long hours, and many days away from the family.

Thanks Q, mine are to the men and women standing watch right now. I'm 50' from my sleeping kids (paradise).
Fighters are usually good for between 0.8 - 2.0 (max) without tankers (very dependant on mission / altitiude / what you are hanging on the wings / .... Tankers are SWEET! They can extend you for as long as you need (or as long as the drugs will keep you awake). I've known guys to fly from the US to Kuwait in one flight. But that was many years ago and stupid from a risk management perspective. My longest was 10 hours in a dry suit! Thought I was going to die. (South Carolina to Spain). Tanking tomorrow night to be exact, training that is.

CaptMark, one word replies crack me up!

Sorry about the soapbox and no, no Burbon in me.
cruncher

don't wet yourself over a T-38, thats not a intial trainer. you went to riddle didn't you?

I had to go all this way for a arguemnt, and then suddenly nothing happed.Mil is no better than civ. just as civ is no beter than mil. neither applies to whar we all do now.

vote democrat if you value unions at all

Too much of a big deal is made over this PIC crap. You do the same exact thing in the right seat in regards to operating the aircraft. The only thing extra the CA does is sign the paperwork and act like a tyrant, with some pleasurable exceptions!

What is this, freaking open mike night?

You want us to take you seriously yet you are too obtuse or lazy to do a search on these forums with the difficult words "military vs civilian".

If you are serious then you would do the search and ask a non-inflammatory question. Since you are not serious.....

the sandbox is out back, kids.

Let this thread die, please.

CKJET said:
Can you say dumbass? Airforce guys are learning to fly in a freaking T-38 and we learned in a C-150!! Get with the program.

It is about the quality of your time not always quanity.

I learned to fly in a C-172. Next.

pipejockeyToo much of a big deal is made over this PIC crap. You do the same exact thing in the right seat in regards to operating the aircraft. The only thing extra the CA does is sign the paperwork and act like a tyrant, with some pleasurable exceptions!

I would guess by this comment that you have very little PIC time, you obviously don't understand the responsiblitity of being the Captain or the "A" code.

Last edited:
Dumbluck: You should simply revert to the first syllable of your handle. Much more appropo.
If, as you're grammar/spelling indicate, you're only 14 yrs. old then just change your c/s to "Ignorant".

I hate it when this thread pops up! My college roomate went the civilian route and I went the military route and we got hired at the majors within 6 months of each other. (10 years after graduating college) Our experiences couldnt have been more different.

He hauled checks, flew power lines, CFI'd, and went to the commuters and busted his butt for years. Some of the stuff he did to keep living the dream I would have never put up with. In the end he had a boat-load of time. A lot. And he really new the airline business.

After finishing T-38s I went to the C-5. At 25 years old I was left seat in the C-5 flying 1/2 way around the world, in-charge of a crew of 15, air refueling, and flying tactical approaches into Somalia. You just cant get that type of experience anywhere. Two tours later flying PIC in other jets and I got on with a great company.

Point is...in my best year I got 500 hrs, but I averaged about 300 hours a year in the USAF (and thats in the heavy world). Its about the quality of time not the quantity.

We all paid our dues in one way or another. Its all good.

Latest resources

Back