• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Midwest attacks Airtran

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually, Atlanta isn't maxed out yet. Per Bob Fornaro on the last earning conference call, we were operating 240 departures a day out of Atlanta but had the gate footprint to do up to 300 departures a day since the spent the effort putting extra flights into the use em or lose em D gates that opened up last fall. That means a 25% growth of Atlanta possible during 2007 (I guess that is how we can start Newburgh, Phoenix, San Diego, St. Louis, and Charleston all to ATL).

You forgot Potland,ME too. All of those combined give you an extra 12-15 flights. Still, where will you put all of those shiny new 73Gs? That was my point.

Bye Bye--General Lee

NWA and Citrus tried that before. Did not work, because their product sucks.Airtran employees have even indicated that things are slowing down.Any reason for the attrition at Airtran.....maybe pilots see the writing on the wall.

MKE is one of our best markets. The good people of MKE know AAI doesn't suck or else we wouldn't be taking so much money from you.

What AAI employees have you been talking to. Slowing down is a relative term. We are slowing down from 24% annual growth to 19% annual growth. See what I mean about statistics. You generalize that a 5% slow in annual growth means trouble for the company.

Look back 20 years, I think you'll see another company's growth trend looked a lot like ours. That company is SWA. I'll take that kind of growth over the Midwest stagnation any day.

Last edited:
MKE is one of our best markets. The good people of MKE know AAI doesn't suck or else we wouldn't be taking so much money from you.

What AAI employees have you been talking to. Slowing down is a relative term. We are slowing down from 24% annual growth to 19% annual growth. See what I mean about statistics. You generalize that a 5% slow in annual growth means trouble for the company.

Look back 20 years, I think you'll see another company's growth trend looked a lot like ours. That company is SWA. I'll take that kind of growth over the Midwest stagnation any day.

All good points AFcitrus. Lets hope this thing goes through sooner rather than later.
Midwest has a shabby product at best! The stagnation of this dink airline is coming through, and without Air Tran, they might as well start burning the furniture to keep the place warm!

Sure you have growth......with a 68 percent LF......and your profits aren't earth-shattering.....when the downturn happens, where will you stand then??

Comparing yourselves to SWA, is at best, a long shot. AAI wants to beat skulls with DL, while SWA went around the hub and spoke carrriers to where they are today......profitable using one airplane type.....

Is MKE going to pay AAI some incentive like every other airport seems to do?? Save the growth, I just want my airline to get the same sweet deals!!

"To further compound the problem, AirTran has committed to purchasing an
additional 60 planes with no clearly articulated strategic plan to
deploy and utilize these planes on a profitable basis."

I wonder if TH realized how stupid that sounded after he read it. I mean c'mon..like he's up to speed on AAI's "strategic plan".

Hey, someone better tell SWA and any other airline to clear their strategic plans with TH...'cause ya know, if you don't "clearly articulate" what you're going to do...blah blah blah.

geezzz...give me a break.

I would think TH and his spin-doctors have much bigger fish to fry than spewing out this type of dribble. Other than losers like me hanging out on FI, who really gives a rats a$$ how many freaking MKE civic and business leaders and shareholders you've met with. You either have the support of the shareholder majority or you don't. Simple as that.

And you'll know in a week. Give it a rest.

Sure you have growth......with a 68 percent LF......and your profits aren't earth-shattering.....when the downturn happens, where will you stand then??

A little bit of research beyond the numbers would tell you that the drop in load factor had a lot to do with the fact that we had a "use it or loose it" deal with several gates in Conourse D. In order to do that we sacrificed load factor (in the short term) and profits (also in the short term) for ATL gate space in the long term. Not a bad business decision IMO. As for a "downturn" we did quite well from 2001 to now, I shutter to think any new downturn will be as bad. So don't loose any sleep over that one.

Comparing yourselves to SWA, is at best, a long shot. AAI wants to beat skulls with DL, while SWA went around the hub and spoke carrriers to where they are today......profitable using one airplane type.....

SWA did what it had to do to make their business plan not only survive but to thrive. The environment is much different today...No one could come in with a bunch of 737-200's and make a go of it...right? FL is doing what it needs to do to thrive as well. We're not even 15 years old as a company and we're close to 125 airplanes and an operation in ATL that is just smaller than the size of AA's ORD operation. Not too bad if you ask me. I don't think that we are the size or caliber of SWA as it stands now, but how about where SWA was at the same age?

Well, Airtran is getting a bunch of planes and so far haven't given anyone a clue on what the plan to do with them, or where they plan to put them.
Would YOU share your business strategic plan with your competitors?

Thought not. ;)

NWA and Citrus tried that before. Did not work, because their product sucks.
That's not entirely accurate, either.

NWA tried it with CRJ's just to try to "put the nail in the coffin" for Midwest.

The reason it didn't work is:

A.) They used RJ's which have always been operated as a loss to Northwest, not to mention suck when compared to the Midwest-configured 717's (or just about any other aircraft for that matter).
B.) RJ's are mainly used by Northwest to connect pax to high $$ international flights. In MKE, there's no Int'l service so all the Int'l pax were already going on NWA or heading into Chicago.

Long-term it was never a viable solution.

Airtran employees have even indicated that things are slowing down.
Ummm... SOURCE?

Any reason for the attrition at Airtran.....maybe pilots see the writing on the wall.
The attrition is to jobs that are 2-4 times the earning potential and better stability than here, such as SWA, FedEx, etc.

When people start leaving us to come to Midwest, THEN we'll have a problem.

The article in general was a HUGE propaganda piece filled with half-truths and some barely-veiled outright falsehoods.

A little bit of research beyond the numbers would tell you that the drop in load factor had a lot to do with the fact that we had a "use it or loose it" deal with several gates in Conourse D. In order to do that we sacrificed load factor (in the short term) and profits (also in the short term) for ATL gate space in the long term. Not a bad business decision IMO. As for a "downturn" we did quite well from 2001 to now, I shutter to think any new downturn will be as bad. So don't loose any sleep over that one.

SWA did what it had to do to make their business plan not only survive but to thrive. The environment is much different today...No one could come in with a bunch of 737-200's and make a go of it...right? FL is doing what it needs to do to thrive as well. We're not even 15 years old as a company and we're close to 125 airplanes and an operation in ATL that is just smaller than the size of AA's ORD operation. Not too bad if you ask me. I don't think that we are the size or caliber of SWA as it stands now, but how about where SWA was at the same age?

We were given a # of departures we HAVE to meet on D con each day...it has moved from 40 to 55 and now stands at 65-70 a day....TBI airport management then records these numbers along with the N number, A/C type and if it was a turn or not and turns it in to the airport....it corresponds exactly with what you were talking about...."use it or lose it"

The common use gates including the recent addition of D11A have Air Canada, Northwest, Continental, and now Comair and ASA have been using D1 and D1A on random slots during the day....normally right when we have a 737 on the ground and no gate available....TBI normally alerts us of this AFTER we have gone over our departure plans for the day on D con. I know Bob F. has said up to 300 out of ATL in the near future but speaking as someone who looks at the a/c plot each night...the gaps between dept banks are shrinking...something has to be done about the lack of 737 gates and I think it will....also with the gaps shrinking I think our "banks" of flights will go away and it'll just be constant...all flights, all the time...no breaks

Would YOU share your business strategic plan with your competitors?

Thought not. :)

Wait, didn't you guys just share your plan with everyone? What about the plan you gave the SEC with regards to what you would do with Midwest airlines and the MKE hub? Remember that? You gave each route, like starting a 73G on MKE to Vancouver. I think you DID share your business strategic plan with your competitiors. Right? Thought SO. If it doesn't go well, you may have NO PLAN for those planes.

MONDAY, Feb. 26, 2007, 4:01 p.m.
By Tom Daykin and Avrum D. Lank</B>

AirTran details plans for Midwest to SEC

AirTran Holdings Inc. (AAI) has taken the unusual step of providing details on the number of new flights and jobs it would add in Milwaukee, if it completes a hostile takeover attempt of Midwest Air Group Inc. (MEH)

AirTran, in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, said it would add 74 daily departures from Mitchell International Airport, while also more than doubling seating capacity and adding 29 new destinations. Midwest Air, which operates Midwest Airlines and Midwest Connect, offers around 140 daily departures from Mitchell International to just over 40 cities.

That increased business would create around 1,100 jobs based in Milwaukee, with an initial payroll of $30 million, said Kevin Healy, AirTran vice president of planning. Midwest Air has 1,865 airline jobs at Mitchell and the company's Oak Creek headquarters.

The economic impact plan presented by AirTran Holdings Inc. is "unrealistic and inconsistent with their previous filings," said Carol Skornicka, Midwest senior vice president.

The filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission envisions a combined airline continuing to use the smaller regional jets now flown by Midwest's regional carrier, something AirTran has said in the past was not economically wise, she said.

Scott Dickson, chief marketing officer for Midwest Air, said that the assumptions AirTran makes about building traffic to several new destinations are also unrealistic. He cited proposed service between Milwaukee's Mitchell International Airport and Rochester, N.Y., which AirTran says is part of its plan. "There are about 18 passengers per day traveling in that market," Dickson said. "They are proposing to have 234 seats available ... That doesn't sound very realistic."

But Healy said AirTran has "tremendous faith" in its ability to build a vibrant hub in Milwaukee and stimulate growth in the market. "Their thinking is holding back economic development here," he said of Midwest executives.

AirTran has said it would stimulate traffic by lowering fares and building connecting traffic through Milwaukee.

Healy and other AirTran executives have repeatedly said their Orlando, Fla.-based company would expand operations in Milwaukee if it acquires Midwest Air. Today's filing offers more information, including a list of new destinations and a breakdown on the types of jobs that would be created.

AirTran's SEC filing is designed to refute what Healy called "misinformation" provided by Midwest Air, whose executives have raised doubts about AirTran's plans for Milwaukee.

"We think we'll be better off if people understand what we're trying to accomplish," Healy said.

The filing is targeted to community leaders, some of whom have publicly sided with Midwest Air's plans to remain independent, Healy said.

AirTran also is trying to reach shareholders, who will ultimately decide whether the takeover bid is successful. AirTran's $13.25 a share tender offer to shareholders expires March 8, but that deadline could be extended. Healy said he wasn't sure if AirTran would have a majority of outstanding shares tendered by then.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back