Message Board Psychology 101

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jmmccutc said:
see i think the difference between me and what everyone else is saying is that i'm as straight forward in person as i am on this board, i'm the nicest person you ever will meet, but i don't tolerate stupid people well...(and like typhoon124 said, chas will think i'm a prick, but oh well i don't care...Comm air said, Besides, nothing kills a thread more than everyone had the same, middle of the road opinion...this couldn't be more true...

(any one over 25 is an old timer far as i'm concerned)...believe me in real life i'd never tell some of these guys what i thought, they might take offense to it, coming from a smart ass kid...here i hope they laugh at me...
In just a few short minutes you managed to contradict yourself and prove the point with which you disagreed. :)

While you initially wanted to claim that your online persona is no different thatn your in-person persona ("the difference between me and what everyone else is saying"), you admit you'd never talk to these 25-yr-old oldtimers in person the same way you'd talk on-line. So now that you've proven the premise of the first post by Caveman, can you provide insight into the explanation?

thanks for clearing that up tony, st. patrick was giving me some devine liquid intervention last night...

Jmmccutc said:
...everyone crying about how little timmy made fun of you...
Well to be fair, I've never actually cried about it. (I only cry during E.R. and checkrides. :D )

I'd be lying if I said it didn't bother me when people get the wrong impression of me, though.

Well to be fair, I've never actually cried about it. (I only cry during E.R. and checkrides. )

Would that be when Mark green died while on vaction in Hawaii, or when Luka died in Africa? :D

I'd be lying if I said it didn't bother me when people get the wrong impression of me, though.

That bothers me, too. I often smile when I post, and sometimes it just doesn't come through. I don't even "thump" my Bible (bad for the binding) but that doesn't come across either.

I think it's just a limitation of the medium.

I believe at least part of it is miscommunication. Let's face it, how many of us ten years ago, before the growth in popularity of message boards, would have considered our written English skills excellent? I certainly wouldn't have. Today these same people, myself included, have an easy-access outlet to express themselves - the catch is the only way to communicate is to use skills that ten years ago didn't hold as much value.

How many letters did you write ten years ago? With the explosion in popularity of e-mail and message boards, now nearly everyone is writing more frequently...even if they have poor writing skills.

I remember reading that communication is 70% non-verbal. Strong written communication skills are necessary to express oneself correctly when writing is the only form of communication available.

We have a few members on the boards who have outstanding writing skills, and I enjoy reading their posts, even if I don't necessarily agree with them.

Now, because I've written something in this post someone will misinterpret, someone will need to post a response expressing their outrage.

Who'll be first?

Come on now. Don't be shy. I know you're out there!

Message board psychology

My theory would be that a reasonable discussion will start and someone out of nowhere and for no apparent reason will flame one of the posters. That person will react to that person in kind. Then, it goes downhill.

Admittedly, it's hard to avoid reacting in kind to someone after he/she has fired off invective and insults at you, again, for no apparent reason except that he/she disagrees with you. Or, for no apparent reason at all.

Some people tend to be blunt. Some people cannot handle bluntness, so they react to it. Sometimes, talking (or writing) in a straightforward manner without sugarcoating is taken as an attack, when that is not the intent. In other words, "I want to know the truth!" "You cannot handle the truth!" And the discussion deteriorates.

Perhaps the best philosophy is to try to keep discussions on as high a level as possible and try to give less credence to those who refuse to or are incapable of reasonable discussion.

Last edited:
Re: Message board psychology

bobbysamd said:
Perhaps the best philosophy is to try to keep discussions on as high a level as possible...
I agree, and you, Bobby, are the best example of someone who does just that.

Bart and Vladimir Lenin, on the other hand... :D

Message board psychology

Perhaps the best philosophy is to try to keep discussions on as high a level as possible..
Typhoon1244 said:
I agree, and you, Bobby, are the best example of someone who does just that.
I appreciate that, my friend. But, as I amended my post above, it's hard not to react to invective, especially when the "invector" has it coming.

Try to keep it professional. It can be done, no matter how emotional one is about an issue. We've had some great, constructive discussions here. The one about two years ago on unions which Enigma started is one example.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back