• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Metroliner Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I flew a metro 23 and 3 heavy (16500 MGTOW) with 10 seats, and a honey bucket in the back. Some of the most fun I've ever had flying airplanes. It's really fun when someone in the front seat decides to step to the back to take a leak. You can feel the CG moving rearward. BTW you can get a single pilot type on the SA 226 & 7, but I've only heard of single pilot op's when flying cargo under part 135. BTW, don't forget your film cannister lids to shut that damn beeping up.

Why didn't I ever think of that?

mdanno808 said:
BTW, don't forget your film cannister lids to shut that dang beeping up.

I have 3000 hours in that wretched machine and I've got the nervous twitch to prove it and I never thought of this.

I'm so stoopid sometimes.

Never flown a Metro, but I heard that when you get your type rating, you're issued a set of ear plugs at the same time?

chriskcmo said:
Never flown a Metro, but I heard that when you get your type rating, you're issued a set of ear plugs at the same time?

if you're flying a freighter then yes. ofcourse, i wore earplugs in the chieftain and 99 too. a 99 is far louder on the indside than a metro.

DirtyBeech said:
if you're flying a freighter then yes. ofcourse, i wore earplugs in the chieftain and 99 too. a 99 is far louder on the indside than a metro.

I've never flown anything with Garrett Engines, only the PT6 in King Airs and the PC-12. Both of which are pretty quiet. Is the 99 noisy because it's not pressurized?

yeah, because it's not pressurized, and all the soundproofing has been removed. everything i've flown with garrets (conquests and metros) seem to be much quieter on the inside than the pratts. might just be me though.

For me the Metro is comfortable without a headset, something I can't say about the 99. I don't do this regularly to save my ears from the freqs you can't hear, but it's nice to be able to take the clamps off for a few mins on a long leg. Also, the RPM is lower in the Metro with the big 4-bladed props. Out on the ramp is a different story however, dem Garrets are LOUD when you're outside, much worse than the 99.

As you taxi by everyone sticks their fingers in their ears. This is known as the metro salute.

Latest resources

Back