• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Midwest/TPG/NWA deal is up in the air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This deal will get approved and life will go on. Just your typical government red tape/dragging their feet scenario. Just about every Midwest pilot feels that they will be working for Northwest in about 5 years though. Would be alot better than being a AirTran pilot in 5 years in my opinion.

....Remember the JD is already looking at this as if it is a merger and if you look at NWAs latest inflight magazine it already has all of our MCI and MKE routes on thier route map.....

Try not to get too "black helicopter"-ish yet. The routes are on there because of the new code share we have with them.

For example AA has all of the cities in Europe, Africa, and Asia in their route map but they are cities where the one world partners fly to and as such are labeled that way. Are the routes in NWA inflight magazine labeled differently (colors, cities are dots not squares, etc.)?

Citation... I hate to tell you this but what MEH is doing isn't going to help their profits. If the buyout goes through, you guys should be ok. But if it doesn't, you are in big trouble unless AAI steps in. Those RJ's that Tim is expanding with are going to drain MEH with oil at $100 a barrel. Expanding with RJ's is no way to make money. Just ask AAI, they couldn't make it work at oil prices that were over halt as much as they are now. MEH isn't expanding on the main line side, and thats where it needs to be done. The only way MEH will make it on its own is with a new A/C order, get rid of the pay for departure from Skywest (I believe its pay for departure), oil to drop below about $70 a barrel, and have AAI back off the MKE routes they are going to start going head to head on. I don't care if you like it or not, MEH is a sinking ship at $100 a barrel without help from someone. Just adding seats to the 717's aint going to cut it. Everything Tim told the employees and investors was so completely b.s. its not even funny. He hasn't even come close to the profits he was promising when he was trying to keep MEH from a takeover. I hope for your sake the deal goes through, that way your guys won't get furloughed like has been rumored..

Citation... I hate to tell you this but what MEH is doing isn't going to help their profits. If the buyout goes through, you guys should be ok. But if it doesn't, you are in big trouble unless AAI steps in. Those RJ's that Tim is expanding with are going to drain MEH with oil at $100 a barrel. Expanding with RJ's is no way to make money. Just ask AAI, they couldn't make it work at oil prices that were over halt as much as they are now. MEH isn't expanding on the main line side, and thats where it needs to be done. The only way MEH will make it on its own is with a new A/C order, get rid of the pay for departure from Skywest (I believe its pay for departure), oil to drop below about $70 a barrel, and have AAI back off the MKE routes they are going to start going head to head on. I don't care if you like it or not, MEH is a sinking ship at $100 a barrel without help from someone. Just adding seats to the 717's aint going to cut it. Everything Tim told the employees and investors was so completely b.s. its not even funny. He hasn't even come close to the profits he was promising when he was trying to keep MEH from a takeover. I hope for your sake the deal goes through, that way your guys won't get furloughed like has been rumored..

I, as almost every pilot here, agree with you and do not like seeing the CRJ's (let alone another company other than our wholly owned as Skyway represents the largest group from which our pilot group came from) in MKE and MCI. We were 90% hedged in fuel for 2007 and I think we are fully hedged again in 2008 so we are somewhat limiting our fuel exposure. What worries me more is the nonstop fare sales we seem to have via our website.....No wonder our yields have gone down.....$100 oil affects ALL (air tran included), not just us.

Fwiw, scope was my #1 issue for our online contract survey.

Last edited:
Anybody think the MEH/TPG/NWA deal is a fishing expedition for a NWA/DAL merger? Kinda testing the DOJ waters?

CL, the share holders (incl TH) voted for TPG because they got $.50/share more and all cash. The funds that hold the stock don't care about the employees or the airline -- they get their pay out.

Just my humble opinion.

Latest resources

Back