Micro Manager Sir Captains.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dear Sire Captain,

You are a the fine gentleman who finds himself (for whatever damn reason you can't figure out... damn it what is wrong with the world today?) ALL THE TIME or MOST THE TIME paired with FOs whome you have the huge urge to always tell: when to start down, put the gear down, do this, do that etc... you are sick of it too.

There are two things I can tell you:

1. You Sire Captain are not flying by the book. Although you have promised me on leg one you would. That is why everyone else does it the other way. You know, the standard way. It is in the book that goes with your current airplane issued by your current company. No nonoononon... not the one you flew for 30-40-500000 years. The other one! And yeah, they change that book once in a while.

2. You my honor Sire Captain are a micro manager and we all hate to fly with you. Because, unlike you, most of us decide in a delicate way when and for what reason to speak up. But you just can't shut it. You know not everyone puts the gear down on downwind 5 times out of 5 approaches. It scares the people at 250. Ohhh well...

However if you are a cool CA who has to manage someone once in a while, that is perfectly normal and it happens from both sides of the plane. We have no problem with you and the above was not meant for you.

Ohhhhh and one more line to the FOs.

Dear Flap Handle Operator Brother,

If you are ALWAYS being micromanaged by EVERY one of your Dear Sire Captains... ouch.... you probably suck. Sorry.

Alright.... flame away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And yeah I am on one of those trips.... crap it sucks. What else is this forum good for other than venting. Huh?

huncowboy,

Weren't you the same guy who just a few months ago was so eager to get information about working here?

So, let's summarize: 1) the ink hasn't yet dried on your company ID 2) you probably haven't finished with your 100 hours in 120 days 3) you just got over checking out your cool new Airbus sticker on your flight bag. Am I far off the mark?

Here's some advise--at least until the above categories don't fit, don't be so quick to throw any stones. Ever heard of professionalism? Part of professionalism includes sucking it up when you fly with one of these guys. To be fair, 90% of our guys/gals are a treat to fly with. Yes, we have our 10%, but you said yourself that everyone does. What you're doing makes no more sense than cursing the clouds for the rain.

Some of these guys (your current captain obviously included) were not blessed with the greatest in personalities. Social interaction is not one of their strongpoints, and this holds true for many in the industry. Pilots also tend to be some of the most narcissistic people on the planet.

That said, this guy does demand at least enough respect from you not to spout off some immature rant on a public forum.

Don't be such a putz; we have enough things working against us all already--we don't need you to make us look worse. We already have fresh-out-of-Riddle kids checking their Facebook pages on our crewroom computers. Don't add to it.

gator

Dear Sire Captain,

blah blah blah blah blah blah

Let me guess, daddy paid for all of your training, your BMW, your X-box, and for your spiky hair with frosted tips.

The captain isn't your gardener. He's your boss. And if you manage not to get fired, you'll probably fly with a bunch of captains you won't like in your career.

Get used to it.

Also, most guys your age try to get laid when they're drinking, not raving about nonsense on an internet forum. Try it.

Maybe we could get a link straight to Facebook from the RA login... That would save so much time on my quick turns!

huncowboy,

Weren't you the same guy who just a few months ago was so eager to get information about working here?

So, let's summarize: 1) the ink hasn't yet dried on your company ID 2) you probably haven't finished with your 100 hours in 120 days 3) you just got over checking out your cool new Airbus sticker on your flight bag. Am I far off the mark?

Here's some advise--at least until the above categories don't fit, don't be so quick to throw any stones. Ever heard of professionalism? Part of professionalism includes sucking it up when you fly with one of these guys. To be fair, 90% of our guys/gals are a treat to fly with. Yes, we have our 10%, but you said yourself that everyone does. What you're doing makes no more sense than cursing the clouds for the rain.

Some of these guys (your current captain obviously included) were not blessed with the greatest in personalities. Social interaction is not one of their strongpoints, and this holds true for many in the industry. Pilots also tend to be some of the most narcissistic people on the planet.

That said, this guy does demand at least enough respect from you not to spout off some immature rant on a public forum.

Don't be such a putz; we have enough things working against us all already--we don't need you to make us look worse. We already have fresh-out-of-Riddle kids checking their Facebook pages on our crewroom computers. Don't add to it.

gator

gator,

You are all correct with the above. I did suck it up, I did not mention names, and to be honest the trip turned toward the better once the person started to thrust me.

But my post, as just about everyone misunderstood it, was not about a person, or a company. I know these guys and girls are everywhere. I also know that they are pretty rare and talking about percentages, I am sure it is right about the same for every operator.

A hard core micro management has never happened to me until this last week. I lived through it and I will fly with the guy again no problem. He did manage to teach me a bunch of stuff btw. However at its peak all I was trying to do was to figure out what he wants me to do, and I have started to 2nd guess everything I did. This is not healthy and I was about to ask him to finish up all the legs. But the next day I realized I just like flying this plane too much to give away my legs. In addition, a comment like that from me would certainly ice up the cockpit so instead I bit the bullet and started to talk him through everything I was about to do. It worked.

This is the end of the story.

However the post is about micro manager captains in general. I have no idea why everyone's first response is to try to figure out who and what company. Why? Who cares? It has nothing to do with that.

The bottom line is, it is not fun to fly with someone who is doing this. Micro management is not to be confused with the CA's usual coaching and interaction. I have no confusion about who is in charge and who will make the decision. I also know that the FO adjusts to the CA and I do all the time and did it again. I save my battles and copilot inputs for times when safety or my license is jeopardized.

But when someone tells you that you have burned a bunch of fuel because you went down from 350 to 300 2 min earlier than the 3:1 indicates, that is BS, especially when the same person does not want you to use spoilers ever. Ohhh but he will turn 2 almost all the time after push.

Or if you are flying downwind and trying to slow from 250 to 200 and he says not to. Then he makes you wait until you have to drop the gear. It makes no sense to me to haul butt flying 5NM away from the runway in the wrong direction. No traffic behind us btw. Also the gear scares the people in the back at 250. It is loud and you can’t hear ******************** in the cockpit. How about do not put the flaps down at 10NM. I am learning the profiles and energy of the plane and until I am comfortable I prefer to slow down on schedule and avoid high speed approaches. Why is that wrong? Especially when it is right out of the book.

To the rest:
Bighorn,
None of the ones listed above. It does not matter really who it was.

Jimmy C Corn,
I paid for my training full. I am paying myself for my BMW. I am a lot older than you think. Thanks!

Dc8b75v8r,
Just be happy that the official language is what it is or else you would be in deep trouble. Thanks for your worthless input!

BEfly,
Exciting like what? The CL65? Sorry I missed that one. Not much else to add I guess. Thanks!

Last edited:
If this was the end of the story, then why didn't you come on here and own up to it before half a dozen people called you out on it?

You sound like a politician--only willing to provide an explanation when you're caught with your pants around your ankles.

Shut up while you're still only 3 touchdowns behind.

gator

...the trip turned toward the better once the person started to thrust me.

Uhhhhh.... huh huh huh....

:D

Micro-managers drive me nuts; got to enjoy one of those a few weeks ago. I feel your pain.
There's a fine line between suggesting a helpful technique, and nitpicking because I don't do it "your way." A good captain understands the difference, and understands that there may very well be more than one "right" way to do something.

gator,

You are all correct with the above. I did suck it up, I did not mention names, and to be honest the trip turned toward the better once the person started to thrust me.

The captain was thrusting you.......you ended up being his bitch. That's pretty funny.

If this was the end of the story, then why didn't you come on here and own up to it before half a dozen people called you out on it?

You sound like a politician--only willing to provide an explanation when you're caught with your pants around your ankles.

Shut up while you're still only 3 touchdowns behind.

gator

gator,

Suddenly so upset? How did you catch me with my pants down? I am not living in front of the internet. I come back when I have time. I don't give _crap about politics. CNN makes me throw up.

The fact that only people with negative, and unrelated comments have contributed to the thread means that there is a lot of soul searching to do. WoW everyone is SOOOOO hurt. There is barely some rational comments. Why is that? Did I hit the soft point with some of the folks here? Is that you guys?

What is up dudes? Are you all hurt that the guy on your right has a different opinion? Did you all grow up flying in the 60s? I am sorry that must have really sucked.

Almost everyone in the thread takes cheap shots at me from different angles except the one that would actually have something to do with the topic.

Comment on the topic people. That is the problem with 99% of the threads here.

Has it happened to you? What did you do to solve it? Have you ever micro managed anyone, and why? Reason with me and show me I am wrong. You can flame too as long you put in a smiley I won’t get upset.

Pathetic and narrow minded comments. That is all I see.

Now would be the time I'd normally ask how my comments are irrational and unrelated to the subject, but I won't bother.

Now you're 5 touchdowns behind--game's over, I'm turning the channel.

gator

Latest resources

Back