• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba Airlines Crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's BS. It was two mechanics taxiing it after a maintenance run, not pilots. They forgot to do something and didn't have any brakes.

Agreed. An Avro flying friend of mine said the same about the mechanics losing the brakes. Can't recall if was their error or a mechanical though.

I love how bad rumors get started. "the pilots forgot to shut-down engine number 2....." Right, they shut down 1,3 & 4 and just skipped right over the number two start lever, didn't notice the lingering engine whine, didn't get the "your chocked and secure" signal from the ground crew, and skipped the entire parking and securing checklist. What are we here, CNN?????????

Well consider the web site where these pictures were posted. Art Bell is an AM radio talk show host whose specialty is alien sightings and abductions. So when he claims it was the pilots that left an engine running and got up, I tend not to believe it. Besides, if these are legit photos, It looks like something more than a unchocked aircraft "rolling" into a jetway. Judging from the damage, it looks like the aircraft had pretty good momentum before impact.

apparenty the mechanic lost the brakes while coming into the gate.... because he shut down the engines and tried coasting into the gate! I guess avro brakes don't quite work like cessna brakes.

This is what i've been hearing. So if I'm wrong, please correct me.

Later

I have actually had to shut down an engine for some pilots that walked away from an ERJ. They packed up thier stuff and left, one of may mechanics came out to the sirplane and freaked when he saw that the #2 engine spinning away. So it can happen, I never reported it to the chief pilot, but I was seriously considering it. So never say never...pilots can do some dumb things..........just like mechanics can!!

Take care

JJJ said:
apparenty the mechanic lost the brakes while coming into the gate.... because he shut down the engines and tried coasting into the gate! I guess avro brakes don't quite work like cessna brakes.

This is what i've been hearing. So if I'm wrong, please correct me.

Later

It was a mechanic taxiing the Avro. He shut down all the engines and tried to coast into the gate. Unfortunately, the Avro has engine driven hyd pumps. When he hit the brakes to stop at the gate, he had none. If he would have turned on the electric standby pumps he would have been fine, but I guess he didn't think about that. Apparently this guy's nickname was "hotdog." He's had many problems in the past.

BAe/Avro Hydraulics

What most likely happened was when the #2 & #3 engines were shut down there wasn't enough residual hydraulic pressure left in the system to adequately stop an 82,000 pound rolling aircraft. The mech's little stunt may have worked if he had been running the AC powered hydraulic pump (assuming the APU was operative) which provides pressure for normal ground braking (among other hydraulic components) on the Avro. There is also an emergency brakes mode on this aircraft which automatically switches on all available hydraulic pumps to assist in braking. Still, it is very sad to see such a fine looking aircraft wrecked due to a careless attitude.

Skyking

HAHAHAHAHA.....

This is amusing listening to the bablble on what happened. Once again, the word on the playground is filled with half truths. And that would be that Mechanics were at the helm.

For all of you Avro know it alls let me give you a hint.

At what speed does the Anti-Skid turn on, and at what speed does the anti-skid turn off?

Last but not least do any of you Avro wanna bees know of any circuit breakers to pull that would make the airplane think that it was Weight Off Wheels?

Think about it and let me know if you want the "real" version, or the Art Bell version.

A side note is that the only person injured was the Captain waiting for his aircraft standing in the jet bridge.

Latest resources

Back