• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Metroliner Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why does this airplane have such a bad rep? I loved flying the C-26 (mil version) in Europe. The 26 had a fairly nice EFIS kit, great legs, was pretty comfortable (& yes I've done the 14 turn 10 turn 14 ....) , and was pretty darn reliable. Although it was overly stable about the longitudinal axis because the ailerons were so far inboard, I never thought it was difficult to fly. Also thought the systems made a lot more sense than most of the other airplanes I've flown. Granted it had it's quirks, but just seems that the Metroliner has a bit of undeserved bad reputation. JMO, 265

Liked the pic btw freighthumper.

Frieghthumper,

Thanks for the link to the Sewer pipe. I have time in that plane 556UP
The UP stands for UPS. I used to work for Merlin Express who used to fly 12 Metroliners owned by UPS bought new from Sweringen. Word has it UPS did not want to pay the union rate for each type of aircraft the company flew thus the Manufacture formed Merlin Express to fly UPS sewer pipes. Back then UPS paid 747 drivers the same as 727, not sure now. It was a fun plane to fly and I had a great time.

KlingonLRDRVR

How do you load the Metroliner? I'd imagine it's a pain in the neck to put a bunch of square boxes into a round fuselage.

With knee pads and a belt for back support.

From what I see they have rollers in them, so you mostly roll the boxes all the way from the door to the 1st bay or throw the bags to the first bay. i guess it can take its toll on the line service people.

it's not hard at all to put square boxes into a round metro. the steps are as follows:

1. panic
2. scream
3. cram that mutha in any way you can.
4. and never tell the pilot you've blown out a bay and are filling the next one. weight and balance is for sissies.

these actual instructions are posted on (insert large freight company name) 's main building in (xyz hub).

actually it loads just fine. it's not nearly as roomy as a 1900, but it gets the job done. also, i don't know what the big deal about flying it is. if you can fly a chieftain you can fly a metro. i like it alot, just don't bring your B game to a V1 cut.

Agree about needing to be on you game w/ a V1 cut, a bit of a handful, but nothing that one couldn't be taught to handle.

Our birds were configured w/ 13 seats (1 for the crewman), a toliet compartment and the baggage area. On one flight, our last leg back home, the terminal at Sigonella pulls up with 5 baggage carts of mail to take to Naples, 1700#! After an hour and a half, and the 3 of us working together, we managed to get all of it in the airplane and still had room for one SpaceA pax! It was pretty funny watching the expressions on the guys back home as the bags never seemed to stop coming out.

Latest resources

Back