• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Heavy Set

Friday, October 24, 2008

Pilot: Midwest’s remaining 717s could be grounded

The Business Journal of Milwaukee - by Rich Rovito

Midwest Airlines plans to eventually ground the nine remaining Boeing 717s in its fleet in 2009, according to a Midwest pilot.
Greg Uselmann, who has worked as a pilot for 25 years, including the past 10 at Midwest Airlines, said he believes it is Midwest’s intent to take the remaining 717s in its fleet out of service in 2009, a move he claimed could lead to even more layoffs at the airline.
Uselmann, who is set to be laid off from Midwest by mid-November, claimed that Midwest entered into short-term leases for the remaining 717s, which he said shows Midwest’s intent to remove the aircraft from the fleet in quick order.
Midwest Air Group Inc., Oak Creek, which operates Midwest Airlines, recently entered into an agreement with Indianapolis-based Republic Airways Holdings Inc. that eventually will result in Midwest replacing all but nine of the 25 Boeing 717s it had in its fleet with smaller Embraer E170 regional jets that it is leasing from Republic.

Did the Midwest guys really think Northwest/Delta would throw anymore money at Midwest to keep them around in any major form? Northwest threw in over $200 million earlier this year to keep Airtran from getting a foothold in MKE and building a 200 departure a day hub in MKE. Northwest and the declining economy have prevented Airtran from doing just that, so the need for Midwest is decreasing every day.

I would bet the plan now is to minimize losses in MKE. With the declining economy, I would bet the E-170's lose less money than the 99 seat 717's Midwest was using.

Yep, the 717's will go..all pilots and FA's will be laid off. End of story....

It will remain to be seen if a MidEx pilot ever crews the Republic 170's...or if they ever get transferred to the MEH certificate.

An entire 717 program to run a few shuttle airplanes? Nope, not gonna happen. Delta just announced a fleet simplification program.

I believe that the Midex 717's are still configured for only 88 seats. If thats the case then the transition to the E170 would make financial 'cents' for the mismanaged airline.
I am still surprised by the lack of response by the pilots to this whole thing. I know that they picketed about a month ago but that is all I know of. I have even heard that some pilots, (maybe training pilots) are already in the sim for the 170?

For what it's worth, the top line check pilot for the M88/M90 program just had a 717 check ride. He told everyone this at the last airmen meeting in NYC.

FWIW, nothing is official until announced..... Leave it at that.

On the Midex issue, all of their jets were announced to be reconfigured in the normal configuration with Super Saver in the back and a "First Class" section up from. Plus, even if they were not, it is a two day change, max.

Separate category? Same type, isn't it?

If the MD90 is too small a fleet, how could fewer 717's make good sense?

Separate category? Same type, isn't it?

If the MD90 is too small a fleet, how could fewer 717's make good sense?

Right sizing planes to routes? Maybe 100 seats is perfect for the Shuttle?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back