• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Metroliner Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It depends on how many seats are installed in the aircraft, by STC, etc. It is certified for a minimum flight crew of one pilot. If it has 10 or more seats installed, it is a two pilot aircraft under Pt135.

The Metro III is certified with one required pilot. Typically when carrying passengers in 135/121 operations two pilots are required. Operated under Part 91 with passengers in either the Metro III or Merlin IV (same thing) insurance companies might require two pilots.

For cargo operations single pilot is all that is required.

Not to get too deep, but I believe if it doesn't have a functioning autopilot, their must be 2 pilots for Intl. Ops. I ran into that when we would fly to Canada, or through Canadian airspace enroute to Alaska. Basically check the ops specs.

Not into Mexico, I operated a Metro III, heavyweight (16,000 # MGTOW) single pilot with no autopilot cargo ops in/out of Mexico. Nice long nights 6 hours plus, close to 8 at times (total flight time w/stops for customs and fuel) all hand flown (duh!). Builds Character.

Like the comment on 1900's verses the Metros!

Last edited:
But take a look at the accident record for the 1900, Jetstream and the Metro. Compare. While the Metro is one of the most difficult aircraft to fly, after the MU2, it has one of the best accident records of the three.

SA-227-AC/AT Type Certificate

Guys,

Here's the low down skinney ... The Fairchild Metroliner/Merlin IVC (SA-227-AC/AT) is a normal category airplane and requires a minimum flight crew of one pilot for day, VFR flying. Operating rules require two pilots when operating FAR 135 with 10 or more passenger seats or operating FAR 121.

Because this airplane was primarily used in the U.S. as a commuter air carrier under FAR 135 and so many crews were trained and qualified by those carriers in two pilot operations, the FAA took to issuing type ratings with a "SIC Required" limitation on the certificate. That makes it a two pilot airplane for day, VFR flying when the captain's airman's certificate is limited.

Canada does require commercial operators conducting IFR operations to have an operable "three axis" autopilot (read to mean horizontal and vertical controlable axis, not a yaw damper) or a crew of two qualified pilots.

Mexico has no such requirement. I believe Europe's JAA has a requirement similar to Canada, but it might not allow an autopilot in lieu of a second pilot but I'm not certain.

TransMach

Latest resources

Back