• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MESABA question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would be up front, I know a guy with the same type of deal. Minor consumption. He forgot about it, Got hired and it came in the background check. Let put it this way. He doesn't work for that regional.

I love how these posts always start out with "I have a buddy who has a problem"
I think people get too wrapped up about this kind of stuff prepping for an interview. I'm sure there are perfect people in this world and I'm sure they are very boring as well.
I have walked into 3 airline interviews and said that when I was 19 I was young and stupid. Here is what happened... I got all 3 jobs and each time had the impression I recieved points for being honest.
Trying to do damage control after the interview is probably too late. However not disclosing a skeleton in the closet will get you thrown out of indoc after about 3 days. Seen it a couple times.

Last edited:
Generally, HR or security find something on the FBI record before class, they might call for an explanation. Some applications do not ask if you have any prior arrest records. You might want to have a chat with the HR person who will do the background check for feedback and discuss it with the CP.

Be upfront on the situation and get a copy of the disposition from the court. The FBI records typically only show the arrest charge but not the outcome.

Good Luck

Be upfront on the situation and get a copy of the disposition from the court. The FBI records typically only show the arrest charge but not the outcome.

Good Luck

This is an important point. The FBI is required to receive a copy of the arrest (report and mugshot) from the local LE dept. and the disposition of the case is supposed to be sent to the FBI and updated. This in many cases does not occur. You need to get a copy of your FBI background and anything that isnt correct needs to be handled by your local court and they have to submit the update (charges dismissed, felony, etc.) to the FBI for correction.

You can request an FBI report - just send them a few dollars and your prints. Just go to their website.

Generally, HR or security find something on the FBI record before class, they might call for an explanation. Some applications do not ask if you have any prior arrest records. You might want to have a chat with the HR person who will do the background check for feedback and discuss it with the CP.

Good Luck

Just curious which airline you are referring to?

yeah I was hired at a regional but refused employment for a part-time firefighter gig (you know, second job and such) all because of a "charges dropped issue" Mesaba, if I remember right never even asked when I was hired. now I am reading this I am thinking I should run to HR and disclose everything-I will do that tomorrow on ready reserve- that way if I am let go, at least I got out of ready reserve and a weekend trip! Joking ofcourse

i have a buddy who has a class date - new to the whole regional thing - disclosed everything he knew in his background check (which was a spedding ticket)- even ran his own state police report on himself (he's also a substitue teacher) -- they still have to do the FBI background check on him -- here is the rub......he found out he has a non-felony, non-misdemaenor public intoxication (paid fine) that and airport cop was able to pull up in his records, what should he do?

And NO...its not me!

As a Mesaba newbie myself I would strongly suggest that your buddy calls the head of HR and make him aware of it. They do ask this specific question in the interview.

The FBI records typically only show the arrest charge but not the outcome.

Good Luck

Actually the law states that all files in the CJIS( Criminal Justice Information System) Have to be updated with either the final disposition or the current status of the case.

we have recently had problems with this same issue of pilots not disclosing skeletons in their closet, we have recently dismissed some pilots in the middle of training for these issues, in the last month of interviewing they stress the importance of disclosing everything in your background including unpaid parking tickets. Surprisingly, there are few things that will disqualify you from employment, as long as you are truthful and disclose it up front, they hate being surprised! Also be sure to fill out the online app accurately and truthfully as they will cross check this info in your interview. Good Luck, not trying to scare anyone, just an FYI, the background check will find things such as speeding tickets that are no longer on your CURRENT record. So if you know you got them, diclose them.

Latest resources

Back