Mesaba Chief Pilot and Recruiting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
lets see how the numbers work

I know its late in the post, if there are any credible posts left in this one...Does anyone know for sure how they will recall? Will they tell you what you would be able to come back to? Just trying to make an educated decision here. What about seat locks? The best guess I have heard is somewhere along the lines of the top 400 holding Capt slots with the rest waiting for a long time. Anyone who is in the system with genuine advice care to weigh in???

36 new planes=approximately 360 new pilot positions=180 captain positions and 50 aircraft on property= approximately 500 pilots (we are supposed to be over staffed right now) so 250 captain positions, so we can figure 250+180=430 or so captain positions. Now figure the deliveries stop in 2008 a year from now and an attrition rate of 8 pilots a month average, lets just say 100 pilots leave by the time the last crj900 comes on property. That means that every active pilot should be a captain if they choose by the time the crj900s stop coming. th

Between Jan 15th and Feb 1, 30 pilots left. More have left since then, and more will continue to leave. A lot of them are Captains at XJ right now, going to Southwest, Spirit, AirTran, and Continental. At times, many go to FedEx, as well (I don't know about right now...) Some are still going to CityJet, and senior FO's are going to NetJets. Not to mention, Cathay, and Emirates, and a few others as well. Compass, for what it's worth, will probably also grab some current XJ guys.

Argue as much as you want about how 36 CRJ's is not growth. I agree, we aren't really "growing" until we top 100 hulls or so. However, the upgrade opportunities are there in abundance.

It's a gamble, but so is every other regional out there. Yes, SkyWest and CHQ are growing like crazy right now. We probably have some furloughs at SkyWest who are very close now to upgrade there. It still is not a "guaranteed" upgrade for those who come in now! No airline will offer that. At XJ, we know very well how things can change in an instant. There is no true security at any US pax carrier.

However, having a few years in a XJ still offers a better deal then starting at rock bottom as an FO at a different regional, especially when you factor in commutes and crashpads.

I know its popular for current XJ pilots to speak ill of XJ. But there are many people still out there who consider returning to XJ to be the best of a bunch of sub-par options. There is ample movenment coming on the XJ list to make it a reasonable choice.

So what if you won't make it to the top 200. That's not an option anywhere else, either, unless you get picked up in the first wave at compass, which is still a huge unknown.

Lighten up people. XJ is middle of the road. If you live in base, it's worth it. Some of us don't want to move. If that results in a "sacrifice", so be it. That's called a personal choice.

Last edited:
36 new planes=approximately 360 new pilot positions=180 captain positions and 50 aircraft on property= approximately 500 pilots (we are supposed to be over staffed right now) so 250 captain positions, so we can figure 250+180=430 or so captain positions. th

Don't forget about instructors and mgt pilots that don't fly the line but hold a senority number. Already 15 instructors needed per xj memo.

250 + 180 + 20=450 Captains Figure 200 just for the new crj's

I agree with the last couple posts. If you are an FO here, and cannot go to a major or a national, its best to stay here. I know a couple have left in the last couple months to various places, and if it makes them happy, more power to them and I wish them luck. But many of them left when we did not have a firm order (that can change as well), and made choices based on lifestyle and pay. If you were furloughed or had only a couple years invested here, it was better to leave to somewhere like Skywest, which with orders and proposed growth would make for a quick upgrade and better FO pay in the long run. Those of us with more time invested, and chose to hold out for something better comng along at XJ, should be rewarded with an upgrade. I am further betting on more than 36 aircraft and am hopefull that NWA pilots will somehow work us into their list. remember I said HOPEFULL, NOT EXPECTING

I agree with the last post. I think there is a chance NWA might get rid of Compass soon and possibly give Mesaba the ERJ's and we might end up on their list too. (with a flow down/up agreement, good or bad or whatever)

I have a friend who sits in on some of the meetings regarding the new terminal, and he hears many new rumors himself from NWA people. If you just take a look at Compass's website it is a joke!!

This is a direct quote from Compass Airlines website off the employment page:

"Compass is a company where you can make an impact. Explore our career opportunities and consider the possibilities awaiting you. Our employees work in offices, airports and inside the aircraft. They wear wings, crunch numbers, dispatch planes, and fly with a smile."

That doesn't sound to me like a very legitimate company.
Check it out for yourself at: www.compassairline.com

I really don't think sour grapes are the issue. I don't believe anyone who put in their time at Mesaba really wants the pilots, whom they worked alongside for years, to fail. If anything, its simply disappointing to see corporate greed rewarded, but the pilots have fought hard and deserve nothing but the best. Lets be honest though. You really shouldn't lead someone to believe that there is a possibility of a 2 year upgrade when there hasn't been one in 7 years! How long has the most senior FO been on property? No, a 2 year upgrade isn't "out of the question", but neither is a 10 year upgrade. The last CRJ isn't due on property until December 2008. Thats 2 years just for those. Please tell me you aren't already counting on the NEXT set of jets.
I'm just saying it isn't responsible to mislead someone who is attempting to make a career decision. Sorry if that offends you.

Good Post!

From inside the HR walls at XJ...

The website has advertised for just a few days openings for Pilots. They AVERAGE 100 resume submissions a day.

No matter what happens, there is still someone out there willing to work in a bad situation, as long as it is a jet pilot job.

What's wrong that that. Almost any turbine/turbofan job is better than most CFI jobs. Throw in a regualr paycheck and benefits with twin-turbine entry in the logbook, any CFI would be a TOTAL fool not to take this opportunity. Of course, from your point of view - and you did indeed do the same, take the airline job with the lowest pay and all that - you want these young pilots not to take these jobs, so in long term, you could benefit.

Interesting.

Bunny

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back