• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Midwest pilots think all 717s will go by next year

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe keeping the 717s away from AirTran is the priority issue? Delta needs a 100 seater anyway and there are plenty of 717 mechanics in ATL...

Right sizing planes to routes? Maybe 100 seats is perfect for the Shuttle?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Interesting thought. A historical search of the shuttle load factors would clear that right up.

General, what's the minimum number of airframes required to support a program at Delta?

If I remember correctly... the fleet min is around 6 or 8 airframes.

Remember DL only had 8 777's running around (between mco and atl mostly....ugh) for a number of years.

All right General...you could snag some 717's, put in a single-class setup and run those on the shuttle and put the rest, in a two-class setup, and dump the DC-9's.

How many 717s available?

How many 717s could Delta potentially buy including the Midwest aircraft and the aircraft stored in the desert? Are we talking 30+ total aircraft available? I remember reading about a bunch of ex Australian 717s now stored in the desert.

Why couldn't Air Tran just buy the aircraft in the desert if it wanted to grow too? Is it purely financial (can't afford to add airplanes)?

All right General...you could snag some 717's, put in a single-class setup and run those on the shuttle and put the rest, in a two-class setup, and dump the DC-9's.

Well, I still don't know if this rumor is true or not. No confirmation. But, it is interesting, and plausible. I think the DL Shuttle has around 16 airplanes on it, and less fly on the weekends. I have read that Midwest is getting rid of 16 717s soon, and MAY get rid of the rest (they have or had 25 total) next year. If we do get some of their planes though, and we have to hire as a result, we should hire some of their pilots too I think.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Why couldn't Air Tran just buy the aircraft in the desert if it wanted to grow too? Is it purely financial (can't afford to add airplanes)?
Fornaro has made it very clear that returning to profitability and fixing the balance sheet are higher priorities than growth right now. While the company and the analysts are predicting profitability for 2009, it will take a while to get the $600-800 million cash on hand for Fornaro to feel comfortable enough to crank up the growth plan again. Latest ASM projection from management for 2009 is down 3-7% from 2008 levels.

Now if the right deal was available to acquire some 717s and we could sell some more 737s, we would probably do that to increase our cash on hand by monetizing the value of our 737s. The company is happy with the performance with either airplane according to the last earnings conference call. Obviously the 737 has more alot more demand in the worldwide aircraft market.

Fornaro has made it very clear that returning to profitability and fixing the balance sheet are higher priorities than growth right now. While the company and the analysts are predicting profitability for 2009, it will take a while to get the $600-800 million cash on hand for Fornaro to feel comfortable enough to crank up the growth plan again. Latest ASM projection from management for 2009 is down 3-7% from 2008 levels.

Now if the right deal was available to acquire some 717s and we could sell some more 737s, we would probably do that to increase our cash on hand by monetizing the value of our 737s. The company is happy with the performance with either airplane according to the last earnings conference call. Obviously the 737 has more alot more demand in the worldwide aircraft market.

My Delta neighbor here in Boca told me that Delta may have purchased 4 Air Tran 737-700s. Have you heard anything like that?

This would be sad if true. Used midwest for the first time a couple of weeks ago, first class airline all the way. Crew was great, flight was great and treated real well. Good luck guys and as soon as NetJets starts hiring again, I hope to see you all over here!

I believe that the Midex 717's are still configured for only 88 seats. If thats the case then the transition to the E170 would make financial 'cents' for the mismanaged airline.

MidEx has their 717's configured at 99 seats, not 88. By late November, only 9 airframes will be operating. The rest of their will be contracted out...:(

Latest resources

Back