• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Midwest getting new aircrafts????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know, CL. I'm just saying that most see the end here, and it doesn't make a difference. What good is unity if you have nothing to be unified about?

well we can SPECULATE all we want. we are still in contract negotiations this year and still must proceed with the assumption of the company surviving on an ongoing basis.

Back to the title of this thread, maybe the 14 aircraft (A319/320,B757) that big bad part owner NW are parking will be our MD80 replacement!

Back to the title of this thread, maybe the 14 aircraft (A319/320,B757) that big bad part owner NW are parking will be our MD80 replacement!

From what I heard is that when Airbus was visiting about two weeks ago, Boeing showed up at the same time without prior notice.

heard they are parking all 80s and furloughing another 70-100.
( this comes from a friend who works at MEH and the rumor was mentioned in the crew room)

heard they are parking all 80s and furloughing another 70-100.
( this comes from a friend who works at MEH and the rumor was mentioned in the crew room)

this was mentioned as an option for the fall if oil remains high.

How could that be an option? I know that the barbie jet burns less fuel, but it also has a $hitload less capacity and much higher lease payments/insurance. The 80 is the airlines heavy lift, long haul aircraft. Every single flight I have done this month has been full or oversold. If we park the 80's then Midwest will lose its hold on MKE. I could see them reducing the schedule this fall, but I doubt they will park the entire fleet. Unless oil is $200/barrel, then all bets are off. 8

How could that be an option? I know that the barbie jet burns less fuel, but it also has a $hitload less capacity and much higher lease payments/insurance. The 80 is the airlines heavy lift, long haul aircraft. Every single flight I have done this month has been full or oversold. If we park the 80's then Midwest will lose its hold on MKE. I could see them reducing the schedule this fall, but I doubt they will park the entire fleet. Unless oil is $200/barrel, then all bets are off. 8

Lets hope this does somthing,

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/06/gas_prices261.html

With Congress leading the way, the U.S. government appears ready to place limits on oil speculators who, some contend, have driven the price of oil far beyond what normal supply and demand would support. The [COLOR=red ! important][FONT=&quot][COLOR=red ! important][FONT=&quot]Commodity [/FONT][COLOR=red ! important][FONT=&quot]Futures [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=red ! important][FONT=&quot]Trading[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] Commission said that as a first step, it will require London-based market traders to observe position limits employed by U.S. markets. The U.S. will also gain access to daily trading data from foreign oil markets.
But Congress, which Tuesday held hearings on oil market speculation, appears ready to go farther, limiting market access to entities that actually plan to take delivery of the oil. That would include energy wholesalers, refiners, and even direct users, such as Southwest Airlines, which has cushioned the impact of the oil spike by some savvy purchases in the [COLOR=red ! important][FONT=&quot][COLOR=red ! important][FONT=&quot]futures [/FONT][COLOR=red ! important][FONT=&quot]market[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR].
Legislation to limit speculation has quickly gained momentum in the House and Senate, much to the concern of some big time Wall Street players.
In fact, the Washington Post reports that lobbyists for Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley were among the financial interests beseeching lawmakers last week to forget about limiting speculation.
Quoting sources, the Post describes "sometimes testy" closed-door meetings in which hedge fund executives tried to make the case that their highly lucrative speculating in the oil futures market was actually helping the market operated more efficiently.
According to the report, lawmakers weren't buying it. One key aid reportedly told the executives there is nothing they can do to prevent Congress from passing legislation to curtail oil speculation.
Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-WA) says Congress has known since 2001 that there have been problems in the markets, but lawmakers have encountered strong Wall Street opposition whenever anyone has broached reform.
Unprecedented increases

Oil prices are up at least 40 percent since January, with prices setting almost-daily records. The price of crude has hit $140 a barrel and a growing number of lawmakers have begun to view speculation as the main reason.

because the 80 serves vacation / leisure destinations which are very LOW yield markets. you can have a 140 people going to vegas cheaply or 88 people going to DCA high a much higher yield.

airlines don't make money on domestic transcons in general, it is the more higher yielding routes that they monopolize where they make their cash.

latest rumor i heard was an MEH offer on some AAI 717's.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back