• Watchers 11

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
story as told to me by fed

The FO was not drink. He and the 2 FA's went to dinner, captain walked by restaurant, saw them sitting there, believed they were having a drink with dinner, and called the company. The fed who listened in on meeting with said FO and company even said that firing was extreme. Nothing outrageous even remotely happened.

FreedomAList said:
Let's see, by drinking under 12 hours he:

1. Disrespected the operating policies of the airline, thereby risking the reputation (and thereby profitability) of the airline. Would you want your airline to have a reputation for having a bunch of rowdy alcoholics?

2. Showed contempt for his fellow crewmembers by trying to show up for flying after drinking after hours (thinking he wouldn't get caught). I've been in this scenario, and let me tell you, the company AUTOMATICALLY assumes the whole crew is GUILTY.

3. Demonstrated extremely poor judgement by (probably) showing up under the influence to fly revenue passengers. And if not this time, he would've in the future. Someone who can't go without booze for a couple of days is an alcoholic . . . and is a incident/accident waiting to happen.

I hope the FAA yanked his ticket for good. This chump has no business transporting my loved ones. No-one would think twice about calling a bus company if they saw a driver sipping out of a flask . . . why should pilots be held to a lesser standard?

Unfortunately the FAA cant do a thing unless someone either violates the 8 hr rule or has a BAC of more than .04. Other than that the person will get fired but gets off scott free as far as certificate action goes. Being fired for alcohol however is the kiss of death for the most part. I dont think telling a pilot who openly violates alcohol rules to call in sick is doing any good. If someone openly shows up hungover, wasted or drinks way past the limit they obviously have a problem. Just telling them to call in sick is like giving an alcoholic an new liver. Sure you have maybe fixed the situation for now but its only a matter of time before the booze catches up.

First Brainerd and now Grand Forks. It wasn't a good couple of weeks for XJ FOs.

Last edited:
W&BWiz said:
The FO was not drink. He and the 2 FA's went to dinner, captain walked by restaurant, saw them sitting there, believed they were having a drink with dinner, and called the company. The fed who listened in on meeting with said FO and company even said that firing was extreme. Nothing outrageous even remotely happened.

Sounds like the Captain was jealous that he didn't get invited to dinner!

If the rumors are true as to the identity of this captain I can see him ratting out the FO no problem. This captain is a real piece of work.

W&BWiz said:

Ya know, it would probably be better to drink somewhere else than the hotel bar and restaurant that you are staying at, especially at a flight school town like GFK, home of UND, where flight crews stick out like a zit on Ron Jeremy's a$$. Hotel people know when we have to be to work. So, if the CA walks by, in uniform (cuz he deadheaded in several hours after the FO and the FAs got in) and FO and FAs say to the CA "see you in the morning" (6:00 am show in 10 hours), and the bartender or server is within earshot, what should the CA do? He tried calling everybody in the union first and nobody answered. Too lazy to walk 3 blocks down the street to another waterhole, so you drink in front of everyone at the hotel you are staying. It's nature, the stupid and lazy get eaten.

IamGumbyDammit said:
Ya know, it would probably be better to drink somewhere else than the hotel bar and restaurant that you are staying at, especially at a flight school town like GFK, home of UND, where flight crews stick out like a zit on Ron Jeremy's a$$. Hotel people know when we have to be to work. So, if the CA walks by, in uniform (cuz he deadheaded in several hours after the FO and the FAs got in) and FO and FAs say to the CA "see you in the morning" (6:00 am show in 10 hours), and the bartender or server is within earshot, what should the CA do? He tried calling everybody in the union first and nobody answered. Too lazy to walk 3 blocks down the street to another waterhole, so you drink in front of everyone at the hotel you are staying. It's nature, the stupid and lazy get eaten.

Exactly. It's not like the CA had too many options. It sounds like the CA was put into a bad situation by a FO with very poor judgment. Were the FAs fired?

Last edited:
While the FAA MIGHT not be able to pull the FO's ticket, they sure can violate him in a hearbeat. The 12 hr rule in the company operations manual is a fed-signed document, and they can violate him for that just as easily as for breaking any other FAR.

And I have no doubt they (company or Fed's) investigated . . . . talking to the hotel bar, etc. I've been caught up in one of these things (another crewmember, not me), and let me tell you, the company wanted to know EVERYWHERE the crew went, so they could go and investigate (waiters, receipts, etc.).

He might not have been drunk, but he sure exhibited extremely (!) poor judgement.

Latest resources

Back