Mesaba Recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can We all Say SJS...

Whatever F/O position you are awarded you will be in that position until you upgrade to Captain...(This is a new change in the contract, hence you are seatlocked in the Saab) yes a new hire could get your shinny new 900 while your slugging it out in the Saab. Why do you think the company has a vacancy out for 40 Saab Fo's. That's where most of you were already trained. They recall you, put you in the Saab, then hire off the street for the 900 fo's...

Also, what do you guys think about Mesaba's growth potential beyond the 36 CRJ's. Does anyone think we will end up getting Compass's airplanes? I think that NWA might emerge from bankruptcy and liquidate Compass. Is this true, or am I completely out of my mind?
It depends on NWALPA on the fate of mesaba. It is very possible NWALPA will accept additional valuations on the pilot contract which in turn could lead to the carve out for 36 CRJ's that can only be operated by mesaba as a wholly owned. If such is the case Mesaba won't get anything other than 36 CRJ's, Q400s maybe. You have to think in terms of what provides maximum return to the investors in these new wholly owned subsidies. If it turns out the Mesaba is growth limited, all growth will go to compass to maximize return.

NWALPA has taken the stand to comply mesaba to the terms of a wholly owned subsidy regardless of growth. This would be best case scenario for the pilots, but not for management. The bottom line is any scenario results in more lower paying jobs, and a reduction of higher paying ones. However, if ALPA would look at the productivity of the pilot group and choose the best scenario we would be on the right track to restoring this profession.

Can We all Say SJS...

Whatever F/O position you are awarded you will be in that position until you upgrade to Captain...(This is a new change in the contract, hence you are seatlocked in the Saab) yes a new hire could get your shinny new 900 while your slugging it out in the Saab. Why do you think the company has a vacancy out for 40 Saab Fo's. That's where most of you were already trained. They recall you, put you in the Saab, then hire off the street for the 900 fo's...

NOT true. The seat lock provisions didn't change from what they were. 3 years without upgrade FO's can switch then are locked for 2 more years (including no upgrades) Returning furloughes can bid for which seat/plane/base they want and will not be seatlocked from upgrading even if they were furloughed from the CR2 and come back on the SF340 for example.

I think they will be lucky to find 40 pilots out the list who are willing to come back. We got furloughed a year ago. Some people may have situations where it will work out but I'm sure the vast majority (like myself) waited a month or two and moved on......

did u guys hear that the job fair that mesaba was at had not too many qualified applicants.....this will get interesting....cancelled vacations...junior manning since there will not be enough pilots....oh great..........

I am also furloughed and was just wondering if I stand a chance at getting the jet f.o. positon in DTW or will I come back as Saab F.O.? I was on the saab, so if I come back as Saab f.o. will I need to take the long course again?

Also, what do you guys think about Mesaba's growth potential beyond the 36 CRJ's. Does anyone think we will end up getting Compass's airplanes? I think that NWA might emerge from bankruptcy and liquidate Compass. Is this true, or am I completely out of my mind?

Not much of a chance getting Jet FO upon initial return. I have heard of a bunch of 3+ year FO's who are active and are going to bid over to CRJ900 FO. Once your recalled and have your 3 years in then you can bid into a vacant CRJ FO slot.

Not much of a chance getting Jet FO upon initial return. I have heard of a bunch of 3+ year FO's who are active and are going to bid over to CRJ900 FO. Once your recalled and have your 3 years in then you can bid into a vacant CRJ FO slot.

I wonder how many 3+ year guys are gonna want to be locked in that spot (CRJ900 FO) for 2 years though. IF the 900s come as scheduled, and IF the Saabs all stay, and IF attrition remains high, Saab upgrades might go quite deep within 2 years.

NWA's publicly announced and clearly stated plan is to have all 49 Saabs stay as well as the 36 new crjs. Whether or not the ASA is signed yet, I don't know. I know everyone is pissed off and does not trust NWA or XJ management, but I really think that we will have at least 85 planes in 2 years. Remember, they MUST build us up if they want to sell us. They also must reasonably guarantee the terms of the ASA on to the next purchaser.

Current attrition is around 10-15 month. Run those numbers, and virtually all FO's (not including furloughees) will make Saab Captain within the two years. Many should make it in the next few months.

Do they really want to be seat locked as an FO for two years?

My thoughts exactly... Why would 99.9% of the FO's seatlock themselves when almost any with the 3 years in to switch will be looking at upgrade within the next 2 years. If they aren't then they are likely to be displaced because of plans not panning out again.

My thoughts exactly... Why would 99.9% of the FO's seatlock themselves when almost any with the 3 years in to switch will be looking at upgrade within the next 2 years. If they aren't then they are likely to be displaced because of plans not panning out again.

Easy, I just flew with a guy who just had his 3 year anniversary and he can't hold MSP as a Saab FO. He is bidding CRJ900 FO to get MSP based. I will all but guarantee you that the 1st 10 slots will go to active XJ FOs. The bottom 50 active FO's are looking at a couple years till upgrade anways and thats not counting the senior "career" FO's that never upgraded to begin with. Just wait and see how it pans out come award day on Feb 13th.

Latest resources

Back