MidAtlantic Captain Positions At 01/99 DOH

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FurloughedAgain said:
I think its time that I stop rushing around.
Congratulations on your decision. Best wishes that your new found stability is the key to happiness and success.

Seniority

So lets say that Furloughed (or one of the other 1800 refugees) declines to go to MidAtlantic at this time.

They take a bypass and are put down as a "no preference".

Now fast-forward about six months or a year. US Airways has turned the corner and things are looking pretty good over there. (It could happen!):rolleyes:

MidAtlantic advertises a class to begin in a few weeks and Furloughed sends in a new preference form indicating his desire to now go to MidAtlantic Captain.

They accept his form and he is scheduled to attend the next class.

Will he then fall into the seniority list in whatever position his
01/99 DOH would hold?

Or would he go to the bottom of the list and be junior to the wholly-owned guys?

According to USAir, the furloughed guys can bypass MidAtlantic indefinately and need only send in a form when they're ready to go to class.

If that is the case, then "FurloughedAgain" or any of the other 1800 guys dont have anything to lose by bypassing MidAtlantic. It seems to me that they can just keep MAA in their back-pocket as a nice plan-B in case something happens to their current jobs or US Airways looks better. In the meantime their seniority would theoretically get better and better and if/when they DO decide to come back, they would be senior lineholders rather than junior reserves.

Or am I understanding it wrong?

Mda

A furloughed US Airways pilot (APL Pilot) will always be able to bypass MDA and always retain his or her seniority.

The most senior Wholy Owned pilot on the CEL, will be 1 number junior to the most junior mainline pilot on the APL.

Little Duece said:
A furloughed US Airways pilot (APL Pilot) will always be able to bypass MDA and always retain his or her seniority.

The most senior Wholy Owned pilot on the CEL, will be 1 number junior to the most junior mainline pilot on the APL.

Duece,

If a furloughee passes on MDA how are future offers handled? Do they go back to the APL for each and every Captain slot that opens up? Even if they have been hiring off the street?

And it was asked before though I didn't see an answer. How will recall be handled should U somehow pull this thing out of the fire and begin to do well, concerning the W/O pilots who are on the property and technically are USAir mainline pilots? Would they somehow rate over furloughees who passed on MDA or not?

I have my own feelings about the pay scale at MDA, and the pay cut that I would incur should I elect to go to MDA, but that is an issue with the MEC and not the crews flying the birds, however this situation is becoming very haphazard and unclear. The lack of information coming from ALPA on these issues is making an educated decision near impossible. It has gotten so I can't even tell if choosing one way or the other is screwing myself or not!!

On one hand I am aprehensive of leaving a good corporate job to go to a regional feeder for a failing carrier, on the other hand, it is technically a recall to my airline. Given the track record of the MEC over the last two years (Retirement, etc....) I do not trust them to look after my best interests, even if I am on the active dues paying list. On that note though, if USAir does make it, they would then be the better choice over a corporate job in the long haul. My current position is stable and looks to be there for a long time to come but when dealing with corporate you do have to look at the averages. And they say that in the corp. world you are going to be looking for a new job about every seven years.

Hmmmm I seem to have been thinking out loud, so to speak!

Bottom line, from one furloughed puke to another, Since you are on the inside at MDA, what are your thoughts on the subject? I know that the phone is going to be ringing in the next few weeks and I a trying to assess the options.

Thanks,

Confused with a headache.

Take your time, you are only going to gain seniority over at MDA, and have nothing lose it. Just sit back over the next year and look how all this pans out with MDA. Put No Prefence in your bid and then they wont call you. If you are making more money now, why the hell go. You can put US Airways Only, and they will only call you when U Mainline hires again (if ever). But if all looks good, then put in for MDA Cap. You have nothing to lose. Believe me, once Jet Blue gets there 100 EMB-190's they will go through the MDA list of Capts. fast to get qualified EMB drivers. MDA will be the training ground for J.B.
If I had a family to support, then I would stay at the job that pays well and wait till you get called back to mainline... You regain your longevity there.... But if single, then its a toss up... Good Luck which ever route you take.

Folks are leaving

One of my co-workers just accepted his recall to MidAtlantic.

I have to say i'm terribly jealous. The prospect of going over there and flying a fantastic machine from the left seat (while upgrade will likely take the better part of a decade at Comair) is definately a siren song.

I still feel as though holding-off for the time being is a better decision, but it is breaking my heart to make it -- especially when I see friends and co-workers jumping at the opportunity all around me.

I sure hope i'm doing the right thing.

Mda

Furloughed;

Have you looked at the TP plan and Lakefeilds presentation at PIT last week?

Call me crazy but I am VERY optimistic for the future. We have an 85% load factor here. Plans for 40 more mainline aircraft and 7 more international destinations. Granted, this is all baised on the new cost structure. Airways is finally doing what it should have done a long time ago.

Closing PIT training. Re-aligning some departments in Flt Ops.

And the best part, moving the ERJ-170 sim to CLT!

The 170 is a fantastic airplane. Yes, there have been some bugs, but most of them have been worked out with the new software load.

Good luck with your decision. The good news is, you will NEVER loose your seniorityso you can afford to wait and see how the "plan" plays out.

Hey F70,

Is it Sam, or is it a single guy who keeps having trees fall down behind his shack? Pain is the weakness leaving my body.

4lowed

PS Nevermind, I only know one person who flew all those versions of those dangerous turboprops from DH out of south Jersey.

Last edited:
Sam

Thanks Sam,

I'm pleased that things are going well for you. Wish I had the guts to give it a shot, but I guess i'm a bit of a wimp.

By the way, did we share a 737-300 initial a few years back? AQP guy?

Latest resources

Back