• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Midwest attacks Airtran

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wait, didn't you guys just share your plan with everyone? What about the plan you gave the SEC with regards to what you would do with Midwest airlines and the MKE hub? Remember that? You gave each route, like starting a 73G on MKE to Vancouver. I think you DID share your business strategic plan with your competitiors. Right? Thought SO. If it doesn't go well, you may have NO PLAN for those planes.
Oh come on now... you know the plan for ONE airport does not make a complete and comprehensive strategic plan.

The POINT I was making, which you avoided acknowledging, was the fact that it's bad business to give away your entire business plan, which is exactly what Midwest (and you) were knocking us for.

I still think we're holding a card or two we haven't shown yet. ;)

Ahhh hey anybody seen our strategic plan lately??? Oh yea..um... fly the jets safely..stay on schedule...be as nice as you can to the customer !.....That be about it...Oh ..and have a little fun if you can... best wishes to all !!

so, Lear 70, it is not competition if it is not in the same Aircraft type, ???come on, It does not matter what type of Aircraft it is that is competing against you, seats in the market are seats...
Lear70, I believe you work in the airline industry, you should know that senority is everything. Even if you can make a few $ more at another place, you do not just give up seniority, life style, good contract and stabilty, maybe move to a new domicile, unless your company is going down the drain and they are shutting the doors.But you seem to agree there is more stability at SWA or fedex vs. AAI. 2 years ago nobody would have considered AAI unstable, maybe it is a sign that things are not going to well.

2 years ago nobody would have considered AAI unstable, maybe it is a sign that things are not going to well.

Yep, the sky is falling.(sound of warning horn in background) All pilots at AAI look for another job immediatley.

Last edited:
Most would agree...boxes pay better...However.. I have paid a lot for box lately.......grin..smirk.. Birthday's..Xmas.. Spring Vacation...bla bla bla..

Nobody is running out the door...pleeeeez ...maybe real junior newhires that had iron's in the fire prior to AirTran .. ...who can blame em...good luck.. I just want to make it to 60..

Wait, didn't you guys just share your plan with everyone? What about the plan you gave the SEC with regards to what you would do with Midwest airlines and the MKE hub? Remember that? You gave each route, like starting a 73G on MKE to Vancouver. I think you DID share your business strategic plan with your competitiors. Right? Thought SO. If it doesn't go well, you may have NO PLAN for those planes.

And your point is? As a matter of fact, I can't quite figure out what the he!l this thread has to do with anything. The only thing I know for sure is that alot of people involved in airline management will get paid alot of money.

I know for sure I'm headed to Mexico on Saturday for 5 days and nites in the sun...on Sun Country.. one of the best airlines in the industry !!

Good Luck Timmy and Joe... let us know how it all works out so we know how to bid....

so, Lear 70, it is not competition if it is not in the same Aircraft type, ???come on, It does not matter what type of Aircraft it is that is competing against you, seats in the market are seats...
OK, you're just not getting it, so I guess I'll have to explain more.

Northwest didn't operate that market to make a profit.

Northwest operated that market in an attempt to drive Midwest out of business.

The reason it didn't work is that it was never PLANNED to be a long-term competitive operation. It was believed you guys would cave LONG before they filed Bankruptcy. You didn't. They filed. Then they pulled out.

I mentioned the aircraft type to point out the aircraft/fare combination Northwest was using was a money-loser and they knew it would be that way going in.

WE at AirTran, however, can compete with you directly in the MKE because our CASM is so much lower. Not that I think a war is a good thing (it's not), but you were stating that Midwest somehow "beat" Northwest and AirTran out. You didn't. Northwest beat themselves, and we're INCREASING service.

Lear70, I believe you work in the airline industry, you should know that senority is everything. Even if you can make a few $ more at another place, you do not just give up seniority, life style, good contract and stabilty, maybe move to a new domicile, unless your company is going down the drain and they are shutting the doors.
Ummm... I believe you work in the industry as well, but that statement simply isn't true.

I worked at Pinnacle. I don't think they are going out of business anytime soon (in fact, they just bought another airline and announced a new codeshare with a bunch of new airplanes).

I took a pay CUT and a quality of life loss (short-term) to leave there to come to AirTran for a better long-term investment in my career earnings and eventual better quality of life.

Less than a year later, my quality of life is 10 times better than it was, and the money will come.

Thousands of pilots do that every year jumping from regionals to majors. By your comparison they should stay put?

Incidentally, a pilot leaving AirTran going to work for FedEx would make more than FOUR times the income than they would here over a career plus their pension which is in no danger of going away.

I think you're WAY off-base here.

But you seem to agree there is more stability at SWA or fedex vs. AAI. 2 years ago nobody would have considered AAI unstable, maybe it is a sign that things are not going to well.
Maybe it is a sign that you don't like AirTran. Your opinions are very openly biased.

FedEx is the epitome of stability. People will always need to ship packages, and their profit margins are EXTREMELY good.

SWA is arguably more stable, but with no argument in long-terms earnings potential being better than AAI by almost 3 times potential career earnings for 25+ year careers.

Maybe YOU'D be content to stay put making half what you could somewhere else with the same or better QOL.

I believe you're in the minority.

Nobody is running out the door...pleeeeez ...maybe real junior newhires that had iron's in the fire prior to AirTran .. ...who can blame em...good luck.. I just want to make it to 60..
Actually, almost ALL the guys who have left are senior to me, and I'm just over the 1,000 mark. Moved up just under 40 numbers in 3 months.

If you're not a Captain here and you get a call from FedEx or SWA, unless you just happen to live in ATL, you'd be crazy from a $$$ standpoint to stay.

It's very entertaining to watch Tim Hoeksema do the carpet dance to save his job. Now he knows what his ground crews felt like when he told them to take a 50% pay cut or take a hike. Talk about karma!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back