• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba Lawsuit on Religion vs Scheduling

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Go back and read the article a little closer. These were people trying to do mutual swaps with other employees that were denied. They weren't asking the company to solely give them the day off. Shifts would have been covered, nothing was going to cause any harm to the airline's schedule. That is the difference here IMO. the HR Dept. should have been smarter before terminating an employee over this rule of theirs. nobody gets fired/terminated in big businesses without the "local pro" being consulted first.

As far as religion and holidays go, I agree with everybody. I am working today, and away from my family during Christmas. I knew what the job entailed, and I can live with that.

If I could have found another pilot to voluntarily swap with me, my company would have allowed it as long as it were legal.

Last edited:
This is BS. I am not anti semitic, but if Christians have to work on Christmas and Easter and Sundays, then there is no reason Jews can't work on thier Sabbath, Or holidays. I know several Jewish pilots who work Saturdays, do not keep kosher and work on Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur, Succoth, Channukah, Purim, Shavouth,Tish B'Av.
Did I leave any Jeiwsh Holidays out?

Anti-Semite!!!!

Very good point sir, does that mean that the said emp is now in breach of contract or lied on application and can be term?

No, because the company was in violation of the law. They are required to make reasonable efforts to allow employees to swap days, and they implemented an illegal policy that prohibited shift swaps. The employee was in breach of nothing.

This is BS. I am not anti semitic, but if Christians have to work on Christmas and Easter and Sundays, then there is no reason Jews can't work on thier Sabbath, Or holidays.
You're mistaken. Jewish law prohibits working on the Sabbath and many holidays. This isn't discretionary and exceptions are only for extreme situations when life is at stake. To my knowledge the only thing similar in Christianity is the Seventh Day Adventists.
I know several Jewish pilots who work Saturdays, do not keep kosher and work on Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur, Succoth, Channukah, Purim, Shavouth,Tish B'Av.
First of all, work is permitted on Chanukah, Purim, and the Intermediate Days of Succot. Second of all, Jews who work on the prohibited days (like me) are not fully observant Jews.

Regardless, none of this is relevant to the case which started this thread. This issue is U.S. law and what companies are required to do to accommodate religious observance. Observant Jews know their employers aren't required to just give them Friday nights and Saturdays off. There are plenty of observant pilots at U.S. airlines who manage to make it work one way or another.

Latest resources

Back