Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Caveman

Grandpa
I've been pondering this a bit lately and I thought it might make an interesting thread, especially considering how quickly this board can escalate to open hostility.

Except for the last couple of days I've primarily been a lurker on this board for the past few months. I post something every once and a while but generally I just read the stuff others post. When I started on here a couple of years ago I posted all the time but I started to notice that my internet persona was quite a bit more aggressive than in my real life. I'm an opinionated guy but I also get along well with most folks. Unless I'm delusional (not unlikely :D ) I never seem to find myself in engaged in any hostile confrontations as I go about my daily life. So why was it that I found myself at odds with some of you on a regular basis? I'm not talking about often but certainly more than in the real world. I decided that I didn't like engaging in verbal combat so I opted out and just lurked for a few months. I also noticed some other folks that didn't post as often as they used to but I would also see them logged on.

Here's what i want to talk about. What is it about us that makes us more contentious behind the anonymity of a keyboard? The simple answer would be cowardice. We are safe in our anonymity. I don't really think that's the case for most of us but it bears mentioning. So what is the real answer and what can we do about it? Or is it just me that takes on a slightly different personality in cyberspace? I don't think that's true either. So what is the dynamic that takes place here and why does any controversial topic quickly degenerate into a cyber-brawl? I know that I am making a concerted effort to not engage in any argumentative threads simply because I don't like the way I sometimes overreact. I find it interesting that for some reason messsage boards bring to the fore a side of my personality that I sometimes find disagreeable.

I'm convinced that most of us could discuss this stuff over a beer or a cup of coffee in a much lest contentious manner, but in here we get stupid. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
The board doesn't make me any more aggressive than I would normally be.

In fact, it makes me a little more eager to share an insight, because in real life we don't stand still long enough to have that kind of fellowship.

I'd have to spend a month at the Mid Atlantic Air Museum to find a guy who can describe the prefight of a DC6 like Mar just did, maybe a little more luck finding the ignition description from Asquared, and I'd have an equally hard time finding someone who has either the questions or the hostility about God that I find in just a couple of posts here.

Normally, we wouldn't know who these people are with such information and questions. We have opportunities here that don't normally pesent themselves, either by interest, inclination, or convenience.

Now if one has a desire to be wholly disageeable, or need to blow off some steam, this is one of the places that has the least dangerous impact to life and limb.

Anyway, it's like a microcosm of the pilot community: the opinions, the beefs, the experiences, and the insights.

And pilots DO talk about all kinds of things.

The problem with this board is that anonymity breeds bravado and insult. I think I was guilty of it to back during the Mesa takeover attempt.

I just want you guys to know I love each and everyone one of you, (even the arch conservative bible-thumpers.)

Howard Johnson Is Right!

What you got here are your real pilots that get all the hot planes and you got your pudknockers.

Right now I'm a world-class pudknocker in my current job and I'm not real happy about it. So that's part of it - while I do what I can to change my circumstances, many of us like and need to let off a little steam on a virtual board.

We can't act this way in real life or we'd get fired. But this is a cyber world and it's relaxing to call you an idiot for your comments about Flightsimmers, for example. Don't take it personally you Jarhead.

Aw, (slaps guy through wall) ,

Mongo

straight!

Caveman said:
What is it about us that makes us more contentious behind the anonymity of a keyboard?

Any thoughts?
It reminds me of the way we're inclined (I assume it's not JUST me) to attack when we're separated from the object of our ire by a windshield. You know, the other guy in traffic commits a crime against humanity in your presence (like changing lanes without signaling) and you have plenty to say about it. If you're sitting on the passenger side of your Mom's car and she commits the same crime, your expressions of disgust are somewhat more tempered.

It's much more difficult, sometimes, to be civil when you're not looking at a person face-to-face. It's amazing we as a society have been able to communicate through the written word at all. Or have we?

My $0.02 is that this board is not different from any other boards.
You get plenty flame wars in other boards as well. It is up to you to turn page or dive into the topic. Actually some flame wars on this board told me a lot about this industry.

Why fighting? Like others have said it, here with my 170 pounds I can shout at anyone... worst case I’ll get kicked. I would definitely think about it twice doing it on the street face to face, even against a child I wouldn’t. Just like the reason I obey every speed limit (lately... since I am thinking about aviation seriously) is the penalty. Remove it and I'll buy a valentine and am flying 120 on I95… for a while that is :D

If you're sitting on the passenger side of your Mom's car and she commits the same crime, your expressions of disgust are somewhat more tempered.

Ah. I see you know my mom. We don't let her drive any more.

:D

Having just gotten out of rush hour traffic in ATL, I was going to make a driving comparison also...slightly different though. I'd equate the anonymity here to the "force field" the car gives you. Some may inclined to yell at or flip off another driver while in a car, but what about when someone irritates you to the same degree when you're face to face? Not so confrontational, are you? I admit it. I'm not.

Latest resources

Back