• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Military Pilots Advice for their sons/daughter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In the strongest terms, I would discourage any military pilot from pursuing a job in the airline industry after the military. The job (it's no longer a "profession") has deteriorated gravely. The airline managements are not going to be happy until you are flying 777s for commuter compensation. Your labor agreements are worthless when the National Mediation Board and Arbitrators are so blatantly biased again labor.

As yesman alluded to, there is a lot of work to be had, especially in a single seat squadron, with not a lot of bodies to go around. I can't count the number of months I've flown 10-15 hours, yet worked 12+ hour days for the duration of the month. Deployments, all bets are off (however you're there TO fly). You have to be there for bigger reasons than be a stick monkey.

In the strongest terms, I would discourage any military pilot from pursuing a job in the airline industry after the military. The job (it's no longer a "profession") has deteriorated gravely. The airline managements are not going to be happy until you are flying 777s for commuter compensation. Your labor agreements are worthless when the National Mediation Board and Arbitrators are so blatantly biased again labor.

Military guys/gals are not leaving for the airlines. Not only are the airelines not hiring, why leave a good paying job with a guranteed pension?!?! My buds who stayed all made O-5 and are making over $110k. The military wasn't for me, but you just can't beat Uncle Sam's guranteed cheese. I suppose after being reamed up the a$$ so many times, it just becomes numb.
As for me, I'll take my chances on the outside. Better to live as a starving free man than to be someone's fat beaaaaaahtch!

Military guys/gals are not leaving for the airlines. Not only are the airelines not hiring, why leave a good paying job with a guranteed pension?!?! My buds who stayed all made O-5 and are making over $110k. The military wasn't for me, but you just can't beat Uncle Sam's guranteed cheese. I suppose after being reamed up the a$$ so many times, it just becomes numb.
As for me, I'll take my chances on the outside. Better to live as a starving free man than to be someone's fat beaaaaaahtch!

Yeah, I'd much rather be on my ass looking for work, then collecting a pension in my early 40's for the remainder of my life.

Jetlaggy,
Yep - Active Duty the whole time...hard to believe it's been almost 23 years since we first walked up the "Bring Me Men" ramp on that hot, July 1st, summer day back in '86.....
How about you?
BeeVee

Here's my advise which is mostly based on decisions I've made and what I've seen that worked out well...

Go to college and get a education in something outside of flying. Stay away from Embry Riddle, and other pilot mills that are full of empty promises and debt. Get a private pilot license on the side at a local flight school. If there's nothing that he's just that interested in and just wants to "check the box" on getting a degree, I would lean towards a 4 year college with an evening degree program. It's much cheaper and will allow him to work and pay for his school and flight training. If you have the money get your CFI and MEI.

During his Junior year in college start applying for pilot slots at Guard and Reserve unit that are located in places he might want to live. Don't get hung up on flying a particular aircraft. You do not have to wait until you have your degree in hand to get selected. If I had it to do over I would apply to C-17 reserve units. The reserves offer advantages over the guard when it comes to making money and getting a quick upgrade to AC to get that all important 1000hrs PIC turbine which is usually needed to get on at a major airline. I'm currently at a C-130 Guard unit, and I can tell first hand that it can be a struggle at times to make a consistant living even with war going on. Other than deploying to Afghanistan for 45 days to live in Hooverville and the occasional Germany deployment, good luck making a living flying around the same flag pole. The reserves are able to keep their pilots on continuous orders and my peers from pilot training are much more experienced and better compensated than I.

One more point, the reason I suggested getting the CFI and MEI is because there is approx a 2 year wait from the time you get selected and when you start pilot training. Use this time to be proactive a get a regional airline job right before you attend pilot training. Once you get on the senority list at an airline your job and flight benefits are protected under federal law. You can use flight benefits to jump seat home during breaks and your senority and pay will continue to rise even though you are on military leave for approx 3 years. By the time you come back to work you will probably be able to hold Captain and make a respectable living between your military job and your civilian job.

no college

Here's my advise which is mostly based on decisions I've made and what I've seen that worked out well...

Go to college and get a education in something outside of flying. Stay away from Embry Riddle, and other pilot mills that are full of empty promises and debt. Get a private pilot license on the side at a local flight school. If there's nothing that he's just that interested in and just wants to "check the box" on getting a degree, I would lean towards a 4 year college with an evening degree program. It's much cheaper and will allow him to work and pay for his school and flight training. If you have the money get your CFI and MEI.

During his Junior year in college start applying for pilot slots at Guard and Reserve unit that are located in places he might want to live. Don't get hung up on flying a particular aircraft. You do not have to wait until you have your degree in hand to get selected. If I had it to do over I would apply to C-17 reserve units. The reserves offer advantages over the guard when it comes to making money and getting a quick upgrade to AC to get that all important 1000hrs PIC turbine which is usually needed to get on at a major airline. I'm currently at a C-130 Guard unit, and I can tell first hand that it can be a struggle at times to make a consistant living even with war going on. Other than deploying to Afghanistan for 45 days to live in Hooverville and the occasional Germany deployment, good luck making a living flying around the same flag pole. The reserves are able to keep their pilots on continuous orders and my peers from pilot training are much more experienced and better compensated than I.

One more point, the reason I suggested getting the CFI and MEI is because there is approx a 2 year wait from the time you get selected and when you start pilot training. Use this time to be proactive a get a regional airline job right before you attend pilot training. Once you get on the senority list at an airline your job and flight benefits are protected under federal law. You can use flight benefits to jump seat home during breaks and your senority and pay will continue to rise even though you are on military leave for approx 3 years. By the time you come back to work you will probably be able to hold Captain and make a respectable living between your military job and your civilian job.
What do I see here, a recommendation not to go to full time college, go to evening college? Are you saying a college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane? I know you need it to get into the USAF and Navy,

Military (either AD or Reserve/Guard) = right on. Great experiences, great people, meaningful work (when flying), a (relatively) honest employer, a stable paycheck. And if active duty for 20, some pretty good coin. Yes, you need a BS filter for AD, but one of the highest paid flying jobs out there these days. Moving around the country/world at the whim of Uncle Sam can get old though.

Airlines = crap. Why anyone would start a career going the civ route these days is beyond me. $hitty work for $hitty pay, moving away from where you want to live (or commute, pick the lesser of two evils). Paying your dues is supposed to pay off in theory, but not these days. Despite the above, it may not be a complete waste of time if only there were some sort of career mobility. Sadly, there isn't. Hopefully things will improve someday (and I honestly believe they will). I guess Rez is right - if you're in it for the money or quality of life, you'll likely be disappointed. Yes of course there are worse jobs out there - lots of them in fact. But is that what we really shoot for when selecting a career, to have "not the crappiest job"?

What would I do if I were young again? Go Reserve/Guard and learn a trade. Every town needs electricians, carpenters, mechanics, firefighters, etc. All of the above earn as much or more than most US MAJOR airline FO's, with less training and experience required. They also allow you to live where you desire, or to move if you want, and offer career mobilty, i.e. a lateral move. Experience means something. A firefighter in my town earns $600 per day starting salary, right out of high school and the fire academy. More than 20 years after I started flying, I still don't earn that.

Last edited:
Military (either AD or Reserve/Guard) = right on. Great experiences, great people, meaningful work (when flying), a (relatively) honest employer, a stable paycheck. And if active duty for 20, some pretty good coin. Yes, you need a BS filter for AD, but one of the highest paid flying jobs out there these days. Moving around the country/world at the whim of Uncle Sam can get old though.

Airlines = crap. Why anyone would start a career going the civ route these days is beyond me. $hitty work for $hitty pay, moving away from where you want to live (or commute, pick the lesser of two evils). Paying your dues is supposed to pay off in theory, but not these days. Despite the above, it may not be a complete waste of time if only there were some sort of career mobility. Sadly, there isn't. Hopefully things will improve someday (and I honestly believe they will). I guess Rez is right - if you're in it for the money or quality of life, you'll likely be disappointed. Yes of course there are worse jobs out there - lots of them in fact. But is that what we really shoot for when selecting a career, to have "not the crappiest job"?

What would I do if I were young again? Go Reserve/Guard and learn a trade. Every town needs electricians, carpenters, mechanics, firefighters, etc. All of the above earn as much or more than most US MAJOR airline FO's, with less training and experience required. They also allow you to live where you desire, or to move if you want, and offer career mobilty, i.e. a lateral move. Experience means something. A firefighter in my town earns $600 per day starting salary, right out of high school and the fire academy. More than 20 years after I started flying, I still don't earn that.

Could not have said it better!

Do I hear it again, someone saying you can be successful in life without a college degree?

Latest resources

Back