Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

check six

For all military trained pilots who are now airline pilots:

Would you advise your son/daughter to pursue a military flying career and then later pursue the airline job or stay civilian and go directly for airline flying?

What will be the need in 10 years for human piloted aircraft in USN/USAF for fighter or tanker community in light of the uav and space communities taking on a bigger role?

I have a son who has caught the flying bug and is interested in military aviation. Trying to figure out how to advise him.

Thanks,

Check Six

I'll offer a brief comment ref military considerations. Insure he understands, Check, that his military service will continue for as long as he's obligated, whether he flies or not. That's not necessarily a disadvantage; should he lose his medical, the military will continue to offer him a challenging career, albeit in a specialty other than flying. With the advent of UAVs, that would seem to me to be an ideal job for an experienced pilot who's lost his medical. Additionally, remind him that most possibly and most likely, less than half of his 20 years, should he stay that long, will be in the cockpit. Once he makes the field-grades, (Major/LtCol) unless he's fortunate enough to command, he will pull his share of staff/joint tours where he'll be flying his cubicle from a Pentagon or other HQ perch. As long as he's fine with that, mixing flying with staff jobs and being willing to deploy overseas half a dozen times, maybe less, he'll get the best taxpayer funded training, meet the greatest people, have the most challenging assignments, and operate some of the best equipment available. Plus our country needs our best and brightest to step forth and volunteer. Best wishes to him...

Do not forget about the Guard and Reserve route. For those like myself that knew from day 1 I wanted to do the airline deal it works great. I found out about the Guard well after I started flying civilian. Most guys I knew during pilot training, the airline gig is very foreign...they know a bunch of people go do it but not really what the industry is about. I had the benefit of both parents working in the industry before and I knew the ups and downs getting into it. You will never know if you made the right move until it is over and look back.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time on active duty and still think it's the best route to develop a well rounded aviator. If he desires to fly fighters - tell him to always shoot for it and never settle for anything else. There isn't a more rewarding type of flying than (IMHO of course) flying supersonic and pulling some G's - and getting paid for it. And of course you can always fly fatties in the airlines but you never can fly fighters anywhere else. This coming from a guy that does both.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time on active duty and still think it's the best route to develop a well rounded aviator. If he desires to fly fighters - tell him to always shoot for it and never settle for anything else. There isn't a more rewarding type of flying than (IMHO of course) flying supersonic and pulling some G's - and getting paid for it. And of course you can always fly fatties in the airlines but you never can fly fighters anywhere else. This coming from a guy that does both.

Do you really want to get into what is the most rewarding flying.....this can open a whole can of worms....Scrapdog were you full AD or a Guard/Reserve baby just on AD for training?

From my point of view as a Guard baby, you could not pay me to be on active duty full time....too much stupid b.s. now if I was out of a job...different story.

Do you really want to get into what is the most rewarding flying.....this can open a whole can of worms....Scrapdog were you full AD or a Guard/Reserve baby just on AD for training?

From my point of view as a Guard baby, you could not pay me to be on active duty full time....too much stupid b.s. now if I was out of a job...different story.

Full AD.

Here is my two cents on your questions. You can PM me if you want more details.

For all military trained pilots who are now airline pilots:

Would you advise your son/daughter to pursue a military flying career and then later pursue the airline job or stay civilian and go directly for airline flying?

I would advise the military route for anyone. As an officer you get leadership experience it would take years to get on the civilian side. As far as flying goes, I would totally recommend it. If they can land a guard or reserve gig that would be best. My advice is to get a degree or interest they can use outside of flying. The civilian flying world is very volatile and having a fall-back plan is essential.

What will be the need in 10 years for human piloted aircraft in USN/USAF for fighter or tanker community in light of the uav and space communities taking on a bigger role?

You can Google the answer to this. I am sure you will find many opinions. But, in my opinion as technology develops, opportunities in fighters/bombers will decrease dramatically.

I have a son who has caught the flying bug and is interested in military aviation. Trying to figure out how to advise him.

Thanks,

Check Six

What will be the need in 10 years for human piloted aircraft

In ten years the world may not even be around (Armageddon), so live day by day. In ten years the military maybe back at prior levels of strength.

I have do do the civilain route do to a surgery, the climb from the bottom of the regionals is shear misery. Your son, nor anybody, should never have to endure this crap.

My son is in the same boat....has the flying bug and asks me monthly what I think he should do....it's a tough call....
I went the USAFA route and will complete my 20 next May (2010). I can honestly say I have enjoyed most ALL aspects of my military career. Despite previous posts opinion, I have been able to fly 18 of my 20 years in the Air Force (and still made Lt Col to boot). My recommendation to your son would be to follow his heart. If he wants to fly and to serve his country, go USAFA or USNA (or ROTC), kick butt at flight school, and enjoy some of the most rewarding flying his is likely to ever do.

BeeVee

I would not go in the military for any other reason than wanting to serve. This is a mindset issue. The fact that you may come out of the military with a good set of credentials for airline work is a side benefit but should not be the focus of time in the services.

Latest resources

Back