Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

xcr600

Mesaba CRJ

OK XJ guys I am looking for your opinion on this. I have been recently hired by Mesaba to start next month in what I am told will be one of the first CRJ classes. What kind of schedule do you think I am going to end up with in the short / long term. I am thinking being in the early CRJ class should give me a good chance at holding a line right out of IOE, is this reasonable? Also I have heard rumor of other FOs switching to the CRJ. Will they do this? the way i read it if they take a voluntary AC switch they will be seat-locked for another 24 months. And if others do switch to the CRJ will they be able to out bid me for a line? This is all so exciting yet confusing at the same time.

Thanks

Last edited:
crj

i dont know why anyone would give up another 2 years just to fly the jet, at mesaba you upgrade to captain in the saab anyways. Plus the pay is the same. I would think that you would get a line right away and I hope to join you soon.

I'm sure its all based on senority...and since Mesaba F/O's can bid between AC you may be senior on the CRJ for a few months until prooving runs and stuff are all finished then any F/O who is not seat locked can come in above you.

You're probably gonna see very few FO make a lateral shift to the CRJ. Most who are eligible to do it will stay put until they upgrade. There's very few reasons to do it. Regardless of which aircraft we fly, FO's get paid the same. And the seatlock is a big negative. So I wouldn't worry about FO's switchin' to the CRJ.

So by a 'big negative' do you mean that the seatlock does not exist or just the fact that it does so most will not be willing to be seat-locked for another 2 years?

I recently heard that the XJ CRJ program is running well behind schedule and CRJ's won't be flying at Mesaba until December? Any truth to this? I can't imagine that they would start training (FO's especially) for an aircraft that was five to six months from flying.

When we started getting CRJs the FO's that were assigned that position sat around doing nothing for months while all the captains were out flying together trying to get off high mins.

We really haven't heard too much in terms of a progress report as of lately. We just had a vacancy notice a couple of days ago looking for the ICLCA (Initial Cadre Line Check Airmen). But since the announcement, they said that the first classes will start rolling in August for captains and FOs. And we haven't heard anything contrary to that, as of yet...

Latest resources

Back