• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Metro Bus driver highest paid city employee $160,000

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The fact that you have already decided you cant achieve what others have from hard work, is really the tell all.

The fact that liberals want a small minority, "the rich" ,to be taxed down to a level where we are all "equal" is really a sad state we have reached.

You have been brain washed that somehow this will make it all better.

Capitalism isnt perfect, but its the best system out there. If you dont like it, move somewhere else.

The fact that you have already decided you cant achieve what others have from hard work, is really the tell all.

The fact that liberals want a small minority, "the rich" ,to be taxed down to a level where we are all "equal" is really a sad state we have reached.

You have been brain washed that somehow this will make it all better.

Capitalism isnt perfect, but its the best system out there. If you dont like it, move somewhere else.

I don't know any liberals who think that we need to transition to communism or any system where there aren't "rich" people, but I do know plenty who think that the top 3% should not control 92% of the wealth in this country.

Says the airline pilot, ruled by a seniority system.

News flash, Medeco... this isn't capitalism anymore, nor is this a democracy. It's an Oligarchy.

And if you don't know what that means, here ya go.

I don't know any liberals who think that we need to transition to communism or any system where there aren't "rich" people, but I do know plenty who think that the top 3% should not control 92% of the wealth in this country.

Ahh, very interesting view. You say that the top 3% should not control all the wealth.

What, exactly, do you understand "wealth" to be?

Property? Cash? Financial instruments?

Let us consider Bill Gates or Warren Buffet for example. I don't know what their net worth is supposed to be, but let us assume for the moment that it is a few billion dollars each.

The problem is that most people think that this type of rich individual can buy a few billion dollars worth of goods. It does not work that way, because the majority of the wealth of such individuals is held in ways where the value has to be assumed.

If Bill Gates attempted to liquidate his assets into cash, he would be worth much, much, less than his "sticker price" net worth.

You are being played, my friend.

While most people rage with envy over very rich entrepreneurs like Gates or Buffet, they are ignoring the real problem which is the banking/finance/insurance sector.

The finance sector has played a very neat trick on everyone by taking control of CASH FLOW. The thousand little ways they chip away at your personal wealth production is a greater threat to your financial success than the "sticker price" value of guys like Gates or Buffet.

I highly recommend a white paper called "The Mystery of Banking" by Murray Rothbard. Google it - it is a long pdf, but worth the read.

Anyway, as long as politicians keep everyone hyped up wanting to tax "the rich", all that will happen is that business and jobs will suffer.
People are so busy envying the "rich" that they don't even understand how the banks have commandeered their cash flow. The finance sector and the Federal Reserve are the problem.

Do you understand what fiat currency is? Fractional reserve lending? The inflationary effects of endless credit creation? Is the Fed's quantitative easing policy good for you? Or bad?

Become informed if you want to understand where your money goes. Otherwise you end up being just another uninformed citizen screaming for higher taxes. The bankers are way smarter than you. But you can change that if you are willing to learn.

News flash, Medeco... this isn't capitalism anymore, nor is this a democracy. It's an Oligarchy.

Unionization of PRIVATE SECTOR workers is not inherently anti-capitalist. If the labor force of a particular company wishes to organize, then why is that considered hypocritical, as you imply?

I am neutral to slightly pro private sector union. Lots of defects, but for large companies, sometimes unionization id the only viable means.

And yes, we do have a partial oligarchy, especially in the financial sector, where people have the hardest time detecting it.

Most people have no understanding of money or how the government creates it. Also, most people think that "money" and "wealth" are equivalent terms, which is another way that the financial sector plays everyone.

Umm, yeh I'm up to speed thanks! Hah! JERK!

I chose to enter the industry, knowing the rules, I'm not here trying to act like I was duped into something. You assume that a pilot here has no other ambition in life, or additional form of income.

I'm not living in a dream world, I do believe in the power of the people to vote out the "ruling class" and we have a chance to change the tide in one week.

Keep the Dems in majority power and we will soon have a man in power who would love a monarchy.

A very similar thing happened at many of the legacy airlines after 9/11. Their management laid off so many of their ground personnel that they always needed additional people to work overtime. The most senior ramp workers got first choice at working overtime. Rather than keep the lower paid junior workers they already had, they ended up paying the highest paid senior workers time and a half to cover their shifts. It ended up costing them more in the long run. And that is why we have rampers making $70,000/year.

It was the stupidity and short sightedness of their managment, not the employees at fault.

The fringe benefits of having an employee on the payroll are very costly these days. Thus, within limits, an employer can pay an awful lot of overtime premiums with fewer employees on the roster and still be better off on the bottom line. A graph illustrating the algorithm looks just like the graph that shows minimum total drag on an airplane.

They didn't teach compound interest where you went to school did they?

Understand this... the rich WILL ALWAYS GET RICHER!!!
The debate should be how to make more people rich, not to punish those that have at the expense of the poor.

Here's a hint... the libs hate the rich, so why would they want to create more of them?[/QUOTE]

Since so many libs (at least those in the "political class") are rich, one could surmise that they have a vested interest in limiting the size of that demographic in order to preserve their status. Their determined efforts to promote the growth of the dependent class seems to support that.

Do I think this driver was over paid, of course. One sentence that everyone seems to be over looking is the one about limiting they're pay to $70,000. They tried that a few years ago and no one would take the job. Imagine if that happened in the airlines.

Speaking of limiting pay, didn't the Obama Pay Czar make a move not long ago to limit compensation in the financial world?

Apparently Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac are not part of the financial world, since their high rollers were exempt from this initiative. Does anyone have any suggestions that might explain this anomaly?

The crux of my entry into this thread, is the hypocrisy of union members lamenting wages achieved by union actions in the public sector; going so far as to invoke some Rand references and the election in Nov as a solution.

Obviously many public sector professions are denied union representation. At least I don't recall any union drives while in the Army. But many public sector professions which have private sector near equals, are justly entitled to representation.

Now, being a taxpayer I certainly wish public sector "management" would actually run the "company" like a "business" and perhaps try to keep costs down, rather than treat their workforce as just a voting block to be pandered too. But perhaps the same motivation which makes corporations loathe to allow unions to hold a seat on the board is at work here?

Perhaps I am wrong and public sector unions should be illegal due to the inherent problems with a voter/worker vs management/politician relationship? This is a discussion board after all.

But none the less, a card carrying union member playing the Rand card is like Elton John speaking out against gay marriage.

Latest resources

Back