• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba Chief Pilot and Recruiting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A bunch of movement ahead. The 36 CRJ900s are just for starters. Don't believe the bitter people who are pi$$ed because they were hoping to see XJ fail. It's just all sour grapes from them and it's coming mostly from former XJ pilots who have moved on. I doubt a new hire will see a 2 year upgrade but it isn't out of the question.

I really don't think sour grapes are the issue. I don't believe anyone who put in their time at Mesaba really wants the pilots, whom they worked alongside for years, to fail. If anything, its simply disappointing to see corporate greed rewarded, but the pilots have fought hard and deserve nothing but the best. Lets be honest though. You really shouldn't lead someone to believe that there is a possibility of a 2 year upgrade when there hasn't been one in 7 years! How long has the most senior FO been on property? No, a 2 year upgrade isn't "out of the question", but neither is a 10 year upgrade. The last CRJ isn't due on property until December 2008. Thats 2 years just for those. Please tell me you aren't already counting on the NEXT set of jets.
I'm just saying it isn't responsible to mislead someone who is attempting to make a career decision. Sorry if that offends you.

I guess the point is just proceed with caution. I'm always expecting the worst case outcome, because that is what recent history favors. Lets not forget spring 2005 at XJ: 15 CRJs on the way, 10 year ASA for the Saabs and avros. A year later 11 Saabs are gone, the Avros are being removed from the fleet, and the CRJs topped out at 2. Now we're at 49 saabs ("core business") plus 1 crj 200. Hopefully this latest news will pan out and allow the furloughed guys to come back as well as eventual upgrades for the 7 year FO's.

Splitbar- for someone doing a lot of "educating" on the ALPA boards you seem to need some yourself. No furlough is going to get a part of the claim unless they return. So if you think by hanging on the list, keeping options open and not resigning unless they have to is GREED, what then do you call the line pilots that DON'T want the furloughs apart of the claim?

A furlough that returns for long enough for his/her claim is no different than the guy with Emirates, JetBlue, CityJet, Southwest, CAL etc... in the works, takes the claim and leaves for greener pastures.

FO

A bunch of movement ahead. The 36 CRJ900s are just for starters. Don't believe the bitter people who are pi$$ed because they were hoping to see XJ fail. It's just all sour grapes from them and it's coming mostly from former XJ pilots who have moved on. I doubt a new hire will see a 2 year upgrade but it isn't out of the question. It will be interesting to see the recall list. I'm sure a lot of people are just milking out the furlough as long as they can so they can take their creditor claim and bail. I would guess that one half of the furloughed pilots have no intention of returning yet they remain on furlough so they can take a share of what should rightfully go to the furloughed pilots who do return. Greed at it's best.

Y'all are unbelievable. A month or two ago Mesaba was going out of business 'cause y'all were going to burn it down. Now you're giddy over the growth that's coming and it's the place to be?

Well, the XJ pilots didn't burn it down because, after all the crap, the concessions essentially amounted to a 5% pay cut over 2 years. From 2-4 years, the cut works it's way from 5% to 0%, ending up at where our previous contract would be in 4 years. That place is: middle to upper middle of the road, with above average work rules.

Yes, it sucks that our managment are corrupt scumbags, who essentially got away with dipping into the cookie jar.

But the concessions are temporary, and not dire. Our health care was degraded a bit, but there are plenty of places with far worse benefits than XJ.

With the 14.2 mil BK claim paying out at 80-100%, this could even work out as a small payraise.

Pilots are pissed at management. Fine. Whatever. The pilots were ready to burn it down. All of our labor groups were backed into an ugly corner.

But our situation is resolved for now. Looking clearly at the situation, things are on the upswing again. All the hate is due to the fact that no one trusts NWA or XJ management. But remember: The way these guys get rich exiting BK is by making the company successful again. And we all know they are only in this biz to get rich.

Yes, our management got away with theivery. However, holding on to bitterness and anger is not going to do anyone any good.

In the past, Mesaba was a good place to be. Maybe it will be good again in the future.

All we have to work with is what's in the now.

See ya.

No furlough is going to get a part of the claim unless they return.

FO

As of now, the language for claim payout allows for furloughed pilots who remain on furlough to get a payout. When claim payout day + 30 days arrives, any remaining furloughed pilots will be eligible for their share of the 850,000 - 1,000,000 furloughee pool. I realize you might be wanting to come back from Cityjet so you will bypass as long as you can. If you are forced to resign before payout date + 30 days then you wont get a payout. If you are NOT foreced to recall or resign before payout date + 30 days then you will get a share of the claim. I believe this will be a moot point since it looks like we will go through the entire recall list before claim payout + 30 days occurs. Who needs the educating?? J/K ;) Hope all is well in Paris.

Last edited:
CAREER ADVANCEMENT IS TAKING PLACE AT ONLY 3 FEEDERS OVER THE NEXT FIVE YEARS: MESA AND REPUBLIC AND LAKES.

Thats my advice based on hard facts. Good luck.

Last edited:
Perspective

I was told in 99 during the interview that I would be a CA in 2-3 years due to growth. End result was that it took over 5 years. There was no more growth. A models started to leave with no replacements. Down rades/furloughs in 2001. Routes given to Pinnacle in DTW and MSP. Downgrades/furloughs happened again, Avros sent to the desert in 2003....rinse and repeat in 2005.

As stated before, the top 200 are not leaving, ever. Those are CA slots that will never come open. 36 new CRJs to REPLACE the lost Avros will leave 85 planes.

So the questions you have to ask yourself is: How long will it take for me to get in the top 400? Can my career endure a 5+ year FO tenure at a regional?

I was told in 99 during the interview that I would be a CA in 2-3 years due to growth. End result was that it took over 5 years. There was no more growth. A models started to leave with no replacements. Down rades/furloughs in 2001. Routes given to Pinnacle in DTW and MSP. Downgrades/furloughs happened again, Avros sent to the desert in 2003....rinse and repeat in 2005.

As stated before, the top 200 are not leaving, ever. Those are CA slots that will never come open. 36 new CRJs to REPLACE the lost Avros will leave 85 planes.

So the questions you have to ask yourself is: How long will it take for me to get in the top 400? Can my career endure a 5+ year FO tenure at a regional?
If you move laterally, you will again wind up a 5 year FO. The industry is moving to bigger jets to meet demand with lower paid pilots. Move to compass if you want a quick upgrade, heck you can even be a street captain.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back