Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

scubabri

Junior Mint
Coming into Toluca this morning, the approach controller cleared us for the VOR DME 2 15 and the ILS DME 15. When I responded that we were cleared for the ILS, he repeated the clearance for the VOR and the ILS.

Ok, this confused both of us, so we proceeded to intercept the ILS.

So for those of you in the know, was he clearing us for either approach and something just got lost in the translation, or did I miss something.

The ILS commences fromt eh PTJ VOR on the 123 rad to intercept the final appoach course, so I thought maybe he was trying to tell us something to do with that.

Ideas anyone?

sb

Outside the United States it is very common to be issued a non-precision procedure to place the aircraft in position for ILS approach.

Such as an NDB or VOR that will place you on an intercept radial for the ILS. You need to study up on ICAO rules and procedures.

scubabri said:
Coming into Toluca this morning, the approach controller cleared us for the VOR DME 2 15 and the ILS DME 15. When I responded that we were cleared for the ILS, he repeated the clearance for the VOR and the ILS.

Ok, this confused both of us, so we proceeded to intercept the ILS.

So for those of you in the know, was he clearing us for either approach and something just got lost in the translation, or did I miss something.

The ILS commences fromt eh PTJ VOR on the 123 rad to intercept the final appoach course, so I thought maybe he was trying to tell us something to do with that.

Ideas anyone?

sb

At MMTO they clear you for the VOR DME 2, ("to the" --> no spoken but meant) ILS 15 Approach, meaning PTJ is the IAF and you track the 123 outbound, and pick up the localizor course and track it inbound.

If coming from the other direction (Acapulco), they will clear you for the VOR DME 1 ("to the") ILS 15, which means you will hit the TLC VOR, track the 312 outbound (cant remember), then at 10 DME, make a right turn and pick up the localizor.

any MMTO questions let me know, I fly there about 3 times a week

** be advised some non-precision approaches in South America, with no radar contact, have NO IAF displayed on the chart. Its up to you to make a safe start on the approach.

little diff than the states

Since so many mexican airports have the VOR on the field...I would think every VOR approach would never have an IAF since the vor is on the field...

Same in the states when the navaid is on the field.

now that went back and looked at the approach, it makes sense to me, it just threw me when he cleared us for the vor dme and the ils, that wont happen again.

in guadalajara now thanks for the clarification.

ps where can i get a copy of the icao procedures

What satpak said...confused the hell out of me the first time too, but as you go to more mex stuff just always expect to start at the VOR on the non-precision for a turn to the ils. It's a nice way to keep you out of the mountains while out of radar contact.

PS-Where'd you stay in toluca? Last time we did the Crowne Plaza, not bad. Before we were hitting the Del something-or-other...not great.

Since so many mexican airports have the VOR on the field...I would think every VOR approach would never have an IAF since the vor is on the field...Same in the states when the navaid is on the field.

Not a confrontation, but it looks like I could do with some educumination about approaches lacking an IAF...???

Doug Parker said:

Always fly the full approach in MX - never accept RV to an approach fix in IMC.

Well that is not such a good idea...esp if you are going into popular areas such as CUN or PVR. A little common sense and knowing where you are in realtion to the approach and the field will go a long way down in Mexico. Wait till the day comes and you are"cleared for the appraoach" and you dont know which one they are talking about and you almost over the field. Elbows and a$$holes.

Latest resources

Back