• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba loses 13 more Saabs.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What is your reasoning as to why it is never going to happen?

Same story over and over and over....Delta and NWA don't merge their regionals, they trade planes between them and whipsaw each of them over and over .....With one regional handling service and bare bone staff for management and pilots at each it would be ten times more costly to merge them with minimal benefit to Delta or NWA. Take away some of their whipping boys? The whipsaw benefits are coveted by management. Do they need as many as they have now in order to still be productive at whipsawing? Probably not but I think they will continue to destroy rather than combine. Delta could have merged many of their regionals over the last 30 years....so could NWA. Look at all the playground games they have had with (Comair,ASA,SkyWest)...and NWA with( Express1,now pinnacle, Mesaba, the Big Sky diabolical)...NO Mergers. They buy this one, sell that one, buy it back.....buy another one and try to move all future growth to it...

Comair/Mesaba...OK anything is possible but not probable. IMO

Last edited:
Buck is exactly right.

Management would only consider a merger if it benefitted them. It may save a few dollars operationally, but the loss is on the other side with more senior/expensive employees.

Now, I will offer this.. Its possible mgmt would consider it, but they are going to use it as a big bargaining chip against the employees (of all the groups involved).

Same story over and over and over....Delta and NWA don't merge their regionals, they trade planes between them and whipsaw each of them over and over .....With one regional handling service and bare bone staff for management and pilots at each it would be ten times more costly to merge them with minimal benefit to Delta or NWA. Take away some of their whipping boys? The whipsaw benefits are coveted by management. Do they need as many as they have now in order to still be productive at whipsawing? Probably not but I think they will continue to destroy rather than combine. Delta could have merged many of their regionals over the last 30 years....so could NWA. Look at all the playground games they have had with (Comair,ASA,SkyWest)...and NWA with( Express1,now pinnacle, Mesaba, the Big Sky diabolical)...NO Mergers. They buy this one, sell that one, buy it back.....buy another one and try to move all future growth to it...

Comair/Mesaba...OK anything is possible but not probable. IMO
I don't see a merger of the certificates, but...

The battlefield is different now. Mesaba, Compass, and Comair now fall under a holdings company of DAL called MC holdings. Mesaba and Compass have been under it for a little over a year now, Comair is just coming under it so they may not see the changes yet. What they are doing is all subordinate jobs (Stores, Payroll, etc. HR staying seperate I think), are being done by MC holdings staff. At the same time a new ground handling company has been formed. At first it was called RHS, but it now seems they are calling themselves Regional Elite Ground Services. This is Mesaba, Compass, and Comair now combined ground handlers. So in essence, the only thing left at the three airlines are SOC, Maintenance, Training, Flight Ops, In Flight, and HR (?maybe?). The combined overall costs go down, but the costs of each independant airline will go up, because they will not have the income or cheap labor costs of the ground ops to offset labor costs.

So overall the three are already merged, but seperate certificates. The contract carriers will be hardpressed to be cheaper than any one of the wholly owneds.

Last edited:
Trying to find links for MCHoldings to prove it exists, but it seems they have taken their website down. It used to be www.mcholdingsinc.com.

But here is some documentation that it exists (may have changed names with Comair coming on). This is the lease agreement with the city of Des Moines for our hanger. Guess who signs it, the legal councel for MCH INC.

Maybe this guy could tell you their new name...

Or here's DAL Dec. 31, 2008 10K showing a subsidiary called MCH Inc.

Last edited:
And I smell KY, in the from of ASA being bought back so that big D can better control the ATL operation. Bad news for us, if it happens. Life under Skywest has been mostly better. Just the IT improvements alone seem to make it worth the transaction.

And after seeing what Comair has gone through...thank you baby Jesus, we got sold!!!

Big D is now Northworst and I do like this contract flying thingy...at least for now.

Latest resources

Back