Military fighter to Regional

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for all replies.

Harrier is a single. I am currently a flight instructor at NAS Kingsville teaching students to get their wings. Was a Cherry Point guy. Someone asked why aren't I trying for SWA. I definately am trying for them but they are currently not accepting apps. I will be getting out in July of 04 and am considering a regional to keep food on the table. Also looking into getting into a good Navy Reserve flight instructor squadron here in Kingsville but if that doesn't work out(limited slots available and where do you think all the other guys getting out from down here are going?...reserve) I would definately look at guard unit availability.
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm not a promoter of Air Inc but..... and you don't need to join, Kitt doesn't need anymore $$$.

for the guard a good ref is Air Inc's "flying in the guard and reserve" for 40 bucks give or take a few. You can order it at www.jet-jobs.com

It has info on all Guard, reserve, Navy, AF, Marine, Army units like adresses, aircraft, mission, and contacts.

Also a little web searching will get you sites that have all the guard units listed by state or aircraft and their associated sites .

Or you could just go to a regional and bide your time until SWA opens up their application process. Comair isnt too bad a place to be at right now and you might be able to upgrade there in the meantime once you get the TT requirements. Think about it Devil Dog.

Rook

600' AGL Autopilot on.
'WHEW!'

Quals

bozt45 said:
I notice that most regionals require a few hundred hours, on average, of multi engine time. I am a military pilot with mostly single engine fighter jet time. Will be leaving with about 2000TT, 1500 Turbine, 1200 Turbine PIC and just enough multi engint to get me the rating. Also an ATP and a B737 type-rating. Will these get me a regional job?
Thanks.
G-d, yes, if you can find a regional that's hiring. Military pilots always go to the head of the line. You might be overqualified for the regionals; they might think that once you get your foot in the door you'll bolt once Herb or jetBlue comes calling.

In that regard, why not update with Southwest? The 737 type, which you have, is a virtual necessity for a SW interview. In my $0.02, you're good to go for Southwest.

I loathe Kit Darby as much as anyone, but, to be fair about it, his initial audience before he concocted the pilot shortage was separating military pilots needing help to enter civil aviation. Kit, as FAPA, did help many of them. Maybe the book mentioned above might be valuable to you. Just don't buy into Kit's pilot shortage malarkey. ;)

Good luck with your plans.

Last edited:
I did the same thing you are considering now. Only I did two fleet tours instead of the training command. I thought I would just tread water at ACA and build up my total time since, like yourself, I had a ton of Jet PIC time. I am doing the Guard as well to supplement what they call Regional FO pay. This was a great plan until ACA furloughed. I thought about interviewing with PSA or Comair, but why put up with more of the same. Anyways, you are competitive at the regional level. The training programs are not nearly as stressful as the military, they know you can make it through. You meet almost all of the advertised mins. However, the people who are hiring right now, Air Tran, Net Jets etc, are mostly requiring 2500 TT. The bar is being raised over the usual 1500TT. I joined AIRInc and found it to be worth every dollar. The CIVDIV operates differently than we do. Highly recommend the guard/res. Lots of good contacts for flying jobs there as well. PM me if you need more info.

I know for a fact that SKYW has interviewed guys with your qualifications & background. I myself, interviewed with two F16 pilots when I got hired several years ago, and I know SKYW hasn't changed the minimums. Also flown, with new hires with 2000 hours or less.

BozT45:

One of the biggest mistakes I made when I got of the out of the Navy was not getting a guard job. The opportunities are so much better from the Air Force side. It takes a little time, but you can convert you gold wings into lead wings. Find a guard unit near where you'd like to live and rush them like you would the top fraternity. I suggest the guard job so you will always have a back up when/if times are tough. It'll also give you some breathing room for finding a job.

Your flight time looks great for most regionals. The published flight times are always open to exceptions. I've been involved in the hiring process at a regional and I can tell you that I was looking for some sort of quality assurance on the resume that you can succeed in training, show up for work on time and operate within the limits of the aircraft and our company's procedures. Assuming you haven't lost your wings or been FNAB'd, I'd say you meet that criteria.

Good luck and enjoy that last month of flying in the training command. You will miss it!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back